Is it necessary to trim every 6 to 8 weeks?

ethlyn

Experts say to trim hair every 6-8 wks or everytime you perm to prevent split ends causing more of a problem.
However, I don't have a split end problem from what I can see. Sure, my ends do grow unevenly. But because my hairdresser trims off too much, I see length at a much slower rate. So far I've noticed a couple of people on this board not cutting regularly. Thank-you for your ideas.

P.S.--I've emailed the administrators as to how to complete my profile.

I don't think it's necessary to trim every 6-8 weeks if you don't have a split end problem. Trimming hair that is very healthy is just a technique to keep your hair looking even and also to keep it looking thick. I also noticed that you said your hair dresser trims off too much hair. When you get a trim and your hair is healthy, she should only be trimming off about 1/8 of an inch. You should let you stylist know that you only want a certain amount cut off when you get your hair trimmed, or find a new stylist who listens to your needs.

i haven't trimmed since March 22nd, trying to hold out until August or september. I was getting trims every 12 weeks. Stopped after researching the issue-the stylists were quick to say that i needed a trim and promptly taking off my new growth. I don't have a split end problem only a tangle-problem.

I haven't trimmed since November of last year and I don't have any splits. I will only trim as needed or trim when I am ready to even up my hair. Trimming every 6-8 weeks is very unnecessary.

I don't think it's ever necessary to trim unless you have split ends, or want a more even/blunt cut.
smile.gif

I cut a few inches off in March, and I don't plan on trimming again unless I see damage, or I want to even up my hair.

next month marks a year since I trimmed my hair, since it was starting to split at the ends possibly from my heat styling once a week back then which MY hair couldn't handle. I haven't seen any splits still, but I may trim soon cuz my hair is uneven and it looks funny down.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have asked my hairdresser to trim a very, very small amount ( not specifically 1/8 of an inch--perhpas I should have). Anyway, I will trim every few months or less, or if I see damage.

Back