Is 'Nappy' a derogatory term???

kristina

I'm not sure if this is the right section (it's hair related of course but much deeper) but I wanted to get your thoughts on this.
This was inspired both by comments about short dry nappy hair in another post and by an employment discrimination case I read recently where white employees called the black employee's hair nappy (the EEOC has determined that nappy is a derogatory term). So my food of the thought is whether any of you ladies agree/disagree with the EEOC's assessment?
Aside from the reference to hair texture, the word is still used by people in a pejorative sense by people of varying ethinicities (synonymous with ugly and/or unruly). I could give an example but I'm sure this is unnecessary since it is so common. Then again, many of us have embraced the term proudly as a description of a hair type common to people of African origin. So with that said-
What are your general thoughts of the word nappy? If it's a term you use around blacks, is it a term you also use to the same extent around non-blacks? Why or why not?
Does the race of the person using the term effect your feelings on the term?
Can you and do you divorce any historically pejorative sentiment from the word?

I do feel that the term "nappy" has a more derrogatory connotation, although most folks who use it arent using it with those intentions.

I prefer the word "kinky," which to me means the same thing but without the negative political connotation. When my hair is in a state of being natural/coarse/un-relaxed..... I will state that it is "kinky." I dont use that term "nappy" at all. Ive never liked it.

I definately think the word 'nappy' can be used in a derogatory manner! The visual i see when I hear this word is: extremely coarse, short individual beads of hair. Thats my instant visual. Although when with my best friend, we refer to our new growth as 'nappy' even though I do not see this as derogatory:perplexed Actually, I am having a hard time putting to words what I'm trying to say. Yes, I have used the term 'nappy' around non-whites that I am friends with. If I heard them use the term, honestly, I don't know how I would respond. Alot would have to do with the way it was used, I guess:ohwell: I don't really put much weight to this term, not as much as good or bad hair. Go figure:look:

Kristina, I'll be honest- I am not quite sure how I feel about the term nappy. On one hand I could compare it to the word '*****' in the sense that it is, for some, okay to use amongst other AA, but when someone white says it, that's a definite no-no.
I visit nappturality and on there, the word is in no way described as something bad by its members. I guess it depends on several factors: who says it, how it's said, and in what situation the word is use in.
I guess for me, this is the one instance where I am slightly okay with someone turning something meant for bad into good.

I think others definitely use it negatively (blacks included), but I don't see it that way anymore. My hair grows in nappy, and if I didn't relax it, it would all be nappy. That's the truth, and I don't see it as something negative or something to hide from or be ashamed of.

I guess to me, naps are like wide noses, or round butts, or brown skin, or full lips. They are all a part of being black (for most), and I don't see any of the descriptions as insulting (anymore).

I use the word nappy. And when I think of the word, I think of the individual beads of hair (like someone else said). I also think of a little girl getting her hair combed and the comb not being able to go through her hair. That's when I say my hair is nappy. I don't think of natural hair, in itself, as nappy. Because sometimes the comb will go straight through my new growth, and sometimes it won't.

I don't get offended if a non-black person uses the word about themselves. I've had a couple white friends say their hair was nappy, and I would just tell them that their hair is tangled, rather than nappy. IMO, tangled is more at the ends, and nappy is more at the roots. Now if a non-black used the word in referrance to someone with NATURAL hair, then I would be offended. Actually, I would be offended even if a black person used it in that context. Because then it would be a direct reflection of our ancestors culture. Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it's nappy. I feel this way about the "N" word as well. However, I haven't done such a good job of not using the word myself. I know, that's bad and I'm being a hypocrite.:ohwell:

Before, I didn't get offended by people thinking that every woman with a relaxer must have nappy hair. And that is simply because I was ignorant about it myself. So, now that I'm educated, I can educate others. ;)

lauren450 said:
I think others definitely use it negatively (blacks included), but I don't see it that way anymore. My hair grows in nappy, and if I didn't relax it, it would all be nappy. That's the truth, and I don't see it as something negative or something to hide from or be ashamed of.

I guess to me, naps are like wide noses, or round butts, or brown skin, or full lips. They are all a part of being black (for most), and I don't see any of the descriptions as insulting (anymore).

Oh girl, you are going to get some comments on this one!!! LOL!!! I agree though!!!

I can't quite sum up my feelings on this one. On one hand thats like saying "brown skin" is derogatory, I mean, my hair is nappy so......but I guess used in a the wrong manner, I would be offended, but I don't know if thats b/c its wrong or b/c for so long nappy meant bad... Good question though.

ETA: I'm pretty much saying what Lauren said. lol.

I personally don't use the word or like it used towards me. It's not because I necessarily feel it's derogatory...I just don't like the sound of it, if that makes sense.

Like Kinikakes, I prefer the term kinky or tightly coiled instead of nappy. I have never been in a situation where the term nappy was used and it wasn't meant to be insulting or degrading. I would prefer the term kinky or tightly coiled to be used around both blacks and non-blacks (but more so non blacks).

lauren450 said:

ITA! I love my naps and describe my hair as nappy...I know alot of people use it negatively and I feel they have alot more to learn (and unfortunately most never will learn)--but I've come to peace with the term.

Personally speaking, I have no problem with the word- nappy. Heck, truth is my hair is nappy right now (8 week post relaxer). I don't consider it a derogatory word either. It's nothing close to the n-bomb.

Well, like most have mentioned, it depends on the who and whys.

I refer to my own hair as nappy, primarily because I don't look at nappy hair as something that is undesirable. Whenever someone mentions "nappy" hair as something undesirable and must be changed (like if someone says "oh, how do I prevent my hair from being so nappy" or "I hate my nappy hair"), then I feel like I almost have no choice but to take their use of the term as negative.

I don't use the term much around people outside of (natural) hair sites, honestly--it has too much baggage for most folks. I'll usually use kinky instead.

My opinion on the word nappy is that when used among black people it's generaly just a negative term. We use this word to describe hair that's "not good", and need to realise as a community that we shoudl get away from this negative mind set about our hair. It's just texture...it's not "good or bad". Nappy is historically degrading because the term originated when being used to describe that hair of "pure" african slave girls compared to their "mixed" sisters. So even thought it's not like the F word or anything, it's negative in the way it makes us feel about our God given texture.

As far as people from other races saying nappy, I just don't think you should use it if you don't understand it. It's kinda like how one black guy can call another black guy his n*gga and that's a term of endearment, but if a white guy says the same thing it's on and poppin. It's just one of those cultural "rules". Black people are very protective of their culture and their language, and the history surrounding the words we use is so rich its understandable that we would not want people who don't understand our story using those words without knowing the meaning behind them.

Chayil

ETA: I didn't want to start any drama, so I deleted a paragraph!!!

Back on topic. How is one person to determine whether or not another person's negative views are appropriate?? Someone may feel that there are disadvantages to being short. Simply because I love being short, who am I to say, "Don't say that. Don't have negative attitudes towards being short." I've experienced being short in MY shoes, not anyone elses. So I wouldn't know all of the challenges someone else had with being short. Does that make sense??

Last edited:
I hate to hear the word nappy. ITo me....it's equivalent to the word *****. I dont call myself a *****, therefore I dont call my hair nappy.

To me the word can be negative, neutral, positive depending on how its used. A lot of black folks definitely make it, others (Nappturality) make it unique and positive. I've never liked the word kinky, for me growing up kinky was negative whereas nappy was kinda neutral since most black folks had some level of nappyness to their natural hair.

I don't see it as similar to the n-word since that word was created as a derogatory term and came from a term that objectified African people because of their color.
Nappy was originally used in the textile industry. People compared wool and cotton to black folks hair, it was seen as bad because having straight hair was (is) preferred. So to me it can used as a good thing since wool/ cotton are so nice and soft.

lauren450 said:

ITA

I have heard many people in this thread state that "they love their naps" and are "proud of their texture" and, thus, do not mind the word "nappy."

To me, that is not the point.

I think many of us in here love, appreciate, and embrace our natural texture. No one is in denial about that. And to dislike the word "nappy" is NOT to dislike the fact that our natural hair, in its unrelaxed state, is coarse and tightly coiled. Yes, I also like my natural hair, and acknowledge that in an unrelaxed state, it is tightly coiled/woolly/coarse, etc.

The point is that some of us have issues with the WORD nappy. Prior to this board, Ive never heard it used in a positive connotation. It's always used when women are complaining about and/or referring to an undesirable hair texture. Although today many women have embraced the word "nappy" and have no problems using it here, I DO see this as analagous to black folks who have decided to embrace other words in our culture that were once considered very negative and highly charged, ie, n_gga. Folks justify using this N- word by saying they are trying to "turn something negative into something positive."

To me, the terms "kinky" or "tightly coiled" mean the same thing as "nappy," but without all the historical baggage. Essentially, colored/negro/darkie also refer to a black person....... but I prefer to use the terms African-American or black, which mean the same thing but without the negative connotation. No, colored/negro/darkie arent curse words, per se..... but they are, to me, neither respectful nor culturally sensitive.

ThursdayGirl said:
I tend to use kinky. I'm not a fan of the word "nappy".

I sorta agree with you. I prefer kinky due to the negative connotation of the word nappy. (I only use nappy with my peeps):look:

I consider my hair nappy, kinky, coarse, frizzy, and wavy. They all mean the same thing to me and I am not offended by any of these terms, my hair is what it is and I am slowly learning to accept it no matter what others say about it.

Last edited:
I don't think that those who don't like the word nappy, don't like natural black hair. To me its just a matter of term preference.

I do think that those who use nappy as a derogatory term towards natural hair greatly dislike natural type 4 hair. Nappy hair is bad to them because its the exact opposite of "good hair" so they feel its open to derision. Its the same way some people make the words dark and black bad. Those words aren't negative in and of themselves but are used as negative in a society (and by ignorant individuals) that prefers light skin tones.

I don't see using the word nappy as making something negative into a positive. The word was neutral in its original form, now some are returning to the use of it as a neutral description of texture.

For me, kinky was a bad term growing up. It was used to describe tangled, matted hair whereas nappy was just the texture everyone had when the newgrowth came in.

kristina said:
I'm not sure if this is the right section (it's hair related of course but much deeper) but I wanted to get your thoughts on this.
This was inspired both by comments about short dry nappy hair in another post and by an employment discrimination case I read recently where white employees called the black employee's hair nappy (the EEOC has determined that nappy is a derogatory term). So my food of the thought is whether any of you ladies agree/disagree with the EEOC's assessment?
Aside from the reference to hair texture, the word is still used by people in a pejorative sense by people of varying ethinicities (synonymous with ugly and/or unruly). I could give an example but I'm sure this is unnecessary since it is so common. Then again, many of us have embraced the term proudly as a description of a hair type common to people of African origin. So with that said-
What are your general thoughts of the word nappy? If it's a term you use around blacks, is it a term you also use to the same extent around non-blacks? Why or why not?
Does the race of the person using the term effect your feelings on the term?
Can you and do you divorce any historically pejorative sentiment from the word?

I do feel it is a derogatory term and I am offended when I hear either race use the term, however, I do feel that non-black races using the term is considerably more offensive.

The term has historically had a negative connotation in our community amongst ourselves for the majority of our sojourn in this country. It is still used to this day as an insult even though it is also used to signify racial pride and beauty. It just depends on with whom you speak.

I believe using "nappy" when refering to the natural texture of Black hair was never meant to portray Black hair in a positive light until recently. But, compare the last 20 years to the last 450 years and we have hardly shaken the original connotation of "NAPPY" and, in fact, I would venture to guess that the majority of folks aren't familiar with the positive connotation of the word "nappy". So, if they say it, they don't mean it in a NICE way, more often than not.

I've always used the word "coarse." The word nappy was and generally still is not part of mine or my family's vocabulary, which may be a cultural issue. But when hearing other people use it, it never seemed to be positive...

MissMarie said:
For me, kinky was a bad term growing up. It was used to describe tangled, matted hair whereas nappy was just the texture everyone had when the newgrowth came in.

This is interesting....... so it looks like it's really a matter of semantics, and what was used in one's respective household.

Because I feel the complete opposite of this statement: that "nappy" is a term used to describe our hair in a negative way, while "kinky" is simply the proper, correct term to describe coarse, woolly hair.

But again, Im realizing it may just be a matter of upbringing and semantics. *shrug*

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Kristina, I'll be honest- I am not quite sure how I feel about the term nappy. On one hand I could compare it to the word '*****' in the sense that it is, for some, okay to use amongst other AA, but when someone white says it, that's a definite no-no.
I visit nappturality and on there, the word is in no way described as something bad by its members. I guess it depends on several factors: who says it, how it's said, and in what situation the word is use in.
I guess for me, this is the one instance where I am slightly okay with someone turning something meant for bad into good.

I am feeling this way too. Great thread, Kristina. I am proud of having nappy hair. When folks try to say it in a negative sense, I turn it around to a positive meaning.

CantBeCopied said:
I do feel it is a derogatory term and I am offended when I hear either race use the term, however, I do feel that non-black races using the term is considerably more offensive.

The term has historically had a negative connotation in our community amongst ourselves for the majority of our sojourn in this country. It is still used to this day as an insult even though it is also used to signify racial pride and beauty. It just depends on with whom you speak.

I believe using "nappy" when refering to the natural texture of Black hair was never meant to portray Black hair in a positive light until recently. But, compare the last 20 years to the last 450 years and we have hardly shaken the original connotation of "NAPPY" and, in fact, I would venture to guess that the majority of folks aren't familiar with the positive connotation of the word "nappy". So, if they say it, they don't mean it in a NICE way, more often than not.

Well stated! I agree w/this entirely!!!!

I highlighted that particular piece because I was nodding vigorously as I read it..... I remember in the mid-nineties, when the Lost Boys came out with that song "Love, Peace, and Nappiness." It was a great song, but also powerful/noteworthy because it was one of the first times in which a hip hop group actually used the term "nappy" and in a positive, unique, proud way. I think around that time folks started to embrace this and, as I said earlier, tried to "turn a negative into a positive" in our community.

So yes, like you said, in the last 20 years folks have attempted to do this........ but the negative historical connotation far exceeds that. Best believe when my older extended family members use this term, they darn sure arent talking about it in a positive way!

Country gal said:
I am feeling this way too. Great thread, Kristina. I am proud of having nappy hair. When folks try to say it in a negative sense, I turn it around to a positive meaning.

Exactly! I believe that's what many folks do.

But me.... because of the historical connotation, I prefer not to use it at all. The term "kinky" works just fine for me, as it means the exact same thing.... but to me, more factual and clinical a term, if that makes sense. It is a "description" that is devoid of all the other negativity/derision associated with "nappy."

*laughs* I LOVE the word nappy - it reminds me of wild, free, uncontrolled, tightly coiled, kinky, happy hair.
The concept of good hair/bad hair was stricly banned in our house - and the use of the term 'good hair' bothers me a heck of a lot more than the word 'nappy'.

I think that we (*laughs* here I go on my education kick again) need to teach others that nappy is a descriptor - just like kinky, just like wavy, just like straight - and that if we then attach negative/positive connonations to the word - well, that's something that we can correct. I don't mind hearing someone ask how to 'tame' their naps - that means they want straight hair. Now, if I hear someone say they 'hate' their nappy hair - honestly, I just feel bad for them that they cannot appreciate the beauty of naturally nappy hair - I don't feel like they are - denigrating themselves, or others who have naps.
Of course, MOST folx put a negative connotation on the word - will that make me stop using it? Nope - in fact, it makes me want to use it MORE - with a laugh and a smile, to show that there ain't nothing wrong with having nappy hair.

nappywomyn said:
*laughs* I LOVE the word nappy - it reminds me of wild, free, uncontrolled, tightly coiled, kinky, happy hair.
The concept of good hair/bad hair was stricly banned in our house - and the use of the term 'good hair' bothers me a heck of a lot more than the word 'nappy'.

I think that we (*laughs* here I go on my education kick again) need to teach others that nappy is a descriptor - just like kinky, just like wavy, just like straight - and that if we then attach negative/positive connonations to the word - well, that's something that we can correct. I don't mind hearing someone ask how to 'tame' their naps - that means they want straight hair. Now, if I hear someone say they 'hate' their nappy hair - honestly, I just feel bad for them that they cannot appreciate the beauty of naturally nappy hair - I don't feel like they are - denigrating themselves, or others who have naps.
Of course, MOST folx put a negative connotation on the word - will that make me stop using it? Nope - in fact, it makes me want to use it MORE - with a laugh and a smile, to show that there ain't nothing wrong with having nappy hair.

Great post!

Back