Is it JUST me.....

tailormade84

...or does anyone else feel like they can make some of these "high end" products right in your own kitchen????:look:

For instance, I was itching to buy the Olive Honey Hydrating Balm from QHEMET , but after i read the ingredients:bookworm:....

"Pure olive oil, virgin sesame oil, vegetable glycerin, vegetable emulsifier, pure wildflower honey, MSM, Vitamin E, fragrance"

...i began thinking...."ummm...if i already own olive oil, veg. glycerin, wildflower honey, and vitamin E then why dont i just pocket my lil $16 (or really $22 after shipping) and make it myself? I mean how important is veg. emulsifier anyways????":rolleyes:

Has anyone else tried this for themselves (to try to make Olive Honey Hydrating Balm or any other product)? Has it ever backfired?:burning: What product have you made at home just by reading the ingredients list of a popular product????
:feedback:

LOL, I would hope it would never turn out like this:burning: I have never tried to make my own natural products, except for dc'ing, but I am sure it can be done. However, I think it might take some time to figure out the right amount of each ingredient to add to the mixture to make it work correctly. I remember trying very unsuccessfully to mix glycerine and water, I can't imagine trying anything more complicated than that.:lachen:

I haven't tried to make anything yet, but what you mentioned sure sounds good.

I just don't have the heart to use my honey in my hair. I love honey, my whole family loves honey. I use it to cook with and it's so expensive so I can't justify using it in my hair. I might like it too much.

I've never done this but now i think i may try. I was thinking that when i went into KBB the other day. If she's making it in her kitchen, why can't i make it in mine?

This is a funny post to me because I just recently received my ordered from Qhemet and when I looked at the ingredients, I thought the same thing.
I own most of the ingredients but as another poster said, it's just about finding the right formulation.
I do make some of my own concoctions though.

...or does anyone else feel like they can make some of these "high end" products right in your own kitchen????:look:

For instance, I was itching to buy the Olive Honey Hydrating Balm from QHEMET , but after i read the ingredients:bookworm:....

"Pure olive oil, virgin sesame oil, vegetable glycerin, vegetable emulsifier, pure wildflower honey, MSM, Vitamin E, fragrance"

...i began thinking...."ummm...if i already own olive oil, veg. glycerin, wildflower honey, and vitamin E then why dont i just pocket my lil $16 (or really $22 after shipping) and make it myself? I mean how important is veg. emulsifier anyways????":rolleyes:

Has anyone else tried this for themselves (to try to make Olive Honey Hydrating Balm or any other product)? Has it ever backfired?:burning: What product have you made at home just by reading the ingredients list of a popular product????
Shoot you could purchase a bunch of stuff from lotioncrafters and start your own product line:lachen:

I actually did this same thing last week when I wanted some of that same QB Honey Olive Balm. My own concoction was tweaked some, based on what I did and didn't have. But I was very happy with my results (I used my concoction as a deep conditioning treatment).

And like you said, I saved myself time & money (not waiting for that product to be shipped to me).

I actually did this same thing last week when I wanted some of that same QB Honey Olive Balm. My own concoction was tweaked some, based on what I did and didn't have. But I was very happy with my results (I used my concoction as a deep conditioning treatment).

And like you said, I saved myself time & money (not waiting for that product to be shipped to me).

ohhhh...what was your recipe ???

I agree with you 100%. But I would think that the emulsifier would be necessary to bind all the ingredients together and give the product a creamier feel, so that it wouldn't be sticky from the honey, or greasy from the oil. Let us know how yours turns out!

Not everything! Now I notice EVERYONE is trying to make their "own" product and if you know your ingredients you will notice that most stuff is the same crap with a different, pretty label, all promising to do the same thing.

Owners like Qhem, Marsha from Curl Junkie and Kinky Curly actually have a LAB where they test things and whatnot, they don't just whip it up in their kitchen and sell it to everyone. A lot of people are doing just that, and then people wonder why they are getting mold in their products.

Not to knock anyone, but I played around trying to mix stuff and it was a right ole headache! Then you have to buy ingredients and/or use stuff up so it doesn't mold. Too much work for me. I'd rather pay the $16 for something and have it instead of having to buy ingredients and equipment to make it.

No, I thought about making a generic version of my expensive shampoo and conditioner . . . but I would have to get all the chemicals and know the ratio of each item, plus figure out how much of the natural products need to be added or have a chemist make them for me.

I was just told by my stylist that it would be better just buying it already made.

I agree with you 100%. But I would think that the emulsifier would be necessary to bind all the ingredients together and give the product a creamier feel, so that it wouldn't be sticky from the honey, or greasy from the oil. Let us know how yours turns out!

true, but i dont care about the feel, i care about the final result! :lachen:
and as long as i stir before each use, the emulsifier should matter too much, should it? mixtresses? anyone??:perplexed

No, I thought about making a generic version of my expensive shampoo and conditioner . . . but I would have to get all the chemicals and know the ratio of each item, plus figure out how much of the natural products need to be added or have a chemist make them for me.

I was just told by my stylist that it would be better just buying it already made.

That's the big one for me. If I could just take the same amount of everything, throw it all together, and have it work like the original product?:lick:

But it doesn't work that way. :( It might be something as simple as one product having a realllllllly tiny amount, or another product having a reallllly high amount that makes the difference.

yep. I have and will continue to whip up whatever I can with what I have. if it involves:ACV, honey, coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut milk, yogurt, essential oils, olive oil, molassas, bananas, cayenne pepper or anything else. . . .imma make my own version before I pay a buttload of money on some name brand.

i made a mint chocolate hair mask, by microwaving those little sticks of cocoa butter + adding peppermint essential oil. the mix was fine when it was warm, but at room temperature it became solid as a rock, & i couldn't put it in my hair :(

now i scrape some out w/ a roller & use it as a body moisturizer!

i need to browse the hair recipes section more thoroughly, making stuff from scratch is fun!

Owners like Qhem, Marsha from Curl Junkie and Kinky Curly actually have a LAB where they test things and whatnot, they don't just whip it up in their kitchen and sell it to everyone. A lot of people are doing just that, and then people wonder why they are getting mold in their products.
I would think the mold comes from not realising people need to either use up their own concoctions in a couple days or add a preservative, not because they need a lab and a bunch of tests. I am pretty sure if Qhem et. al. forgot a preservative we would all be complaining about wasting money for molded products. It could also be that people are not taking care of their ingredients and supplies and letting them go rancid or not cleaning them well, but that is still an easily avoidable mistake.

I believe we all can take initiative to make our own products, whether we do it completely from scratch based on what we know our hair (and skin for that matter) likes, or if we are trying to create our own version of a popular product. I am not saying we all should, but that we can. Some of us are very DIY and some of us prefer the ease of other people doing it for us. I know if I told my mother the way I customise my products or am planning on making up my own she would look at me like I grew nine heads. :lachen:

The only time I could see wanting to replicate a product I could buy is if the price is too prohibitive and the ingredients list is too simple. I know people have posted about some company charging $45 for something made with ayurvedic powders and herbs; I would assume I could make something that could do the same thing for a lot less. I personally never see myself looking at something and saying "I can create this exact same thing" because I am not into wasting time and money getting the ratios right, as mentioned, when I could spend time taking an idea and tweaking it to my liking. I would rather make something that accomplishes the same thing, or better.

But I am also limited by how much it can cost to get things right to begin with. What I mean is, one would have to buy all the ingredients in "bulk" because rarely can they buy portions that are just right for their goals. Add in necessary tools and supplies, and the cost of getting all this stuff together can get high very quickly. Then, there is usually some experimentation on getting the right recipe, so that is wasted time and money. So I tend to disagree that the actual cost of making one's own products is low.

I would think the mold comes from not realising people need to either use up their own concoctions in a couple days or add a preservative, not because they need a lab and a bunch of tests. I am pretty sure if Qhem et. al. forgot a preservative we would all be complaining about wasting money for molded products. It could also be that people are not taking care of their ingredients and supplies and letting them go rancid or not cleaning them well, but that is still an easily avoidable mistake.

I believe we all can take initiative to make our own products, whether we do it completely from scratch based on what we know our hair (and skin for that matter) likes, or if we are trying to create our own version of a popular product. I am not saying we all should, but that we can. Some of us are very DIY and some of us prefer the ease of other people doing it for us. I know if I told my mother the way I customise my products or am planning on making up my own she would look at me like I grew nine heads. :lachen:

The only time I could see wanting to replicate a product I could buy is if the price is too prohibitive and the ingredients list is too simple. I know people have posted about some company charging $45 for something made with ayurvedic powders and herbs; I would assume I could make something that could do the same thing for a lot less. I personally never see myself looking at something and saying "I can create this exact same thing" because I am not into wasting time and money getting the ratios right, as mentioned, when I could spend time taking an idea and tweaking it to my liking. I would rather make something that accomplishes the same thing, or better.

But I am also limited by how much it can cost to get things right to begin with. What I mean is, one would have to buy all the ingredients in "bulk" because rarely can they buy portions that are just right for their goals. Add in necessary tools and supplies, and the cost of getting all this stuff together can get high very quickly. Then, there is usually some experimentation on getting the right recipe, so that is wasted time and money. So I tend to disagree that the actual cost of making one's own products is low.

Ehh, that's one way you can get mold, there are a million different preservatives and you have to know which to use for this kind of mixture and that...I'm telling you I would abandon stuff mid-project, clutching at my hair!!

I'm not really talking about people making stuff at home to use for themselves, I was more talking about people mixing up stuff at home and then selling it. Or just mixing stuff up and not knowing what the heck they're doing.

Sure, anyone can make what they want or try to. PERSONALLY...my experimenting days are OVA!!! lol! One napptural friend of mine just sent me a box of stuff wayyyyyyyy back in the day. I guess she got overzealous and was like "YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! I'm going to make this and this and this...." in the end she ended up giving me stuff cause she was like I don't have the time, patience or inclination to play mixtress :lachen: hell, now I even have her stuff that I don't know what to do with.

I cannot even imagine making up stuff to sell. :nono: Not for the hair, at least. Jewelry does not require testing out ingredients!

This is one reason I make most of my products at home. When I get finished making them I find that I made the same product in my home what was on the shelf in the store.

ohhhh...what was your recipe ???
Well it wasn't so much a recipe as it was it was an experiment. I used an almost empty bottle of my favorite leave-in (Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo), then I added some olive oil (about 3 Tbsp.), honey (about 1/2 Tbsp.), and maybe even a bit of my Africa's Best Carrot & Tea Tree oil (I don't know why, I just felt like it).

I didn't make a whole bottle's worth, b/c I didn't know how I'd like it. Then I put the mixture on my hair. My hair was wonderfully moist and soft in the morning.

If I were to change anything I did for the next time, I would have heated the honey in a seperate container for 30 seconds before adding it. I found out through some research later than honey (esp. used with olive or coconut oil) releases peroxide and can lighten your hair. Heating the honey destroys this effect. I used a blow drier on my hair to get the needed heat to prevent any color changes.

Some of the most loved product lines on this board started in someone's kitchen. Miss Jessie's, Hairveda, Afroveda, Carols' daughter etc. I personally feel duped when i pay top dollar for something i could have mixed up in my kitchen. Some of my kitchen mixes work better then the real thing. Miss Jessie's Butter cream comes to mind - my version of that cost pennies on the dollar compared to the real thing and my daughter hair responds better to it.

What always stops me in my tracks is the issue of PRESERVATION, you could be growing bacteria that cause BLINDNESS if you don't preserve products properly and I won't always have a fridge handy. If I could know for sure my homemade stuff was safe without lab testing I'd mix up my own products.

What always stops me in my tracks is the issue of PRESERVATION, you could be growing bacteria that cause BLINDNESS if you don't preserve products properly and I won't always have a fridge handy. If I could know for sure my homemade stuff was safe without lab testing I'd mix up my own products.

thanks for the heads up:yawn:, but i must ask are you being serious or exaggerating? if you are serious, please reference.

Some of the most loved product lines on this board started in someone's kitchen. Miss Jessie's, Hairveda, Afroveda, Carols' daughter etc. I personally feel duped when i pay top dollar for something i could have mixed up in my kitchen. Some of my kitchen mixes work better then the real thing. Miss Jessie's Butter cream comes to mind - my version of that cost pennies on the dollar compared to the real thing and my daughter hair responds better to it.

care to share your recipe? :grin:

It really depends upon the ingredients you use and whether or not you even need to worry about preservation. I don't use honey in large batches, i make enough for whatever I'm using. You also have to be careful about adding water to anything because believe it or not, water has some thangs in it .

Also there are certain herbs that you need to make enough to use and not to store. .rosemary comes to mind and fresh peppermint. Things like homemade caramelisation also needs to be made to use right away.

Let me know how it works out without it. I have been trying to find some vegetable emulsifier for 2 weeks. I have everything else.

Back