Is It Possible To Transition w/o a BC?

divinefavor

I haven't seen my natural hair since I was 10 years old (when my mom decided to put a curl in my hair). So, that's been whew 20 years (dang, can't believe I'm 30, it seems like I was just 10 :) ). Anyway, I've always had fine/thin soft hair my whole life. I have been going back and forth with the idea of going natural. However, I am so afraid, one because I don't remember my hair growing without chemicals (I didn't have long hair as a child until chemicals), two I have a big round head (my cousin can vouch for that, she just joined this group :lol: ), three I'm afraid of really short hairstyles and don't think I would look good in them, and last but not least I'm afraid my hair won't grow without some sort of chemical in it.

So back to my original question :), Is it possible to transition from relaxed to natural without a big chop. Especially for those of us with fine/thin hair.

Thanks in advance for your help! All advice and comments are welcome!

Have a Blessed & Prosperous Day!

At first I wasn't going to answer, because my hair isn't fine/thin...(mine is medium/thick... so I don't know if my answer will help u any :confused: ))

Anywho, yes! I transitioned 18 mths. Once I grew enough hair for a ponytail than I chopped my relaxed ends.

Throughout my transition, I wore low maintenance styles (buns, braids with my real hair). I also kept my demarcation line VERY moist (cheapie conditioners, S-Curl moisturizer, conditioner washes followed by Hot 6 oil), and most importantly, I did not use any heat.... I AIR DRIED!

Hopefully others will chime in soon with more replies :cool:

Thank you Peachtree! I want advice from anyone who can help me not just fine/thin haired naturals.

Did you notice that your hair grew faster while transitioning as opposed to when relaxing?

divinefavor said:
Thank you Peachtree! I want advice from anyone who can help me not just fine/thin haired naturals.

Did you notice that your hair grew faster while transitioning as opposed to when relaxing?

MOST DEFINITELY!!! :bouncy:
I'll say after month 6, it seemed like my growth rate TOOK OFF! It definitely grew much faster during my transition than when I was relaxed. Now that I'm natural, it's sometimes difficult to tell if it's growing (cuz of the shrinkage), but when it's wet (stretched), I can see the growth... (& feel the length down my back :yay: )

A lot of other naturals that I talk to also say that their hair is growing faster since they have stopped relaxing. I guess it's the combination of "no chemicals on the scalp" along with far less breakage (from dry/brittle/thin ends) helps naturals retain their length..... or at least this is the case with me :cool:

i never had a bc.....i dont even recall my transition! i dont even know my true nappyversary, because i wasnt worried about it....i wasnt thinking about my hair so much then :D

ETA: my hair has grown so much!!! when i was younger and natural, i dont remember having long hair either....and when i was relxed it never really touched my shoulders....now its creepin towards bra strap and i am completely amazed! my hair is now longer than ive ever seen it!

i dont really know if my hair is fine....but its certainly not thin.....HTH!

Last edited:
Peachtree-

Wow, that gives me some hope! My hair is about neck length right now, I don't want to lose the little bit that I have. :lol: I guess if I'm going to transition I need to decide quickly before my hair grows longer. I've already noticed some growth since joining this forum.

Last edited:
I am soooo glad you created this thread devinefavor! I'm going natural too, only I couldn't decide if I wanted to do the BC, or just transition slowly. I'm now leaning more towards transitioning slowly with braids and twists. I'm kinda scared of the BC too! I'd like enough hair to at least be able to braid. So, I'm feeling you on this one.

Good luck Divinefavor and Stormy. I just know that both of you can transition successfully. And remember, you don't have to transition forever. Just take it one day, one month at a time. When it's time to bc, you'll know it. Be patient, trust your gut and enjoy the journey.

YES you can!!!!! My suggestion to you is braids, weaves, and possibly wigs (after the two textures become a real hassle). Just be carful with those thin strands! Your real hair may actually be thicker than what you are used to. Time will tell. My real hair is MUCH thicker than my relaxed ends. I have been transitiong for almost a year w/o the BC, though I am feeling scissor happy.........

I have been using braids, etc because it just passes the time much quicker and I only have to think about my two textures when I take my brads out. I have seen more new growth this past year than have ever seen....I hve been relaxed ince I was 4....I am 21 now.

Shatani said:
i never had a bc.....i dont even recall my transition! i dont even know my true nappyversary, because i wasnt worried about it....i wasnt thinking about my hair so much then :D

ETA: my hair has grown so much!!! when i was younger and natural, i dont remember having long hair either....and when i was relxed it never really touched my shoulders....now its creepin towards bra strap and i am completely amazed! my hair is now longer than ive ever seen it!

i dont really know if my hair is fine....but its certainly not thin.....HTH!

Thanks Shatani! Very inspiring!

Stormy - no problem, glad that I could help someone else. :)
PittGirl and Hopeful - thanks so much!

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do. :confused: Maybe I'll start off by seeing how long I can go without a touch up. I just had a touch up two weeks ago, I normally go 7-8 weeks before a touch up. I may try to stretch it out if I can stand it! :grin:

I've always had fine soft hair as well and I've been transitioning without the big chop for almost 7 months so far! :yep: There's other ladies doing it as of right now!
I know hairlove, Peachtree, saddity1, and others have done it as well! ;)

Hits for my hair:
Blowdrying in sections after I wash my hair
Less Manipulation
Being gentle with hair and having patience with growth
Super B Complex

Misses for my hair:
Airdrying
Using too many products
Messing with my hair too much
Braidouts

Last edited:
YES, it can be done. I'm doing so now also. I agree with Pittgurl, Im very scissor happy, but I'm really in a rush to be all natural but too chicken to BC so I do frequent trims to speed things along.
I'm noticing alot of growth, and less shedding and breakage.

I have fine hair and I have been transitioning for 7 months. I think it can be done but you have to be really gentle. Like Poohbear, I have stopped using too many products and airdrying and the baggie method caused me much breakage. You just have to feel it out because everyones hair is different and responds to different things.

I agree with everyone else. I did a long transition too (@ 18 months). I couldn't see myself with hair shorter than my neck so my goal was to transition until that point. I chopped a little earlier than I planned but I'm happy with my length (for now). Good luck!

I am also transitioning without the big chop. I have been transitioning for almost 10 months. I usually get my hair pressed and alternate with braidouts since I can't really do wash and gos at this point since my new growth gets tangled.

I would suggest detangling and washing your hair in 4 sections. Keep those sections while you condition as well. It really does help with the comb out process.

It's possible alright. I've been transitioning for a little bit over 11 months now. I plan on transitioning for 18 months or until I'm able to get all of my natural hair in a ponytail. I'm dying to chop off the relaxed ends now though b/c I've had it up to here with them. Now for the advice. Moisture moisture moisture. Keeping both your relaxed and natural hair well moisturized is the key to transitioning success. You want to minimize breakage as much as possible. Conditioner washes may not work for everyone but they definitely work for me. I don't know how I would have gotten this far in my transition without them. Congrats and good luck on your transition!

Years ago I decided to grow out my perm. I didn't know the word for what I was doing was transitioning. I "transitioned" for almost three years. It sounds crazy now, but this was before I discovered hair boards and had any idea about what to do with my hair.

I would just slick my hair back into what I now know are protective styles and go. As I would get my hair cut I cut out the relaxed ends. It took almost three years until I was ready to cut out all of relaxed ends.

Yes it is. I just chopped, and already I have a good size afro and I can pull my hair back into a puff. It's a little baby puff, but its a puff :D

HI,

I'm a bit late but it is certainly possible to transition w/o b/c. I pressed my roots while transitioning. My last relaxer was May 2001. it took about 3 1/2 years for the perm to be completely out, but it is possible. what probably helped me is living in low-humidity los angeles, where a press lasts from wash to wash.

I have fine, thin hair and I transitioned for a year and a half. By the 18 month mark I was gettting antsy about getting rid of the ends so I just went for it.
For me the most important thing was detangling and moisturizing well, finding a simple way to style the hair daily, and otherwise just leaving it alone. You'll have a head full of natural hair before you know it :yep:
Good luck!

Oh my gosh!!! :) Thank you all so much! I wasn't expecting so many responses! This is great and such wonderful information! I'm still a little indecisive right now, yeah I guess I'm chicken. :lol: I think I'm going to first start by trying to strectch my relaxers longer and see how that works out for me. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post relaxer right now, so I have a ways to go. I see quite a bit of new growth already! LHCF is definitely helping me!

Back