Is it New Growth or Scab Hair? Pic's included

aquajoyice

Hi ladies,

Quick question... I was reading a post a few weeks back talking about "Scab" hair... I'd never heard of it before but it's the hair that grows in when you are trying to transition from relaxed to natural.. not to be mistaken with your true texture but grows out and then replaced with your actual texture of hair.

So on that note... is my new growth actually scab hair which means my hair typing is all off? So those with chemically treated hair are the hair types we think we are wrong because this new growth we're seeing isn't our real texture?

Attachments

• NG edges.JPG
    NG edges.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 212
  • NG down middle.JPG
    NG down middle.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 234
  • NG Back.JPG
    NG Back.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 183
  • NG top.JPG
    NG top.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
It is hard to tell. Imo, one doesn't know they have scab hair until they actually go fully natural and chop those relaxed ends off. This is because the relaxed ends are weighing your NG down. Plus, you probably won't be able to track the difference in your NG until/if you chop.

I believe scab hair exists. I think I had it when I first BC'd but it eventually went as I trimmed the ends of my hair. I do not think it affects everyone though.

^^^

Co-sign. I didn't believe in scab hair until I went natural the SECOND time and the hair growing out now is NOTHING like what grew out the first time. Sheeny, soft, defined coils and curls verses...I don't know what it was before but it wasn't kind, wouldn't hold moisture, keep a sheen, impossible to detangle without producing tears and craved protein like a celebrity craves attention.

I can't really say whether you're experiencing scab hair, but I definitely believe that I am. Most of my hair curls, but the front section of my hair is drier, barely curls, coarser, and won't hold a twist or coil for anything. If it's not scab hair, it must be heat damage or something...lol.

It is hard to tell. Imo, one doesn't know they have scab hair until they actually go fully natural and chop those relaxed ends off. This is because the relaxed ends are weighing your NG down. Plus, you probably won't be able to track the difference in your NG until/if you chop.

I believe scab hair exists. I think I had it when I first BC'd but it eventually went as I trimmed the ends of my hair. I do not think it affects everyone though.
It's making me look at the whole hair typing thing as if it doesn't apply to me in my hairs current state. Because like you said my relaxed hair is weighing down my new growth therefore giving me still and unnatural view of my own texture. So I think it would be best not to type my hair since as far as i'm concerned it wouldn't be accurate. Thanks Tocktick

^^^

Co-sign. I didn't believe in scab hair until I went natural the SECOND time and the hair growing out now is NOTHING like what grew out the first time. Sheeny, soft, defined coils and curls verses...I don't know what it was before but it wasn't kind, wouldn't hold moisture, keep a sheen, impossible to detangle without producing tears and craved protein like a celebrity craves attention.
I like the craving protein line, LOL! I also heard that scab hair can grow out all sorts of ways, It can be curly and then as it grows out kinkier or vice versa like you for instance have more of a sheen and a lot more manageable.

I can't tell whether your hair is scab hair or not. I definitely believe it exists bc I thinks I had some scab hair after my BC, especially in the front where I "used to spend a little extra time" with my relaxers bc my hair was more tightly coiled. I just recently cut off another 1-2 inches all around my hair since my BC (~3 weeks ago) and it is behaving MUCH better and is more soft. I really couldn't tell I had it until I did my BC, tho-.

On my first BC my first ever BC I had major scab hair issues my hair would not react to ANY PRODUCTS AT ALLL . iT WAS JUST STANDING STILL DRY AND ROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! than as it grew I trimmed bit by bit until the rough parts were gone. afte rthat I bc other times and it never happenned again.

On my first BC my first ever BC I had major scab hair issues my hair would not react to ANY PRODUCTS AT ALLL . iT WAS JUST STANDING STILL DRY AND ROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! than as it grew I trimmed bit by bit until the rough parts were gone. afte rthat I bc other times and it never happenned again.

this sounds like my hair now.. must be scab hair.. why is it call scab hair? Scab makes me think of scabies or scabs like sore scabs

Maybe this is why some pieces of my hair stick out completely straight. No curl, or anything; and they're not as soft or shiny as the parts that do curl up.

this sounds like my hair now.. must be scab hair.. why is it call scab hair? Scab makes me think of scabies or scabs like sore scabs

I think it's just bc it's damaged...but i really don't know

Maybe this is why some pieces of my hair stick out completely straight. No curl, or anything; and they're not as soft or shiny as the parts that do curl up.

prolly...:yep: i saw no way around it but to cut mine bc it was driving me crazy. i felt like it was damaged beyond repair. when i cut the tips, the hair started to act like the rest of my hair (softer, with texture, etc.)

So is the scab hair usually a tighter or looser curl??

i think it just depends on your hair, but mine was much looser and more frizzy and hard (almost felt/looked fried: like i had bleached it, blow dried and flat-ironed it and then re-colored it to match my hair color and then re-washed it. :lachen:) It would curl, but it was also just was dry and frizzy and didn't hold moisture like the rest of my hair... mine was primarily in the top of my head where i used to keep my relaxer on for longer to straighten it better bc i had a coarser texture than my back

^^ Agree. I had the same question s about scab hair when I was transitioning. But the long relaxed ends were still hanging on and making it very difficult to really tell. Now 4 months after my BC. it is very apparent that I have about 1.5 inches of scab hair on my ends.

It just feels different to the touch and responds differently to products. Eventually I will trim it all off. It's not different enough to jack up my puffs or other styles but I definitely notice it when I'm twisting or braiding or applying products to my hair.

I've definitely come to the realization that I'm experiencing scab hair. Particularly in the very front top area of my head. It won't curl for anything, it's frizzy, coarse, dry, and just uncooperative. I'm on a no trim/cutting challenge currently, but next year, I'm doing a good trim of those ends.

I had scab hair and just recently had it cut off. The ends were dry and really tight but the roots were moist and looser. My hair is so much nicer now. :yep:

After years of applying chemical relaxers to our scalp our follicles may become damaged. The shape of the follicle determines the texture of our hair and as new hair grows in through a damaged follicle the result can be dry, rough, frizzy hair also known as scab hair. However, when you are transitioning after awhile b/c you have ceased damaging the hair follicle your real texture comes in which is different from the scab hair that grew at first.

Can proper basing of the scalp and using an applicator comb with the proper amount of product (covering the new growth only) prevent scab hair, providing an effective barrier? I think people are using too much product and it expands on the hair...getting on the scalp. I know I was doing that...for years.

i heard about scab hair when i was transitioning but didnt realize i had it until i BC'd. no conditioner or moisturizer or leave in would take to it but it took to the main shaft. I cut off a good 2 inches almost 3 in some spots, about a month after my BC. It made a huge diff. every thing worked. Its not necessarily distinguished by your texture because mine was the same as it is now. but it was dryer then i ever thought my hair could be. I even started regreting going natural because i though nothing was going to work on my hair.

Based on my experience and others on the thread you may not know you have it until you BC.

i heard about scab hair when i was transitioning but didnt realize i had it until i BC'd. no conditioner or moisturizer or leave in would take to it but it took to the main shaft. I cut off a good 2 inches almost 3 in some spots, about a month after my BC. It made a huge diff. every thing worked. Its not necessarily distinguished by your texture because mine was the same as it is now. but it was dryer then i ever thought my hair could be. I even started regreting going natural because i though nothing was going to work on my hair.

Based on my experience and others on the thread you may not know you have it until you BC.
Gotcha, so it's not interfering with texture but more of how your hair abosorbs moisture or the lack there of. Thank-you for sharing

Gotcha, so it's not interfering with texture but more of how your hair abosorbs moisture or the lack there of. Thank-you for sharing

It really depends on your hair. some peoples hair texture isnt as defined due to lack of moisture...hence why some ladies say their texture changes after going curly girl. my moms hair has no curl when its very dry, yet i could get definition easy with gel when i had the scab hair, it just felt like brillo

Back