Is it JUST me.....

thanks for the heads up:yawn:, but i must ask are you being serious or exaggerating? if you are serious, please reference.

I am being serious. I apologize if my use of caps was misleading. I've read this numerous times, the one that comes most recently to mind is an article I read on The Beauty Brains.

Companies use certain preservatives to make their formulas stable for a long time (more time on the shelf, means more money in their pockets) and to prevent bacterial growth. I've forgotten the name of the particular strain but it causes blindness on contact. Eep! :perplexed

I've also had mold and other creepy crawlies grow in mixes I made and left about with my manufactured products which showed me SOME form of preservation is necessary.:nono: I'm not sure how to go about preserving this properly and I'd rather not risk it, myself. I'm a bit cowardly when it comes to messing with micro-organisms, as you can see, LOL! :lachen:

Perhaps one won't go blind (unless aloe and shea gone rancid can produce the same bacterial strain, I wouldn't know)...but this information left me quite scared, as you can see. :ohwell:

Kudos to those who do so and benefit!:yep: I'll just continue product wandering, myself. :look: I hope that explains my rationale.

It really depends upon the ingredients you use and whether or not you even need to worry about preservation. I don't use honey in large batches, i make enough for whatever I'm using. You also have to be careful about adding water to anything because believe it or not, water has some thangs in it .

Also there are certain herbs that you need to make enough to use and not to store. .rosemary comes to mind and fresh peppermint. Things like homemade caramelisation also needs to be made to use right away.

Thank you, for this clarification! :yep:

LOL, I would hope it would never turn out like this:burning: I have never tried to make my own natural products, except for dc'ing, but I am sure it can be done. However, I think it might take some time to figure out the right amount of each ingredient to add to the mixture to make it work correctly. I remember trying very unsuccessfully to mix glycerine and water, I can't imagine trying anything more complicated than that.:lachen:

:lachen: I tried that once, and it was a hot mess. I didn't quite mix them too well and let's just say that it wasn't balanced enough and the glycerine was just too much. I hated that sticky feeling on my hair. Never again.

Back