Is Heat necessary...

How often do you use heat when deep conditioning?

• Everytime!!!

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Sometimes, depends on the condition of my hair.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • Heat? Why would I do that?

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters

Dee-Licious

for deep conditioning.

I seem to never use heat, only a plastic cap. I was wondering am I not getting the full effects of deep conditioning?

Do I need to use heat?

Hi MsDanele1518, for deep conditionning I don't use heat, just a plastic cap (double plastic caps)!
I don't know as you are relaxed if it is necessary or not!...sorry I can't help you.

I'm 4b relaxed and haven't used heat in years, for anything! To deep condish, I use plastic cap and cover the cap with a towel (the towel REALLY traps the heat in side the plastic cap).

My hair has never been longer or healthier since I gave up heat . . .

I've always used heat...I thought it helped the conditioner penetrate better...but I don't know, that's just what I heard :look:, and sometimes the directions on the bottles of certain conditioners say to use heat.

No, you don't need heat. Often times, I just put the conditioner and a plastic cap on and then take a nap or do some housework for a few hours and I get the same results.

I use heat from the steamer, each time, i dont know what my hair would be like without it. I dont like going under the dryer with conditioner, it somehow feels like it drys it out too much. Try and research steamers as from my experience they are a good long term investment which is kind on the hair. It leaves my hair soft and bouncy.

Last edited:
I think when using heat (under the dryer) you get quicker results, as appose to leaving coond. in ya hair for hours at a time. Heat does lift the cuticle layers so that the conditioner can penetrate, that's why it's best to follow w/a cold rinse to close the cuticle trapping in the moisture. I also like to do the steam heat w/a hot towel under a plastic cap and I get the same results in 30 min not bad just 10-15 min. more than if I sit under a hooded dryer. But I don't have all day to wait for a conditioner to give me results so that better fits my lifestyle. Now I have slept w/cond. in my hair overnight but it just makes my hair feel coated and dry (and I used one of cholesterols at the time).

I choose heat, although in the past I have deep conditioned without the heat. Now, I always use the heat cap for 20-30 min and follow with a cool rinse, sometimes a acv rinse. I can tell a difference with the heat and staying consistent with deep conditioning. My hair is healthier and feels even softer. I also moisturize twice a day, so it could be the combination of the two:scratchch

I don't use heat per se. I do use a plastic cap plus a gold mylar cap and keep on a minimum of an hour. I wouldn't mind using steam heat or indirect heat from a warm towel, but dryer heat makes my hair dehydrated and negates the point of the deep treatment.

I used heat while conditioning, more when I was relaxed. Now, I don't do it. I think because I am so worn out by the time I wash, condition and detangle. I just don't feel like adding an extra step. Getting out the dryer and setting it up can be extra.

I think I will try it next time, just to see the difference with my natural hair.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think when using heat (under the dryer) you get quicker results, as appose to leaving coond. in ya hair for hours at a time. Heat does lift the cuticle layers so that the conditioner can penetrate, that's why it's best to follow w/a cold rinse to close the cuticle trapping in the moisture. I also like to do the steam heat w/a hot towel under a plastic cap and I get the same results in 30 min not bad just 10-15 min. more than if I sit under a hooded dryer. But I don't have all day to wait for a conditioner to give me results so that better fits my lifestyle. Now I have slept w/cond. in my hair overnight but it just makes my hair feel coated and dry (and I used one of cholesterols at the time).

i agree. i think a deep conditioner works best with heat. for me when i don't use heat with a conditioner it's like a waste of time. when my hairdresser put me under the dryer with the conditioner my hair felt so soft i couldn't stop touching it. then she started saying that it was too much heat and just let me sit with a warm towel and plastic cap, which did nothing for my hair. it wasn't nearly as soft as it was when i used heat.

Heat is the only way to truly DEEP condition. the heat opens your pores allowing the conditioner to seep in. i usually alternate between my heating cap and a hot towel/plastic cap. both ways work wonders and leaves my hair feeling healthy and very soft. 9 times out of 10-when a product says to leave in for at least 10-15min and use heat, it is in fact a good deep conditioner.

I like to deep condition with heat, but since this summer, it's been too hot to sit under a dryer. Since fall/winter is approaching, I'll start up again.

MsDanele1518 said:
for deep conditioning.

I seem to never use heat, only a plastic cap. I was wondering am I not getting the full effects of deep conditioning?

Do I need to use heat?
I voted for "everytime."

For me personally, I used to think it was the same. Then I added heat. My hair won't really get soft and or absorb the conditioner unless I use heat. But maybe because my hair is so coarse.

It seems if I don't use heat my conditioner just sits on top of my hair.:ohwell:

ETA: Those who fear/dislike heat you can also warm up your conditioner in a little cup/container in the microwave THEN apply it to your hair. But in my experience it still doesn't have the same affect as heat. But it does work better than no heat, in my experience that is.

Last edited:
My hair is afeared of heat...guaranteed splits. I will do an overnight DC with a cheap heat cap over the plastic one as a easy prewash thing.

I voted "every time" because I do believe some kind of heat is necessary...whether it's hooded dryere heat, conditioning cap heat, or body heat. I tend to prefer body heat at the moment.

Normally, I apply my conditioner, cover with plastic cap, tie a scarf on over that (or bandana) and go for my 2-3 mile run. It's only 20-30 minutes and then I get in the shower when I get back.

It depends on what you consider heat.

I thave one of those hair turbin things - I usually add my deep conditioner, take my hair turbin and rinse it with HOT water, ring it out and tie it around my hair.

So yea, it's heated (and its wet) - and I"m using heat to set my deep conditioning treatment... but its not blow dryer heat.

I rarely use heat when I DC.
Most of the time I just cover my hair with a plastic cap for 60+ mins., natural body heat is enough for me. :)

It really depends on the condition of my hair. If my hair is really dry or not looking / acting right then I deep condition with heat / plastic cap / hooded dryer for 45 minutes to an hour.

If hair is performing good, looking healthy and vibrant---which it has been for the last couple of months, then I just deep condition with a plastic cap no heat for like 30 to 45 minutes.

MizaniMami said:
I voted for "everytime."

For me personally, I used to think it was the same. Then I added heat. My hair won't really get soft and or absorb the conditioner unless I use heat. But maybe because my hair is so coarse.

It seems if I don't use heat my conditioner just sits on top of my hair.:ohwell:

ETA: Those who fear/dislike heat you can also warm up your conditioner in a little cup/container in the microwave THEN apply it to your hair. But in my experience it still doesn't have the same affect as heat. But it does work better than no heat, in my experience that is.

Ditto, since my hair was damaged prior to starting my hair journey....I deep condition weekly under a heating cap on low setting for 30 minutes..it has really helped my hair...deep conditioner on my hair without heat does nothing for my hair.

I don't use a blow dryer but I do use heat on occassion to deep condition. I put a towelin the microwave method, then put on a whole foods plastic grocery sack (hair hasn't started glowing so its all good;) Plus, I'm finding other uses for those darn bags and this is as good as any )

DC takes as little as 15 minutes using this method as opposed to using no heat at all.

-A

About 99% of the time I'll *warm* my conditioner in the microwave before applying to my hair. ((( if u do this, be careful cuz the conditioner will get HOT very quickly, and have hot spots!!)))

The other 1% I'll leave the conditioner on overnight.

I've always used heat to deep condition. I apply a plastic cap and then an electric heat cap. The moist heat is totally different from dryer heat in my opinion. My hair is much more moisturized with a heat cap than without.

I don't use external heat. I allow my body heat to do the work. I read in a black hair magazine that external heat sources actually dry your hair out when you deep condish.

I don't think its necessary. I think it just speeds up the process. ORS says to sit under the dryer for 15 mins or leave it on without heat for an hr (or something like that). I never used heat for mines until i finally got my bonnet dryer back from my friend. I usually just left it on over night with a plastic cap. Got the same results.

Back