Is hair dead or alive?

Avyn

I know this may seem like a stupid question! I was just wondering if the supplements I'm taking would affect the whole strand, or would it only affect the hair at the subcutaneous level. AND if I apply certain vitamins, oils, etc. to my hair would it affect the hair's make-up or just the outside appearance of the hair. I know some things are able to add strength, but would applying things topically have the same effect as taking them internally? If hair is dead once it leaves the scalp, then my supplements can only affect it before it grows out, right?

Ex. Drinking more water
Can drinking more water affect the whole strand of hair, or just the hair at the root level?

hmmmmm that's a good question...I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE....BUT I think that it is probably like a flower/tree....like if you do something to the outside of a leaf it will only affect the part you altered but the rest will grow and they will probably be different--even if the tip of the leaf falls off....BUT what you put in affects what comes out especially at the root level but not necessarily the rest of the hair; I think only what you put on topically matters there

Thats what I was wondering too.

I keep hearing testimonials on supplements like biotin and silica for strengthening their hair. Do they mean strengthening the hair they already have or that their new growth is stronger???

when its in your scalp its alive
as soon as its out its dead.

vitamins affect your hair while its in your scalp
if it was alive it would hurt like heck to cut your hair

Hair is dead, a waist product of the blood system. you can add product to make it absorb products, but the hair that grows out is the only part that will build from what you eat or take to build the hair strength.

I learned that hair is dead from Cathy Howse. Once it leaves the scalp it's dead. If hair were alive, it would be painful to cut it. I think supplements affect the strenght of the new hair that is about to come out of the scalp, but not the old hair. However, applying strenghtening products to the hair strand can strenghtening it.

Hair is dead, a waist product of the blood system. you can add product to make it absorb products, but the hair that grows out is the only part that will build from what you eat or take to build the hair strength.

This is why I laugh when some stylists say they need to trim off the dead ends of your hair...

Hair is akin to nails - as soon as its hanging off the nail bed and no longer supported by any connective tissue or fibers i.e. in this case your follicle its dead. This is why cutting hair is not painful but pulling it out at the root is.

UM: Now this has really made me think that when applying topical treatments and growth stimulants the root is really where its at.... :scratchchin:

That sucka is dead.

And the other one is a yes/no question.
It really depends on what effect you want to achieve with your hair.
Products for growth and shedding are best applied to the scalp or taken internally, where they can reach the living portions of the hair, either by being absorbed through the scalp or traveling the bloodstream.
But products for moisture, strength, and luster are best applied to the hair strands themselves, IMO.

And for the water thing...I don't even know.
I try to drink water, because it improves circulation. When you have more blood moving through the scalp, it brings in nutrients and clears out debris better, therefore optimizing scalp health, and hopefully growth rate.
But I know that some people say that water moisturizes their hair from the inside out, which I just don't buy. Hair isn't a hollow tube, so I don't know how the water is supposed to get from the scalp to the ends from the inside.

It is my assumption that hair are nothing more than dead cells. While "growing" in your scalp they are alive, but once they grow from the scalp they are no longer alive. It is still a good idea to get your ends trimmed however, because when the hair splits, it will continue to split upwards(gradually) until it reaches the root of the hair shaft. While the hair is splitting and going toward the scalp, the hair becomes weaker and more fragile. Once the split hair reaches the scalp and breaks off (due to weakness) then a new hair will take its place and start growing from that point. That's where all the thinning of the hair comes in - after so many split ends and breakage. In addition to getting your ends trimmed, you should also use essential oils for both your scalp and your hair to keep the scalp oiled and to minimize splitting. But you don't need to get your hair trimmed TOO often (I would say roughly every 4-6 weeks/depending on how fast your hair grows and how badly it needs to be trimmed). Also don't put TOO much oil on your scalp since your scalp already produces "Sebum" (natural oils) and you don't want to clog your scalp with too many oils. The purpose for using essential oils is to give your natural oils a little boost.

Anyway, YES the hair is dead, but due to splitting and dryness you need to take care of it topically in addition to getting your proper nutrition.

Last edited:
Back