Is it time to change your hair routine?

hairfanatic

I have been using the same system on my hair basically for two years. I noticed that my hair probably needs a change. I'm in the process of putting together a new routine similar to Carolyn Grays but using all natural products. I just prefer natural ingredients...I keep more hair and it comes out less compared to when I use products with synthetic ingredients. This made me think that if you see problems maybe that's a clue for a change.

My questions are...Is your routine still giving you the results you expect? What problems do you continue to see? What do you think you need to change to make your hair better?

Hi hairfanatic, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent question. I think the day my hair does not respond nicely to my routine, it will definately be time for a change. So far my hair has been doing well, so I won't be making any changes now. I don't have any breakage, thinning spots, dry hair, so for now I can't complain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
/images/graemlins/band.gif

I really like the routine that I have. For one, I use a ton of different products depending on whether I want to wear my hair straight or curly. I tend to use more products for the curly look because my hair frizzes terrible. I have to wet it everyday, or every other day when I wear this look so that it won't go stale. I don't wear my hair straight anymore, maybe once in a while. I don't do it, because now, I DO NOT use heat on my hair, and because I don't do that, it tends to curl up at the ends as soon as a drop of water hits them.

I just recently had to switch things up. The cold weather was causing some MAJOR dryness, so it was time to revamp the program.

I'm currently back to my summer routine. The cold air was drying my hair(roller set)out. My summer routine is shampooing or rinsing and using my Pantene S&S/PM Supercharged/CDHB/ and pomade. This keeps my hair very moisturized.

My routine changes with every hair wash. I have a mixtures of hair oils, scalp oils, conditioners, shampoos etc. That with every hair wash I use different products all the time and can mix and match depending on what my hair needs and what the weather's like.

I'm this close ---> <--- to perfecting my regimen and having ALL the hair products that work VERY well for me.

If you're bored, try new things and different products. You may not have found what works extremely well for you yet. Experiment safely and have fun.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
Hi hairfanatic, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent question. I think the day my hair does not respond nicely to my routine, it will definately be time for a change. So far my hair has been doing well, so I won't be making any changes now. I don't have any breakage, thinning spots, dry hair, so for now I can't complain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
/images/graemlins/band.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you already posted your hair routine? I know that moisturfuse is a big part of your routine and ORS Hair Mayo (which I just bought, thankyouverymuch, but what else are you using? And you'd better not give me this big, long list of STUFF! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi Leshia,

If you look at the feature of the month on the main page, I have my routine listed there. It's a little long to read, but I don't have a long list of products. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Be careful of what you ask for girl. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif Before coming to this board I had one shampoo one instant cond. and one deep cond. Now Sally's and I are on a first name basis /images/graemlins/cool.gif.
So to all the ladies who have recommended a product:
My wallet don't like ya. My husband don't like ya But I love ya /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/cheers.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know how you feel Brie's Mom. I have a new regime now and I'm constantly buying products now for my hair..I think I'm going to the spot (the beauty supply store) today. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as hair regimes go, I think we have to adjust them to the seasons (winter and summer especially) and to what your hair needs.

My wallet don't like ya. My husband don't like ya But I love ya

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Girl, you are too funny. I will try not to make too many recommendations! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree 100% with CarmenRose. I don't think we talk enough about the importance of adjusting your hair routine seasonally. And, most importantly, as she said in the summer and the winter, when so many of us are either venting or wondering what is happening.

Hairfanatic , I saw your post in another thread where you were bemoaning winter. After reading it, I wanted to start a thread entitled "who else is sick of true winter?". The last couple of years in Virginia have been especially mild. Lately, it's been in the upper 20's to low 30's with little humidity outside and I will not describe INDOOR HEAT. I need to get a humidifier, but have been using little pans of water with essentials near the vents. That has made a tremendous difference after I finally got it in my head, I am going to be cranking this heat for sometime /images/graemlins/mad.gif

But, to me, there is no doubt, that it is important to assemble your seasonal arsenal of hair products to fight the elements.

Let me know what you think of the California Baby /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Jade

So far my hair has been doing well, so I won't be making any changes now. I don't have any breakage, thinning spots, dry hair, so for now I can't complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in that case Pebbles...if it isn't broke don't try to fix it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like the routine that I have. For one, I use a ton of different products depending on whether I want to wear my hair straight or curly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your hair must be getting some good treatments! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I always believe you have to try different things to find out what works.

I just recently had to switch things up. The cold weather was causing some MAJOR dryness, so it was time to revamp the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me Carrie, what switch did you make? My inquiring mind wants to know. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm currently back to my summer routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was thinking about going back to my Summer routine SweetCocoa. I have been back doing my washing every three days and my hair could use a lot of moisture.

I'm this close ---&gt; &lt;--- to perfecting my regimen and having ALL the hair products that work VERY well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this sounds interesting and something I wouldn't mind hearing once you perfect it LondonDiva! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before coming to this board I had one shampoo one instant cond. and one deep cond. Now Sally's and I are on a first name basis .
My wallet don't like ya. My husband don't like ya But I love ya

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, now you know you are telling the truth! /images/graemlins/smile.gif My husband is the same way. He hates the constant products I spend all HIS money on and everytime I get on the computer his comment is "You going to the HAIRCLUB FOR WOMEN"? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm constantly buying products now for my hair..I think I'm going to the spot (the beauty supply store) today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is too funny CarmenRose. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, to me, there is no doubt, that it is important to assemble your seasonal arsenal of hair products to fight the elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jade,

I know you were using a lot of Aubrey products. When you switch your routine, are you switching just your shampoos or both shampoo and conditioners. Have you been using any other natural products besides Aubreys?

Let me know what you think of the California Baby

[/ QUOTE ]

I washed my hair today with the Shampoo, used Aubrey's GPB and the California Baby Detangling spray.

The detangling spray didn't detangle well but it sure did smell good! /images/graemlins/smile.gif So what I did was go behind the detangling spray and used the Giovanni. I have been smelling like a fresh bloom of flowers all day. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And you'd better not give me this big, long list of STUFF!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Leshia, you know a routine wouldn't be a routine unless the list is 50 miles long. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hairfanatic said:
I'm this close ---&gt; &lt;--- to perfecting my regimen and having ALL the hair products that work VERY well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this sounds interesting and something I wouldn't mind hearing once you perfect it LondonDiva! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To tell you the truth hairfanatic I think there maybe 1 or 2 things left to try before I'm bored of trying new stuff. I want to try a claryfying shampoo the elasta QP mango butter and the new Kemi Product. I'm happy with the Breakthru shampoo so I'm not too bothered whether I try the elucence shampoo or not.

Here goes Semi Perfect Hair product regimen for LondonDiva

Always rinse with water in shower for 3-5 mins before shampooing 2-3 times.

Shampoos:
Breakthru by Soft Sheen (moisturising) Always used last. Never used as a first shampoo.
Motion CPR (To stop Breakage)
Motions Lavish (Regular Shampoo)
Motions Neutralizer (After a relaxer)

Conditioners:
Elucence moisture balancing (Just after a shampoo, just before a deep conditioning)
ORS Hair Mayo (without heat using a gold conditoning cap) After every hair wash
Motions CPR along with the Motions CPR Shampoo for breakage (with no heat and using gold conditioning cap)

Hot Oil:
Queen Helene Cholesterol Hot Oil Never usedo on it's own works best for me applied to my hair with ORS Hair mayo on top. I never do a Hot oil on dry hair always after a shampoo.

Leave in conditioners:
Light application of Queen Helene Cholesterol Hot Oil combed thru. (Done sometimes. When this is done all three products are used as a leave in)
Africa's best Liquid hair mayo
Kemi Oyl Conditiong Spray (sprayed on when excess water and excess product from the first 2 is squeezed out after applying Africa's best Liquid Mayo.) Combed thru and left to air dry.

It sounds like a lot but only small amounts are used and combed thru the hair each time. The Conditioning spray is used a lot and the excess squeezed out with hands, combed thru and left to air dry.

Hair lotions used on hair alone:
ORS Carrot Oil (actually a creme) added with 10-15 drops of WGO and stirred.
or
Africa's Best Tea Tree Gro Hair Lite moisturiser.

Scalp applications.
WGO
or
Africa's best hair fertilizer therapy
or
Unrefined shea butter melted and added with jojoba, grapeseed, cedarwood, rosemary, lavendar and thyme, left to harden in the fridge and then used as a pomade.

Ends:
Kemi Oyl Shea butter
or
WGO
or
ORS Carrot Oil
or
Africa's Best Tea Tree Gro Hair Lite moisturiser.
or
ORS Nature's Shine

Daily sheen/all over moisture:
ORS Nature's shine.

Boy are well all on the same wavelength or what! Needless to say I got so caught up in looking at the little cute faces I was hardly reading! /images/graemlins/user.gif
Anyway yes I just switched up on my routine for the winter. Logically I would think this would be the time I was pressing it but with the wet weather (NW) and the dry heat my hair just wasn't happy. So I'm back to what is my summer routine (who knows anymore). When I press I do a version of Carolyn Gray's method. But now I'm rinsing every other day or so and still doing the conditioner part of the method once a week.
So tonight after my /images/graemlins/bath.gif I will be rinsing and applying some conditioner.

Q

Most definitely. Last week I posted about my dry ends and my search for some more moisturizing products for my hair. (My ends were breaking!)

After checking out all the available products in my local drugstores (didn't have time to hit the beauty supply, though /images/graemlins/frown.gif) I settled on B&amp;B Castor Oil Hair Lotion. I like it so far. I used this in my hair last time I washed and have been wearing a braid-out. It works well! My hair is VERY sof and it DOES NOT dry greasy. (I put tons of this stuff in my wet hair.)

Plus, it contains no mineral oil or petroleum.

I think I might do this for a month or so to give my hair a break from heat and much needed moisturize. It is FREEZING in NYC!!!

hairclub for women?...lol..this is true... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, but it is the truth. I feel like a..forget it..I am a Product Junkie. I'm always in the daggone beauty supply store. The other week, I went back like 4 days in a row picking up stuff..It's bad girl, bad... /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

Hairfanatic </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"You going to the HAIRCLUB FOR WOMEN"?

[/ QUOTE ] I love it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Pebbles </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I will try not to make too many recommendations!

[/ QUOTE ] You know you cant help yourself. You'll convert the world to PJs. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
CarmenRose </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm constantly buying products now for my hair..I think I'm going to the spot (the beauty supply store) today.

[/ QUOTE ] Stay strong girl /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hairfanatic,

I am just happy you found SOME use for the California Baby Detangler. I think that the lady needs to develop her line even more. She's like the innovator with decyl polyglucose for a more gentle alternative shampoo, but I don't think that hers is nearly as moisturizing as Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Cleanser. He uses a healthy dose of aloe...makes a tremendous difference.

With my winter routine, the major things I do differently are the more frequent use of preshampoo treatments, and less frequent shampooing.

I can't say I have seen anything "new" in the natural, organic vein which has provided anything special. Aubrey still is numero uno with me.

Much Love,

Jade

Hi LondonDiva,

WOW! That sounds like a good routine you got going. And...the good thing about it is majority of all the products and be found at Sally's. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

but I don't think that hers is nearly as moisturizing as Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Cleanser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know he made shampoo...I'm going to have to check it out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back