How does drinking H20 effect moisture of hair? How much do you drink? Does it matter?

What effect does water have on the moisture level of our hair?

• It has kept my hair so moisturized, i barely need external treatments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: How does drinking H20 effect moisture of hair? How much do you drink? Does it mat

I don't think it makes a difference, and I don't believe the hype that you need to drink 64oz of water in a day. For a while I was drinking up to 70 oz and it made no difference in my hair, my scalp was still dry & itchy, my skin was no better. Now I am content to just drink water when I am thirsty. I just drink water with my meals instead of trying to gulp down 8 cups in a day and peeing every 10 minutes. :yep:

Snopes page on water

Re: How does drinking H20 effect moisture of hair? How much do you drink? Does it mat

For me, it makes no difference. I have to admit, I don't drink a lot generally, but I have had months, where I drank a lot of water, and my hair, scalp and skin (with exception of face) were still super-dry and sensitive. I have accepted the fact that my scalp and skin will always be dry, flaky and sensitive no matter what I do.
I do have to say that drinking lots of water makes my facial skin glow.

I've noticed more moisture. I drink about 70 ounces of water a day. So I do see it in my skin and hair. My hair tends to be overmoisturized at times and I have to go a few days without adding anything additional to my hair or it gets mushy.

I find that when I drink a lot of water, my hair's health is improved. My skin seem to benefit wayyy more but since my scalp is an extension of my skin, my hair benefits from ample water consumption as well. I think it's a combination of many things that is helping my hair to grow healthy, like adequate supplementation and eating more fruits, greens, veggies and ample wholesome healthy proteins and of course, exercise and proper hair care practices.

i wonder if its true. i would try it, but i only drink things when i'm eating, and i don't have time to be eatin like that all day.

I have a few thoughts about the benefits of drinking water.
Drinking water or anything for that matter, only when thirsty can lead to a recipe for disaster because by the time you are thirsty your body is already on it's way to dehydration. Now while people will say they have never been dehydrated, the important point to me is that your body is not achieving optimal performance, just ok, and if you can do better why not?

I have always consumed adequate amounts of water but last summer I decided to put the 8x8 to the test. I found that once I started making sure I was getting in my 64 oz I was able to tell the difference between thirst and what I previously perceived as hunger. Doing some research led me to find out many diets for losing weight discuss in length the importance of learning that difference and how we think we may know but we really don't simply because we believe thirst to be drastic, meaning we must be parched which goes back to what I wrote above. Personally I learned that between 2 and 3 liters a day without crazy exertion keeps my body humming along.

Skin, hair and body benefits for me were interesting. The summer can be a rough time on anyone but as many ladies have attested before me, my skin glowed and I don't use any facial creams or makeup so this was easily noticeable. My hair was in weave that I was too lazy to take down, wash or moisturize for many months. I won't frighten you with the actual amount of time but upon removing it my new growth was strong, relatively healthy and just in need of 1 deep condition to have normal moisture levels and shine. I did not have breakage from neglecting my own hair under the weave and when I did relax a week later my hair was fine as well. Of course there was quite a bit of new growth as well but I did not measure & I don't want to guess and be misleading. Also another effect that was wonderful especially in the summer, less need for moisturizers such as lotion and lip balm. To this day as long as I drink my 2 liters and up I can go a whole day without needing lip balm, let me slack on my water and I become the lip balm junkie I was before. Now I mostly use them for extra shine as I don't wear makeup and protection from the elements.

My tip for people who find it hard to drink that amount of water is get yourself a bottle that hold 1 liter. Put it at your desk at work. From the moment you get in until your lunch drink from it. It may take all day at first but soon you will be able to finish it before lunch. Refill and use for the second half of the day. By the time you leave you are sure you have gotten your 64 oz as the little cups from the water cooler barely hold 4 oz. Do the same thing at home, put it by your computer, you will soon see you reach for it often and may even start drinking more than 64 oz. I just never trust myself to remember how many glasses of water I drank and did I fill it up to an arbitrary line. This was my foolproof method.

Sorry for the long post, HTH, also I don't advocate not taking care of your hair under a weave because of drinking water, I was just describing my hair situation when I first started paying attention to my water intake.

i've been drinking close to 3l a day (i weigh alot lol) for quite some months. i notice it helps alot with weight/hunger management but for my hair i'm not so sure. my hair gets dry very easily but i dont give it the chance..maybe i'd notice if i stopped the water.

I don't notice a difference in my hair...it's always dry if I don't moisturize at least once a day. :ohwell:
I do notice a difference in my lips though. They're soft and don't get chapped when I'm fully hydrated. :yep:

ive drunk water all my life..only thing good it has done for me was for my skin and not so much of that.

I think it's another issue that boils down to genetics. I do, however, think that the people that don't drink a lot of water and don't notice a difference would still have marginally better moisturized hair if they did drink more water. It's an essential element and since most of our body is comprised of water we need to replenish the supply consistently.

I for one drink TONS of water, but I'm just thirsty all the time and paranoid that if I stop my vitamin regimen will backfire and cause me more harm than good (i.e. breakouts!).

I think that water helps with hair, skin & the body.When I don't drink a lot og water it shows in my hair, skin & body.

Back