Is it normal for hairstylists to....

Bobbie

charge you by the length of your hair for a touchup? I'm at 12 weeks, and my hair is getting pretty hard to manage, and I've never been to a stylist here in the bay area. I called this one place called: "Hair International", and the only black stylists there told me that she has a "starting price" of $55 for a touchup, and it depends on how "long" or "thick" your hair is. Most other places people recommended had one standard price.
Have any of you had good experiences with stylists who charge by the length of your hair? Do you think I should go ahead and risk it? I'm seeing her tomorrow, and I'm worried I might come out with jacked-up hair.
frown.gif

that's what i was scared she might be doing. i mean, if a touch up is just to perm the new growth, than why charge by the length or thickness? i feel like, she may be one of those stylists who get frustrated working with "too much" hair. i might come out with a trim sheep would be ashamed of!
blush.gif

Girl, I've heard of people here mention that some stylist have threaten to charge more for relaxing hair on people who try to stretch out there relaxers. I think these stylist feel the client is trying to get more for the money and thus are taking advantage of them since it takes a little more time and a little more relaxer. In some instances it's probably justified but in most case, when dealing with money hungry stylist, it's not. I just don't agree with such practices but I don't agree with JC Penny's by-law that says a person whose hair touches their shoulders is considered long hair and is to be charged $10.00 extra. Some stylist will charge others don't. I can't be bother by such stylist myself. It makes me feel as if they are only in it for the money willing to cut corners (applying lesser amounts of conditioner than what's necessary, etc.) in order to cheat me out of my money. To me the tip should take care of these type things.

This is just in my humble opinion (IMHO).

Jazma here in downtown Toronto does the same. I've never come across another salon that does that.That is part of the reason why I didn't bother going. My hair is not super long, but it's longer than average, so I have no idea what they'd charge me...I need to know exactly what I'm paying for stuff. I was quoted $50 and up for a freaking rollerset!!!!

Some stylists do that. A friend of mine started her business like that and I believe that she is still doing it that way. But there is no "& up". She has set prices for short, medium and long hair.

I've always given extra because my hair is thicker than most who grace their salon.

I didn't know JCPenney had that policy. I guess I won't be going there although I really prefer the mall or chain salons because I know I won't sit there for hours while someone is eating their breakfast and/or yakking on the phone.

I'm in Boston, and my type 3b bra-strap length girlfriend got charged extra for a touchup, rollerset, and trim because of her length. They sprang it on her when she was in the chair. You were smart to call around and price it first.

If I were you, I'd get recommendations from my friends in the area before I went to the salon. Any women at your church have well kept, relaxed hair? Take a look at the salon board on this forum for CA referrals. Then schedule consultations in person to see if you vibe with the sylist.

This happens all the time in DC. When I used to call places to ask how much their touch-ups were, some would say it depends on the length of the hair. What does the length have to do with anything if you are only touching-up the new growth?
nuts.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
This happens all the time in DC. When I used to call places to ask how much their touch-ups were, some would say it depends on the length of the hair. What does the length have to do with anything if you are only touching-up the new growth?
nuts.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I've heard this before. That's exactly my question. What does length have to do with newgrowth?

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
It's a bull crap way for them to squeeze you for every dollar they can!

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically!!!!!

Some stylist tyr to do that to me b/c I have thick hair, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unless someone just has serious amounts of newgrowth (2 and 3 inches) that the amount of relaxer in a kit won't cover, that's the only way I'd charge them a little more, like $10 or something. It's not going to take that much more time at all - they're just smoothing it on a slightly longer section! I too think it's just a ploy to get more money out of us!

Some dominican salons do this as well. I don't understand why they would charge more for a rollerset with longer hair than with shorter hair. Are they trying to compensate because longer hair requires more work?

my stylist only charges a select few like this one lady her hair is waist length and it takes her 2-3 hrs just to press all her hair and an hour b4 that to wash and condition etc. but she only like five dollars extra. but i must admit her hair is some work but the lady said she understands and my stylist helped her get to that length so she said she has no prob everyone else charges her like 65 for a wash n set while my stylist only charges 35.

I know I'm late to this, but I had to post this. This salon in Urbana, IL actually puts it in writing on their website.

Relaxer/Retouch
Affirm …………………………………… $50.00
Long Hair …………………………………… $55.00 & UP
Affirm Fiber …………………………………… $55.00 & UP
Long Hair …………………………………… $60.00 & UP
Mizani …………………………………… $60.00
Long Hair …………………………………… $65.00 & UP
With basic Roll Set or Blow & Style (Relaxer Price).
Virgin Hair w/……………………………………$15.00 extra
Any hair that has more than a half-inch new grows $5.00 to $10 extra

I can't believe that a half-inch of newgrowth is so much extra trouble. I'm pretty sure if you haven't been there in one month's time they'll say you have more than 1/2 inch and charge you the extra price. That is so ridiculous. And like someone else said, you're not putting the relaxer on the ends of my head, so why am I getting charged more for the relaxer.

This happened to me when i went with Britt from this board(HI BRITT
smirk.gif
) to a salon in Brooklyn. Mind you she had twice the amount, maybe 3xs the amount of new growth that I had, but because my hair was longer than hers they charged me $35 while they charged her $30 and we both brought our own perms.
mad.gif
It made me so mad that I never went back to the hair salon.

I used to go to a salon and she charged more if you waited over 2 months to get a touch-up. Of course, this made me make my appointments right on time to avoid the extra charge. Hmmph.

Last Friday when I went to the salon, I got a shampoo, conditioner, and flexi-rod set done. It woulda normally been 45. But because of my hair length, they charged me 10 bucks extra (the secretary did, not the stylist). I'm glad the stylist didn't tell her I had gotten a deep conditioner done too!
blush.gif

On Saturday I decided to try the JC Penneys @ Woodbridge Mall. I usually go to the one @ Newport Mall but I decided to try the one closer to home. Anyway the stylist told me that because of my hair length I would have to pay $100 for a touch up and $23 for a trim. I looked @ her like she was crazy. I usually pay $75 for everything. I did get the service because I really needed a perm but she won't be doing my hair again. And then she had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to buy a $170 ceramic iron that they were selling. These stylist are getting out of control. If they keep this up I will have to give the Dominicans my business.
mad.gif

That is rediculous Mzcookies
frown.gif

I go to JC Penney for my touch-up. The relaxer is $55 (includes the trim) and the "longhair charge" is like $8 or $10.

[ QUOTE ]
mzcookies said:
On Saturday I decided to try the JC Penneys @ Woodbridge Mall. I usually go to the one @ Newport Mall but I decided to try the one closer to home. Anyway the stylist told me that because of my hair length I would have to pay $100 for a touch up and $23 for a trim. I looked @ her like she was crazy. I usually pay $75 for everything. I did get the service because I really needed a perm but she won't be doing my hair again. And then she had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to buy a $170 ceramic iron that they were selling. These stylist are getting out of control. If they keep this up I will have to give the Dominicans my business.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You got robbed big time. I'd report that one.

My stylist used to work at JC Penney. Now she has a shop of her own and I think she charges for length. My touch-up was $60 including a trim and a wax. She uses Affirm.

Oh, okay. I never understood the pricing. I have been charged $65 and my cousin with shorter hair said she pays $50. I don't see why a touchup should have extra charges. I could understand long virgin hair, but not a touchup.

Oh yeah. I do remember many years ago being charged extra for having 3 months of new growth and being told that it was like applying a whole new perm and that I waited too late.

That happened to me before. I waited a long time, and the lady had to use an extra thing of Mizani, so she only charged me 5 bucks extra.

Back