Is It Even Possible?

I had never heard of heat training until today. It sounds really interesting, and I'd love to learn more about it.

Why do you want to go natural if you prefer your hair straight all the time? I'm assuming you're allergic to relaxers or something of that nature?

ETA: I workout atleast 6 days a week, I have 4a hair, and I cowash after every workout. So for me, no, it wouldn't be possible (logical, feasible) to keep my hair pressed. I think it would depend on how often you wash your hair, whether you want it bone straight, your hair type, etc.

Because you don't always want to deal with the chemicals. I have natural hair. I get Dominican blowouts a lot. I like the look of straight hair on me.

I don't think its possible. If you wear your hair pressed every once in a while then its ok. But if you are always going to wear your hair straight I personally say its pointless. You are going to be fighting your hair to get that straight style that you want and you will most likely just end up frustrated.

Naturals who straighten=oxymoron

Its not an oxymoron but for most its unrealistic to lead a very active lifestyle and wear it straight ALL the time. I notice many of the natural ladies on here wear their hair natural for the most part and every once in a while straighten their hair. I just think if you are going to wear it straight all the time relaxed may just be better because you're not constantly fighting your curls to flatten out.

The reason I want to go natural is because I think my hair hates relaxers. Relaxers weaken my hair, and I'd to stop using them. However, I'd still like to have straight hair. So, I'd figured that I should press instead of perm. When I was young, my mother used to press my hair, and my hair was much healthier back then.

I think you may need to be open to atleast have some texture to your hair. You can heat train but as your hair starts to revert in between pressing I would suggest rod setting, braiding,and twisting your pressed hair for a more textured look. I used to wear my hair pressed all the time but as it reverted I would just work w/it. You can also bun it when it starts to revert.

eta: My hair stayed around shoulder length w/this type of routine, I'm not sure what your goals are but everyone's hair can't take alot of heat.

Last edited:
Why does your hair have to be pressed?

There are a multitude of water/sweat-proof natural styles that you can do while leading an active lifestyle that would be easier on your hair and easier to maintain overall.

Examples of water/sweat-proof natural styles:

- Mini Braids (no added hair necessary): You can wash as often as you like, it wont get ruined by being washed or being exposed to humidity and keep your hair in a stretched detangled state.

- Mini-twists (I suggest you add hair for these to really last you): Washable and humidity proof and can hold up to sweat very well.

- Cornrow styles are great for an active lifestyle

- If you're a 3c and below you can usually do wash n go's

- If you really gotta maintain your sexy you could braid your hair up and make your own breathable wig and work-out in it:look: :rofl:

At the end of the day, if having straight hair is a priority for you, you may as well remain relaxed.

I just installed some mini braids and I'm really enjoying the freedom, I slept over a friends house and realized I forgot my shower cap, then I remembered....I dont need it with this style!:yay: Liberation!:woot:

For the mini braids, are they just small, individual braids? Do you have any pics of yours? TIA!

My hair reverts without sweating up a storm so for me it's not possible to sweat and stay straight 24/7 without using more heat. I can stay kinky straight/puffy but not straight.

Actually, it can be a little challenging but it can be done. The tight scarf and a high ponytail definitely works. I sweat heavily and actually was able to test that out once and it worked. However, my roots became a little puffy.
With that said I do not prefer to keep my hair flatironed often (I work out 4 - 5 days a week) because I am lazy and don't have time to keep the style up. I think the one option that would work for you would be to straighten on the weekend (if you're working out during the week). That way you can have the bone sleek look for 2 or so days. Then, if after working out you find that your hair is a little puffy after the scarf trick, roll your hair overnight with curlformers. I love those things! They will definitely straighten you back out, however your hair will not be sleek/straight, it will be in ringlets.

Good luck! However you may want to try some of the more textured styles or straight weaves/wigs that were mentioned as well. It may become a little frustrating to keep that 'fresh' pressed look all the time while being very active.

i think its can be done too. you might have to be realistic and have to deal with some napped roots. LOL at people suggesting heat training like its magic. i am a heavy sweater in my head but i exercise at a moderate intensity where i wouldn't sweat out my press.i am at a good weight (i lost 40 lbs!)and have nice definition but i am not as fit as i could be so i dont know if that helps. i also touch up my edges and the roots where i part my hair if they become too crinkly.(I can deal with a wave but not a mini root fro.) i know thats not the best thing but i use the lowest possible heat just to get my hair to smooth out.(level 5 with my pressing comb) and i find that to be better in the long run than using wax and brushing the life out of my edges like i was before. i also wear my presses for a long time. 3 weeks(im trying to stretch it for more!)HTH

also if you go the ponytail route also try getting of of those stretchy velcro headwraps. they look fashionable enough while keeping them edges at bay:lol:

Last edited:
Its not an oxymoron but for most its unrealistic to lead a very active lifestyle and wear it straight ALL the time. I notice many of the natural ladies on here wear their hair natural for the most part and every once in a while straighten their hair. I just think if you are going to wear it straight all the time relaxed may just be better because you're not constantly fighting your curls to flatten out.

Please check the definition of oxymoron and then you will understand what I mean, maybe.

It's possible. I have done everything from cardio to full out yoga with a press. Now, the heated room with yoga is probably the type that cases the most reversion...but in gym exercise you can just use the machines that are under the air vent and be straight(that's what do when my hair is pressed)...pun intended lol, besides the more fit you get so the less sweat you produce as you exercise. Unfit ppl will many times sweat more and in general fat creates more body heat. The better shape anyone gets in the less hard their body has to work to do the same exercise.

Thank u for noting this. I have been an athlete my whole life. I ran track all the way throughout college- n still run and have been a prsl trainer and aerobics instructor recently. I noticed that I never really sweat much- maybe perspire- but not sweat. So I always wondered why everyone is sweating so much anyway. What ur saying sounds right b/c I workout at competition level (body/sprinter) still and never experience this.

So op, I think it can be done and still retain length. Even if u sweat a lot all u have to do is work with your hair as it reverts. I love doing braidouts or twistouts when that happens. Check out gabannagirls fotki regimen on the first page. She has a great routine for working with reversion when she flat irons.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

*raising hand*
Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer, and runner for personal fitness...

So, needless to say I am very active in the gym. I have natural hair. I am usually curly, or in a natural style (twists, braids, ect.) I rarely keep my hair straight. When I do, I wear my hair in a high bun, or a few cornrows. I do not sport the bone straight look. So, you must be comfortable with your natural hair, b/c reversion will occur.

I power walk 3-4x's a week & if my hair is straighten it reverts back...So I just pin it up & keep going.....But I keep my hair in its natural state 95% of the time..

Happy Hair Growing!

Back