Is it absolutely mandatory to trim split ends?

Is it mandatory to trim split ends?

• Total voters
dreemssold said:
I would say yes. I think you can revive and rebuild damaged ends, but split ends can not be somehow magically melded back together. Therefore, only one of two things will happen. It will stay split and the hair will look a mess OR it will split up the shaft until it eventually breaks off. This will leave a half (or thereabout) a strand of hair which wil be thin and if there are more than a few of these, the hair will still look a mess. So, I would cut the split ends. Just a dusting, but I'd get rid of them, nevertheless.
ITA you don't have to do a traumatic cut like 2-3 inches to get results your hair grows constantly so you can do dusting trimms along the way.
With splits you really want to get them fisrt before they get you.

This has been a big question of mines to. I have heard some say that you don't have to and some say you do. I had a really bad experience in the salon with a trim turning in to a 2 in. cut. I was so mad that I stopped going to that stylist and have tried to maintain my split ends on my own.

I think a trim is necessary if length and thickness are what you are trying to obtain. No use having thin, split, raggedy long hair right? Also no use in having short hair that obviously looks damaged.

If you dont cut the split ends, no question about it, the will eventually continute to split up the hair shaft and break off at some point. When it breaks off, you will not have retained your length and it will appear as if your hair is not growing. In addition, just in the nature of how it breaks off, your hair will be it will be very uneaven and become see through.

Now you were specific about split ends -- If your hair is uneaven and healthy w/o splits, then no, it is not mandatory to trim them. A little dusting here and there should enable you to retain your lenght. For those that wear layers, I would be less suggestive to trimming ends since hair does not fall neatly and expose how uneven it is.

Personally, I like my ends even. I try to start with a good trim at the beginning of the year and then dust my way throught the year.

Last edited:
I'm from the Cathy Howse school. Split ends will not keep splitting all the way up the hair shaft in most cases. :nono: In fact, I prefer to keep my splits. :yep: The part that is split stays split for me and I work on making the splits look better. Cutting the splits is not use b/c the new ends will just split again eventually. By keeping the splits I am protecting the hair that is right above the split.

Last edited:
Lovelylocs said:
I'm from the Cathy Howse school. Split ends will not keep splitting all the way up the hair shaft in most cases. :nono: In fact, I prefer to keep my splits. :yep: The part that is split stays split for me and I work on making the splits look better. Cutting the splits is not use b/c the new ends will just split again eventually. By keeping the splits I am protecting the hair that is right about the split.

My personal experience is that my splits get wider, longer and uglier. I dont necessarily agree with your hair "re-splitting" after cutting them. Because, with proper maintenance - no heat, proper moisture, etc. You hair will not split.

The only need for scissors will be to even up hairs that grow longer than others.

Lovelylocs said:
I'm from the Cathy Howse school. Split ends will not keep splitting all the way up the hair shaft in most cases. :nono: In fact, I prefer to keep my splits. :yep: The part that is split stays split for me and I work on making the splits look better. Cutting the splits is not use b/c the new ends will just split again eventually. By keeping the splits I am protecting the hair that is right about the split.

ITA. If one's hair is so damaged that every split is going to travel all the way up the hair shaft, then a little trim is really not going to save the hair. I also think that dry ends are often mistaken for split ends.

SerenityBreeze said:
My personal experience is that my splits get wider, longer and uglier. I dont necessarily agree with your hair "re-splitting" after cutting them. Because, with proper maintenance - no heat, proper moisture, etc. You hair will not split.

The only need for scissors will be to even up hairs that grow longer than others.
But I very rarely use any heat. The only heat that gets on my hair is from deep conditioning or when I have my hair rollerset after my retouch. Other than after retouches, I almost always airdry. I deep condition regularly too. I detangle with my fingers and hardly ever use a comb. I never use a brush. My hair is pinned up in a protective style.

I've never had my hair split all the way up the hair shaft. :nono:

rai said:
Hey Everyone,

Lately, there's been a lot of discussion about split ends. So I want to know is it <font color="red"> absolutely positively necessary </font> <font color="red"> </font> to cut them off??? I had extensions for about a year, and then I decided to cut off all the perm ends. So aight, I'm natural right, everything should be great, right? Nope. I decided to cut another 1.5 inch off because the ends were really rough (my fiancee thought I was going crazy). Now I have about 6 inches of hair, but I still have split ends. Not all of the strands are split, but I'm not going to lie, alot of them are. The problem is that the split ends are like 1-2 inches from the end of strands and I really don't want trim that much off. I know, I'm pitiful.
spank.gif

But honestly, do I really need to cut them off. Is there anything I can do to keep my hair healthy without taking off the split ends?
scratchchin.gif

I don't know why my ends are so split. Any ideas?

I sleep with a satin cap every night and I moisture with Healthy Ends about every other night. How can I prevent split ends?

Hi Rai,
I was in the same boat as you. I decided to do the BC right down to a cm! I had not trimmed my hair since last summer. Even though I was gaining length my hair seemed to be getting thinner, so I had no choice but to take drastic action. My new growth is thicker and so far no split ends. I'm doing daily CW and weekly DC, and my hair loves it.

Get rid of the split ends, they just travel up the hair shaft and cause more harm than good. Regular trimming is definitely the key to stronger and thicker hair. No amount of conditioning can mend a split end, only decreasing the amount of heat you use and moisture, moisture and more moisture can prevent them.

HHG,
MeechUK

I snip off individual split ends. I'm natural so it's not necessary for all my hair to be one length, so I don't see the point of trimming all my hair if all of it's not splitting.

I don't trim my hair for split ends because sometimes I'm not sure what they look like. I just trim them when they look rough.

MeechUK said:
Hi Rai,
I was in the same boat as you. I decided to do the BC right down to a cm! I had not trimmed my hair since last summer. Even though I was gaining length my hair seemed to be getting thinner, so I had no choice but to take drastic action. My new growth is thicker and so far no split ends. I'm doing daily CW and weekly DC, and my hair loves it.

Get rid of the split ends, they just travel up the hair shaft and cause more harm than good. Regular trimming is definitely the key to stronger and thicker hair. No amount of conditioning can mend a split end, only decreasing the amount of heat you use and moisture, moisture and more moisture can prevent them.

HHG,
MeechUK
:confused: It was splitting all the way up to roots so much that it was growing in split? :confused:

To keep the hair healthy, I think it is a must because I think they lead to breakage and just don't look or feel good. Which is why I am now 2 inches shorter! Had I done it sooner, my trim would not have been so dramatic.

Last edited:
nefertitiblack said:
ITA. If one's hair is so damaged that every split is going to travel all the way up the hair shaft, then a little trim is really not going to save the hair. I also think that dry ends are often mistaken for split ends.

But if you trim above the split, the hair is no longer split, so that should solve it. It may not travel all the way up the hair shaft, but my experience is that they break and thin out the hair.

I don't think it's mandatory to trim split ends but it definitely looks better and improves the health of one's hair. I've never had a spilt end go all the way up the hair shaft but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you are trying to maintain length, gradually dusting/trimming is cool. But if you're going look and health, I would trim them babies off.

Personally, *I* don't believe in split ends. Frizzy? Yeah. Uneven? Hell yeah. But "splitting?" I can't get with that!

I have NEVER saw a "splitting" end on my hair. Ever! Now, I am not saying my hair is above damage because I get moe damage than the next sista. Just never saw a "splitting" hair and I just don't believe in them.

MizaniMami said:
Personally, *I* don't believe in split ends. Frizzy? Yeah. Uneven? Hell yeah. But "splitting?" I can't get with that!

I have NEVER saw a "splitting" end on my hair. Ever! Now, I am not saying my hair is above damage because I get moe damage than the next sista. Just never saw a "splitting" hair and I just don't believe in them.

Your lucky cause I am one of those that get them alllllllllll the time. I have had almost every kind there is. Usually I just look at the end of my shedded hair and I'll see a tiny split, long split, tapered end... I've even had the kind that splits in the middle but the rest of the hair is in tact. Split ends suck a$$. :(

I voted yes..The split ends must go. I know it's hard to snip away, but once you do your head will be thanking you and will feel a whole lot better.

peacelove said:
To keep the hair healthy, I think it is a must because I think they lead to breakage and just don't look or feel good. Which is why I am now 2 inches shorter! Had I done it sooner, my trim would not have been so dramatic.

This is exactly what happened to me two weeks ago, but I had 3 inches taken off because my stylist, who cares so much about my MONEY..I mean hair, actually told me that she should have given me a trim over a year ago but didnt do it and said that you cant fix something that is already broken. My hair grows very quick but kept breaking so it didnt look like it was growing at all. Now my hair looks healthier because of the trim and I am on a search for a new stylist.:mad:

Here's my problem, whatever caused the original splits will cause new ones. You could potentially end up with the majority of your hairs split. Split ends don't hold a curl, they are bushy and unruly, rough, and tangled. Regular trimming (or dusting) will keep you head of new ones so you never end up with a head full.

Last edited:
rai said:
Hey Everyone,

Lately, there's been a lot of discussion about split ends. So I want to know is it <font color="red"> absolutely positively necessary </font> <font color="red"> </font> to cut them off??? I had extensions for about a year, and then I decided to cut off all the perm ends. So aight, I'm natural right, everything should be great, right? Nope. I decided to cut another 1.5 inch off because the ends were really rough (my fiancee thought I was going crazy). Now I have about 6 inches of hair, but I still have split ends. Not all of the strands are split, but I'm not going to lie, alot of them are. The problem is that the split ends are like 1-2 inches from the end of strands and I really don't want trim that much off. I know, I'm pitiful.
spank.gif

But honestly, do I really need to cut them off. Is there anything I can do to keep my hair healthy without taking off the split ends?
scratchchin.gif

I don't know why my ends are so split. Any ideas?

I sleep with a satin cap every night and I moisture with Healthy Ends about every other night. How can I prevent split ends?

I understand your confusion. I would say yes and no.

Sometimes less equals more. The hair can appear thicker, healthier and even longer in some cases from an expert trim however, I also understand the fear of having too much of your progress cut away. Care should be taken to cut away only the stragglers and not any of the length. You may not be able to get at all of your splits right away.

I found out that one culprit for my spilt ends was my car seat. It is made of a woven material that would always entangle my hair as I was driving. I covered it with a better more satin like cover.

I would also suggest after your trim use additional protien conditioning and moisterizing to strengthen the inner layers of the hair.

I haven't noticed any more splits after I changed that darn cover. :lol:

It's just for aesthetics. If you are one of those people who trims every 6 weeks, then your hair may never get past shoulder length. :ohwell:

Hi Rai..
Here's a very informative post that was started the other day..please read & then make you decision..I really hope this helps..it helped me alot..so much I bookmarked it so when I feel the need to trim I can refer back to it:)

I think split ends need to be cut! They will travel up the haoir stand and whild combing you will notices different lenghts breaking. THe hair will break where the spit has travel and eventually will just fall off. That's why you have different lenghts breaking when combing. The hair has actually broke off at the point where the spilt has traveled. Leaving the hair thin and damaged.

sareca said:
Here's my problem, whatever caused the original splits will cause new ones.

excellent point sereca

i think first you should focus on finding out exactly what's causing the splits, otherwise you will cut them and have the same problem a few months later

To me trimming split ends is absolutely necessary. One day I found a split that was about an inch up the hair shaft and that really scared me.

If you don't trim them soon they will continue to travel up the hair making it shorter and shorter.

If you are growing your hair then I think you should trim the spit ends and use products on your ends that help preven them.

Yes, IMO split ends should be cut if you care about the overall health and appearance of your hair.

IMO,a small split end will eventually turn into 2 inches of severe damage that will have to be cut off. I would much rather cut off 1/4 inch of split ends every 10 weeks than get to brastrap only to have to 3 inches cut off because of the damage.

Back