Is it me or is Sally's Beauty Supply racist?

RegaLady

I understand we are tired of hearing the 'r' word associated with everything, but I really was wondering if it was just me. I don't know if any of you have heard of Sally's beauty supply, but it is a major beauty supply chain around where I live. They sell majority white haircare and products, and they have a few black hair care products as well. But, every one of those beauty supplies I have been in, puts the black haircare products, right next to the aisle the register is, where the aisle can be 'watched'. I noticed this, when I went to the first one, when someone was sticking there head out to watch me. And a few other ones I have been to.:ohwell: I don't blame them for protecting their merchandise, but are black people more likely to steal hair products? And does our singling out have be so obvious? Hmmmm, just an observation.:look:

I agree but I have seen the Black products in a different isle...once :look:
It is funky, I really don't like Sally's, I prefer to order online than deal with them, they are overpriced, hardly have a sale on Black products and some stores barely carry anything.

I never thought about this. I thought they were just keeping the layout consistent from store to store. I think you're on to something.

I agree every sally's I've been in the Black hair care is right by the register but the sally's closest to me there is actually only one white sale girls (that I've seen) the rest are black.

I understand we are tired of hearing the 'r' word associated with everything, but I really was wondering if it was just me. I don't know if any of you have heard of Sally's beauty supply, but it is a major beauty supply chain around where I live. They sell majority white haircare and products, and they have a few black hair care products as well. But, every one of those beauty supplies I have been in, puts the black haircare products, right next to the aisle the register is, where the aisle can be 'watched'. I noticed this, when I went to the first one, when someone was sticking there head out to watch me. And a few other ones I have been to.:ohwell: I don't blame them for protecting their merchandise, but are black people more likely to steal hair products? And does our singling out have be so obvious? Hmmmm, just an observation.:look:

I've found Sallys to be a good product source with prices lower than the local chain or bss on some items plus my member card saves even more. Most of the employees are black. The black hair products where I shop are located in a few different shelf spaces; most I do not buy anyway{full of undesireable ingredients and hair effect. Perhaps it's eye sight located in some areas based on the shop owner's prejudices and not the chain itself. Speak to the manager at the sites which offend you to find out "what's the deal" with the placement.

I've never paid any attention to that before, but now that you mention it...you're right!!! There are about 5 sally's within a 20 mile radius to my home and they all have the "ethnic" products down the isle nearest the cash register. :perplexed

On another forum someone said that a CVS where she lived had security tags on all the black hair care products and not the white ones. She asked about it and was told it was because those were the products that get lifted a lot.

I can understand not wanting products stolen,but I would have put them on all products.

We have a Sally's here and in our town the products are towards the back of the store. So...

I've found Sallys to be a good product source with prices lower than the local chain or bss on some items plus my member card saves even more. Most of the employees are black. The black hair products where I shop are located in a few different shelf spaces; most I do not buy anyway{full of undesireable ingredients and hair effect. Perhaps it's eye sight located in some areas based on the shop owner's prejudices and not the chain itself. Speak to the manager at the sites which offend you to find out "what's the deal" with the placement.
*I don't disagree that they are a good product source, with prices lower than the local chain or bss on some items. And it is great that you can save with your member card. ( this sounds like an ad:lachen:) I am not knocking them. But, it is a little offensive that most of them(being a predominantly white beauty chain), place the black merchandise near registers. I really wouldn't think nothing of it, if it were evenly distributed across many stores. And the Sally's I were in, were not in black neighborhoods, nor were they in close proximities. And 1/3 of these stores I were in a black associate was there at the time. So, I guess it depends on location. :ohwell: I just thought it was pretty weird, that's all. Not everything is by coincidence.

there is a Sallys in the London and the products aimed at black people are no where near the register if i stole something no-one would know but that is real bad from what i am reading shame shame on them.:nono:

I notice this not at sally's but at some Salons that sell Mizani, Keracare and Phyto - they are all behind the register:nono:

The Sally's where I used to go had the black stuff near the back. The one I frequent now has the black stuff in the front, and has mostly black employees.

there is a Sallys in the London and the products aimed at black people are no where near the register if i stole something no-one would know but that is real bad from what i am reading shame shame on them.:nono:

The one I went to in Toronto kinda had them mixed in with the rest. I wouldn't have known they were the "black" products if I didn't know the brands. It was a small Sally's and didnt have a great selection anyways...

Lys

The Sally's I go to have the products in the back, near the first isle. The cash register is far from the black products they are not in the same isle as one another.

It aint just Sally's to me. Its EVERYWHERE. Everywhere i go the 'ethnic' section of whatever store is near the door or front registers OR has a strategically placed security camera directly over that spot.

I've seen this at bookstores, department stores, etc.

My Sally's has the "black" aisle in the back...no where near the register...I'm never watched and they are very friendly.

I think this depends on the sally's in question. The sally's by my house at home has black haircare products all over the place. The relaxers are on one side though by a register but there are two register's in my sally's. I feel like there are only black hair care products in the Sally's with black workers. Meh I wouldn't be surprised though to learn it was true. I saw a girl stealing Dr. Miracle's products from CVS once and she was very blatant and loud about it. :nono:

I live in Baltimore and my Sally's, well the two I frequent, have more "black" hair stuff than "white". The products for black people are next to the same section as those for white people so maybe it depends on where u live.

My Sally's has the "black" aisle in the back...no where near the register...I'm never watched and they are very friendly.

This is what I hated about Korean-owned BSS. Being watched all the damn time. This is why I no longer go to BSS that have physical locations. I do it all online or go to a CVS if I need something right away.

OP: Even though I've never been to a Sally's, I think you might be on to something. There are people who are actually responsible for the layout of the stores so maybe they decided to put the Black supplies near the front for one of two reasons: 1. Fear of theft or 2. Because of theft. Those gotta be the only two reasons. I would be interested in knowing the story behind this.

I am in London and I find one of the shop assistants (I think she may be the manager) at the Sally's in my area quite unfriendly unhelpful and cold. I thought it was my imagination but after several visits I noticed that she was quite friendly to the white customers. Her attitude really put me off going there. I was relieved that I did not have to see this womans sour face when I stopped relaxing my hair as I only used silk elements relaxer and that was the only place I could get it. All the staff are white and not very helpful. The black products are towards the back.

Last edited:
i've never paid attention to this before but u're right....at the sallys where i live (there are 3 in the area) they have all the black hair care items on the aisle with the register

they usually are very friendly to me though...

I've been to several Sally's stores in KS, and I have noticed that the black haircare isle is always directly off of the register in those stores. The farthest isle tends to be the nail care section (with all those tiny bottles, files & polishes) or non-product supply (end papers, smocks etc). I already avoid going to Sally's. The staff at the ones near me are a little off. Nice, but different. For my own benefit I'm just going to think that it's their complete lack of originality and aesthetic insight.

Last edited:
Wow thats weird:perplexed. Both of the Sally's Beauty Shops I go to, put the black hair products in the very back. I'd prefer it in the back anyways, because no ones staring at me while I choose my products

Yep, you are correct. I never noticed this before, but the black products are located on the aisle of the register. I also notice cameras located at the black haircare sections of some stores. I thought because of theft or fear of theft. I'd be interested in knowing why though... :perplexed

I live in Baltimore and my Sally's, well the two I frequent, have more "black" hair stuff than "white". The products for black people are next to the same section as those for white people so maybe it depends on where u live.
Same here. I live in the DC area and the Sally's here (if you can find one) have a ton of black items. But I will say, the relaxers etc are all in one aisle and that aisle ends at the register. I'm not sure if I want to say it is racist and since all the employees in the MD stores that I've been in are black, I've never been watched or followed.

Do ppl really steal $5 boxes of relaxers? I can see the expensive stuff like Phyto, Mizani, etc. but for real - Fabulaxer or Just for Me? You can get that stuff - on sale- at grocery and drug stores 'round these parts.

I'll have to resurvey Sally's the next time I'm there.

But check it. I'd rather that than when I go to the Asian BSSs. They have cameras in every aisle and they always have one or more ppl stationed in the wig/hair section which in a lot of the BSSs here are behind counters and you have to ask. Then in some really big BSS they don't give you the hair, they walk it to the register and leave it there till you are ready to check out. I feel much more racially targeted then than I do in a Sally's just b/c the black stuff is by the register. In the Asian BSS here, if they have white products it is usually the expensive stuff and it is like Sally's - behind or near the register where they can see you.

Now y'all got me all worked up over here. LOL :laugh:

Wow I never noticed this but it is true! The Sally's i go to has the black stuff in the aisle with the register and weave is right by the register, lol!

The Sally's I go to have the products in the back, near the first isle. The cash register is far from the black products they are not in the same isle as one another.

mine either...maybe its a MI thing...I wouldn't think so though:nono:

Wow. At my Sally's store, the black hair care aisle is the aisle furthest from the cash register. The aisle closest to the register has all the heat appliances (blow dryers, hood dryers and flat irons).

But check it. I'd rather that than when I go to the Asian BSSs. They have cameras in every aisle and they always have one or more ppl stationed in the wig/hair section which in a lot of the BSSs here are behind counters and you have to ask. Then in some really big BSS they don't give you the hair, they walk it to the register and leave it there till you are ready to check out. I feel much more racially targeted then than I do in a Sally's just b/c the black stuff is by the register. In the Asian BSS here, if they have white products it is usually the expensive stuff and it is like Sally's - behind or near the register where they can see you.

Now y'all got me all worked up over here. LOL :laugh:

I agree with you. The Asian BSSs I've been to are EXACTLY like that. That's why I try to go my black BSS when I can since the service is great and the prices are good. The only thing that is unfortunate is that they don't carry some (only a small few) products that the Asian BSS has. On the upside though, they are trying and getting better w/carrying more professional products.

I don't know if they're racist or not. But after you mentioned it, I do notice that the "black" supplies are in the aisle next to the register.

I don't really care one way or the other because they don't carry the products I need. A regular bss will do.

Back