Is it ok to not use a leave-in conditioner?

bluenude

I'm trying to simplify my regime and my product cabinet. I just ran out of my leave-in, which was Nexxus Humectress, and I was wondering 'is a leave-in really necessary? I condition wash my natural hair every day/ or every other day, use a moisturizer and spritz w/ jojoba oil & distilled water mixture. What do you all think? Since I condition wash everyday does a leave-in really benefit me?

Leave in is NOT necessary, but for some it helps, it makes detangling easier. I do not use a leave in 95% of the time.

I use a leave-in to lock in moisture, detangle, and for the scent. I have heard of ladies not using anything and getting decent results (no hard hair, etc). I dont use a leave-in when i blowdry and straighten because it weighs my hair down. I rely heavily on the conditioning step to take care of the moisture in this instance.

Ive never, ever used a leave-in....and my hair is soft, silky, and supple. Ive never had a problem with coarse hair or tangles. :) HTH.

I always use something on my hair after washing, but it's not always a leave-in. Sometimes I'll use an oil moisturizer, a spray mixture, or just plain oil. I like them for detangling and softening. If your hair feels good without a leave in, then you'll probably be ok without one.

Some use a leave in to lock in moisture or some use oils to do that. I use a mixture of oils to lock in moisture so I guess a leave in may not be necessary but its all a personal choice and what your hair really needs

thank you so much for the responses! i was so confused. i usually use an oil or water based moisturizer after washing followed by oil but i didn't want to spend extra hard-earned $$ on some more nexus if i didn't have to. plus, i don't really notice a difference from when i use it or don't use it.

I'm sure it's okay.

I prefer adding a leave-in after my wash and go's because it adds a bit of a barrier between my hair and the outside elements.

Humectress never did anything for my hair though. I prefer Giovanni Direct leave-in, Jamaican mango & lime leave in, MY honey child aloe-vera leave in, or my new love, Oyin honey hemp condish used as a leave-in.

Do what works best for your hair. If you've noticed that it's not a necessary part of your hair regimen, then, go ahead and remove that step. It'll save you time and money, too. :)

I personally think "leave in's" are very beneficial to the hair. I consider anything that you add to your hair after washing before drying a "leave-in" (moisturizers, oils, etc) anything that adds protection or nutrition to the hair. It doesn't necessarily have to be commercially labled "leave-in" to be one. So I think your the mixture you make of your oil, water, etc. could be considered your leave in.

so1913 said:
I personally think "leave in's" are very beneficial to the hair. I consider anything that you add to your hair after washing before drying a "leave-in" (moisturizers, oils, etc) anything that adds protection or nutrition to the hair. It doesn't necessarily have to be commercially labled "leave-in" to be one. So I think your the mixture you make of your oil, water, etc. could be considered your leave in.

Good point! :yep:

Back