Is it possible to stretch too long

maryj1584

I am thinking about stretching for 6 months, I prob would have 2-3 inches of NG by the time I am done, is it going to be too much for the stylist to process in 20 minutes? I am going to get my roots slighlty blown out b4 I go. I am just curious because I dont want to have underprocessed hair in the middle of the shaft as a result of the stretch.
Thanks

Yes...it is definitely. I have coarse 4a/b and my hair becames matted and starts to actually "loc" and tangle in to small clumps if I don't relax after three months..

Everyone is different but I once went a year without a touch-up and I had no breakage. I relaxed my own hair afterward and relaxed it to my satisfaction. But then again, I dont go for the bone-straight look. :ohwell:

I dont think its possible if you know how to properly care for the 2 different textures (new growth and relaxed hair).
About 3 years ago I tried transitioning and went for 8 months without a relaxer.
When I decided to relax, I did it myself like always and was satisfied with the results. I had no problems with tangled or matted hair:) .

sweetness0099 said:
Yes...it is definitely. I have coarse 4a/b and my hair becames matted and starts to actually "loc" and tangle in to small clumps if I don't relax after three months..
I disagree. I also have 4a but mostly 4b hair, and my last stretch was about 6 months. Now my hair did get tangled and try to loc up on me, and I was still able to take care of it and baby it so that when I got my relaxer I was able to retain almost 3". You just have to be extra gentle and double up on co-washes and moisture. But everyone's hair is different and some 4b's can onyl stretch for 3 months w/o seeing extreme breakage and some can stretch a year and be fine. The best way to find out is to try it!

eta: my hair is slightly underprocessed, but it's only wavy in those areas.

sweetness0099 said:

mine does that if I even think about going beyond 8 weeks! :(

maryj1584 said:
I am thinking about stretching for 6 months, I prob would have 2-3 inches of NG by the time I am done, is it going to be too much for the stylist to process in 20 minutes? I am going to get my roots slighlty blown out b4 I go. I am just curious because I dont want to have underprocessed hair in the middle of the shaft as a result of the stretch.
Thanks

Ok, my first thought when I read the title of the thread was "What is too long? Isn't that the same as a transition to natural after so long?" but after reading your post, I would suggest that you attempt stretching and see how it goes. I will say that if this is your first stretch, 6 months is probably not a good starting point. :nono:

As far as it being too much for the stylist to process in 20 minutes...I don't think that's a question we can answer. That depends on how thick your hair is, how fast your hair grows, how skilled your stylist is, etc, etc.

If for some reason your hair came out underprocessed, you could always do a corrective. Not the first choice, but certainly a viable option should something go awry.

Stretching is all about maintaining the proper balance, and I think most stretchers on LHCF will tell you that. You can't slack on your protein or your moisture the way you can sometimes during weeks 1-8 post relaxer. Once you start getting into double digits, it's important to listen to your hair and follow it's instructions. If you learn your hair type & the chemistry of the products you use, stretching will be a breeze.

Good luck! :up:

Divine Inspiration said:
Stretching is all about maintaining the proper balance, and I think most stretchers on LHCF will tell you that. You can't slack on your protein or your moisture the way you can sometimes during weeks 1-8 post relaxer. Once you start getting into double digits, it's important to listen to your hair and follow it's instructions. If you learn your hair type & the chemistry of the products you use, stretching will be a breeze.

Ita 100% :yep:

I streched for 15 months before and I was fine. Im doing it again this year. So I will not relax until dec 2007.

You just have to do alot more moisturizing and be more gentle while combing.

Shoooo Any transitioner can tell you its very possible. 9 months and counting.... Its very possible as long as you baby your hair and handle your NG with EXTREME care. I suggest gradually moving into it though; like if youre used to doing 2 months try 3 months first. Then whatever youve learned use that and stretch to 4 months the next time. 6 months may be too long but if you gradually stretch longer youll figure out what works best for you.

I recently did a 4 month stretch and it wasnot that bad. It was kin of hard because i was still finding the "right products". I got through it and I was very proud of myself and I did not get major breakage. Co washes are the only time I combed myhair so I did those every other day after i was 8 weeks post relaxer. Good luck in whatever you decide. Do what is best for you.

Thanks everyone, I am really excited about this as for the lengh retention, but I am still kinda scared. I am going to do research on detangling conditioners and methods. Maybe I might stop at 4 months, but we would see. Thanks again for the advice

I perosnally can only go so long, by week 14 i get more shedding than usual and a bit of breakage. its stresses me out to a point of paranoia, i think "omg my hairs cutting off - oohhh its falling ouuutt" lol. and i have NO patience with my NG cus its like "like ah wah" and dry like a bone no matter what i put on it! (unless its wet). if i was to transition i would wash my hair every 3 days or so, and purchase a detangler...i feel i should get one anyway..

Thanks Candy C, I really want to learn how to stetch, the only members of my family with past bs hair, relax about 2ce a year. I can do it too. Thanks for the advice on washing in sections and also using a detangler. I think i might by the paul michele the detangler

Candy_C said:
I perosnally can only go so long, by week 14 i get more shedding than usual and a bit of breakage. its stresses me out to a point of paranoia, i think "omg my hairs cutting off - oohhh its falling ouuutt" lol. and i have NO patience with my NG cus its like "like ah wah" and dry like a bone no matter what i put on it! (unless its wet). if i was to transition i would wash my hair every 3 days or so, and purchase a detangler...i feel i should get one anyway..

Like every1 else says, its just a matter of using enough protein and enough moisture duing that time, I myself find it difficult STILL and I been stretching between relaxers for a yr. Ladies, would you say its ok to do conditionings with Lekair or QP Elasta Breakage Serum(justt examples) once a week after u've reached 12 or so weeks+??? This is something im not sure of.

Thanks for the input samaria, I would really try to keep up my protein and moisture treatments during the 4 months left. Wish me luck,
Samaria said:
Like every1 else says, its just a matter of using enough protein and enough moisture duing that time, I myself find it difficult STILL and I been stretching between relaxers for a yr. Ladies, would you say its ok to do conditionings with Lekair or QP Elasta Breakage Serum(justt examples) once a week after u've reached 12 or so weeks+??? This is something im not sure of.

Samaria said:

This, IMO, depends ENTIRELY on your hair and its protein tolerance. My hair likes light protein (Nexxus Keraphix) every other week when I'm stretching, but some ladies do it once a month and others do it once a week. This is totally subjective to the hair's particular needs, the moisture balance in the hair, and the hair's strength after the chemical service.

HTH

{DI}

I've wondered aobut stretching for too long too.

I've gotten a littl elax in my regimne since the new year began. A lot of that was because I was sick for the first week. And then with school starting back up it has been hard.

I don't manipulate very often, and when I do I use a denman paddle brush. I loose some hair, and I shed a little bit. But I'm not noticing any bad side affects. I figure if you're supposed to loose 50 to 100 hairs a day and you don't comb for 3 or 5 days, you're looking at loosing anywhere from 150 to 500 hairs on average. I loose way less than that when I do manipulate, so I think that I'm doing pretty well.

My main struggle has been with keeping my growth moisturized. It is such a chore. I need to go to Dollar General and invest in some cheapie conditioner that I can do CO washes with to keep moisturized.

I just thought of a tip...

If you blowdry, don't blowdry the new growth, only the relaxed part. And be sure to keep your ends moist. Air drying the new growh will help to hold some moisture in.

Mayn if your hair starts to "loc" up and its not intentional then I say yes it is possible to stretch too long :lol: I dont know how anybody doesnt have any breakage when stretching a relaxer longer than 8 weeks. I tried to stretch well I did stretch for about 12 weeks and I had to relax before all my hair fell out. I wasnt going to stretch again but I got braids to help the process and the price I paid for them left me with no choice but to stretch :lol:

Thanks everyone, right now my hair is braided in box braids under an instant weave, so when I wash it would help with the detangling and stuff. I also will comb it once a week.Good luck on ur stretch sky_blu

sky_blu said:
Mayn if your hair starts to "loc" up and its not intentional then I say yes it is possible to stretch too long :lol: I dont know how anybody doesnt have any breakage when stretching a relaxer longer than 8 weeks. I tried to stretch well I did stretch for about 12 weeks and I had to relax before all my hair fell out. I wasnt going to stretch again but I got braids to help the process and the price I paid for them left me with no choice but to stretch :lol:

Back