Is It Even Possible?

vtoodler

I really want to go natural.

However, I'm not convinced that I can lead an active lifestyle with pressed hair. I always sweat up a storm--even if I exercise in the winter and wear lightweight and absorbent clothing.

Does anyone here know any natural ladies who lead active lifestyles? Is it even possible?

So you want to be a 24/7 straightened natural? If so, may I ask why the desire to change what you have now?

Does anyone here know any natural ladies who lead active lifestyles? Is it even possible?

Yes, but I'm assuming they keep their hair in it's natural state. The sweat and heat from exercising will make pressed hair revert.

I don't think you should go to the gym or exercise with pressed hair anyway. I mean, looking cute for the gym when you're just going to perspire and make your hair revert is counter-productive. :look:

However, I'm not convinced that I can lead an active lifestyle with pressed hair. I always sweat up a storm--even if I exercise in the winter and wear lightweight and absorbent clothing.

As Charz said, just let it dry with a scarf tied around your head, if your hair is not taut as it dries, it will shrink up.

Why do you want to go natural if you prefer your hair straight all the time? I'm assuming you're allergic to relaxers or something of that nature?

ETA: I workout atleast 6 days a week, I have 4a hair, and I cowash after every workout. So for me, no, it wouldn't be possible (logical, feasible) to keep my hair pressed. I think it would depend on how often you wash your hair, whether you want it bone straight, your hair type, etc.

Last edited:
It's really not possible if you're leading a truly active lifestyle and tend to sweat from your head. When I say truly active I mean, Turbo Fire, Insanity, P90X active where you're breaking a serious sweat. If you're doing light walking and light weight training you may be able to get away with tying it down/high pony etc., though I think the constant daily tension and manipulation could be damaging to your edges over time.

The best option for you may be to heat train your hair or maintain your hair in it's relaxed state if you prefer a straight look. Health before hair IMO.

If you sweat up a storm, your pressed hair is gonna revert. On top of that in my past experiences (whether relaxed or natural), sweat dries hair out. So I'm not recommending that you don't workout, but I just think you should consider other options for your hair besides pressing.

Yes, but I'm assuming they keep their hair in it's natural state. The sweat and heat from exercising will make pressed hair revert.

I don't think you should go to the gym or exercise with pressed hair anyway. I mean, looking cute for the gym when you're just going to perspire and make your hair revert is counter-productive. :look:

I read somewhere that the bolded is part of why so many black women are overweight.

I work out HARD 5-6 days per week (Insanity, cardio zumba with weights, P90X, etc) and I'm a heavy sweater...I mean a REALLY heavy sweater. And this is with me being in pretty good shape (my resting heart rate is around 55bpm).

Now that I've told you why I'm qualified to answer your question, let me tell you- what you're looking to do is IMPOSSIBLE. If you're truly a heavy sweater, and if fitness is supremely important to you, it is IMPOSSIBLE to wear your hair straight and have a serious fitness regimen. I have worn a stretched out puff to the gym and by the end of the workout, my hair has reverted all the way back down to a teeny-tiny-TWA.

My suggestion to you is to either stay relaxed, or fully embrace your curly/kinky texture and rock it.

Last edited:
I work out HARD 5-6 days per week (Insanity, cardio zumba with weights, P90X, etc) and I'm a heavy sweater...I mean a REALLY heavy sweater. And this is with me being in pretty good shape (my resting heart rate is around 55bpm).

Now that I've told you why I'm qualified to answer your question, let me tell you- what you're looking to do is IMPOSSIBLE. If you're truly a heavy sweater, and if fitness is supremely important to you, it is IMPOSSIBLE to wear your hair straight and have a serious fitness regimen. I have worn a stretched out puff to the gym and by the end of the workout, my hair has reverted all the way back down to a teeny-tiny-TWA.

My suggestion to you is to either stay relaxed, or fully embrace your curly/kinky texture and rock it.

I agree. I am texlaxed and I workout like a beast. I can not even try to keep a straight style when I'm training.

When I flat iron my hair I take 2-3 days off from working out and enjoy my hair. Then I go back to exercise when I'm ready to sweat my hair out again.

but do you really need to be sweating buckets at the gym to be fit and healthy?:look:

Nope but if you engage in sustained movement for the recommended 20-30 minutes your body temp will rise and you'll sweat at least a little which will cause hair natural hair to revert and relaxed hair to get puffy.

but do you really need to be sweating buckets at the gym to be fit and healthy?:look:

No, but its pretty natural that as you up your intensity, sweating will come. But its an inevitable realization most women come to, either you are going to the gym to be cute or you are going to get the most out of the work out.

It sucks. It's almost as if we have to choose between having sleek hair or staying fit.

For me, fitness trumps hair, but I still yearn to have both. I'm considering braiding my hair.

Well...it's not like it's an option between choosing healthy hair or staying fit, so it doesn't suck for me :)

To answer your question, I'm usually able to keep my straightened hair pretty intact when working out. I put it in a tight high bun usually. Pinkskates, who I don't think posts here anymore, worked out a lot with heat straightened natural hair.

Being natural IMO is not just a fad or what's hot in the streets type of thing. It's a lifestyle change and if you want to be a 24/7 pressed natural it's not worth going natural. You would do better just texlaxing or staying full relaxed.

I say this due to heat and the daily manipulation for healthy hair.

Last edited:
When I flat ironed my hair I still worked out - I had it in a bun and wore a scarf in order to keep my edges sleek. However...I wasn't wearing my hair out because I never straighten it and about two seconds after I take it down it starts to grow.

I don't flatiron my hair often, but it is now. I just had a very intense work out on Saturday & my roots puffed up a little bit, but the rest of my hair stayed straight. I wore a high ponytail & my hair still looks fine when hanging.

Why does your hair have to be pressed?

There are a multitude of water/sweat-proof natural styles that you can do while leading an active lifestyle that would be easier on your hair and easier to maintain overall.

Examples of water/sweat-proof natural styles:

- Mini Braids (no added hair necessary): You can wash as often as you like, it wont get ruined by being washed or being exposed to humidity and keep your hair in a stretched detangled state.

- Mini-twists (I suggest you add hair for these to really last you): Washable and humidity proof and can hold up to sweat very well.

- Cornrow styles are great for an active lifestyle

- If you're a 3c and below you can usually do wash n go's

- If you really gotta maintain your sexy you could braid your hair up and make your own breathable wig and work-out in it:look: :rofl:

At the end of the day, if having straight hair is a priority for you, you may as well remain relaxed.

I just installed some mini braids and I'm really enjoying the freedom, I slept over a friends house and realized I forgot my shower cap, then I remembered....I dont need it with this style!:yay: Liberation!:woot:

Depending on ur hair texture its prob just not going to happen if u really sweat hard and want to have straight hair. I'm 4b and I used to get my hair flat ironed weekly and I would wear it out for the weekend and then wear a half wig during the week bc id always sweat it out. I work out w a scarf on and that keeps my edges laying down.

Now I don't even waste that time and money to have straight hair for two days. I just wear a half wig that blends better with my hair without having to use any heat. I do wonder what I will do when I finally grow tired of half wigs tho.

It "might" be possible if u do a hard press and/or heat train. I used to get those old school presses growing up and unless I dunked my head in some water they stayed pretty straight.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

The reason I want to go natural is because I think my hair hates relaxers. Relaxers weaken my hair, and I'd to stop using them. However, I'd still like to have straight hair. So, I'd figured that I should press instead of perm. When I was young, my mother used to press my hair, and my hair was much healthier back then.

Check out pinkskates. She keeps her natural hair pressed and she works out regularly.

Keep in mind though that Pinkskates has also stated that she no longer sweats from her workout and was never really a "head sweater" to begin with....

The reason I want to go natural is because I think my hair hates relaxers. Relaxers weaken my hair, and I'd to stop using them. However, I'd still like to have straight hair. So, I'd figured that I should press instead of perm. When I was young, my mother used to press my hair, and my hair was much healthier back then.

Heat training is probably the best option then:yep: There's a heat training support thread around here somewhere...

Girl...DON'T do IT! I think that wouldn't work at all. Why? Because I use to get my hair pressed when I was younger..and I would go outside to play..I would sweat a little bit..but my hair would look like a HAM. If I was you, I would just wear my hair natural..or modify your regimen with the relaxer to control the damage.

/\ I agree with kbragg. Heat training will be the best move for you then. I hope you have coarse hair! Lol I was successfully heat trained back in the day and I think having coarse hair that can withstand it made that possible.

vtoodler I know what you mean about feeling you have stronger hair when natural, same here even my heat trained hair was stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back