Is Feria Haircolor REALLY that damaging???

Feria hair color on relaxed hair was the reason I found this board. It left my hair extremely spongy and dry and it took me around two years to nurse my hair back to health. Maybe the reformulated product is better. And I only went around two shades lighter.

Dang, with an opening line like that, I'm really scared :nono:. I was hoping since I want to go darker, it wouldn't be too bad.

I hope your hair is back on track :yep:.

i think it just really depends on the person. its the only color i use that doesnt leave my hair feeling like straw. iced mocha and hot toffe are my favorite. i haven't had any problems with it.

eta: i have fine relaxed strands as well :)

Last edited:
i think it just really depends on the person. its the only color i use that doesnt leave my hair feeling like straw. iced mocha and hot toffe are my favorite. i haven't had any problems with it.

eta: i have fine relaxed strands as well :)

Thank you for replying.

I previously had a bad experience with Revlon Colorsilk, which is ammonia free, but I had to get a haircut:perplexed. It dried my hair, terribly. But I've been reading that you can dilute hair color developer with distilled water. I believe Feria is 25% volume, so I can dilute it to 12.5% which would essentially bring it to demipermanent territory, which I have used successfully through the years.

hey girl sorry for the late response, it did give me a good blue-black look... back then i was really into black,black hair... its so hard because everyone is different...you could end up having a good experience with it... wish you the best...p.s i am now just doing black rinses, due to an allergy that i just developed to hair dye...who knew??:spinning:

hey girl sorry for the late response, it did give me a good blue-black look... back then i was really into black,black hair... its so hard because everyone is different...you could end up having a good experience with it... wish you the best...p.s i am now just doing black rinses, due to an allergy that i just developed to hair dye...who knew??:spinning:

I chickened out and got my usual, Natural Instincts in Midnight. I couldn't find the reformulated version of Feria. All the stores I visited, 5 total, had the older boxes :ohwell:. I guess that was a a sign....

I used Feria a few years ago... it didn't work for me... actually... I think coloring is best left to the professionals... I am a bit skeptical about all professional stylists as a rule... I'm very anti-stylist... pro DYI.... but in the case of coloring... find a bad a** stylist it's an investment but well worth the piece of mind you get... keeping the hair on your head and not suffering a setback.

I used Feria pre-LHCF a couple of years ago. I can't remember the names of the colours I used now but I tried a blue-black, a light auburny colour and a reddish plum colour - the last was my favourite. I've also used Garnier Nutrisse cream in the past as well. I never had any problems with using them and this was when I used to use heat on my hair EVERY morning with the straightening irons on the highest setting :perplexed... I used to see my hair stylist approx. every 10 days at this point as well (pre-motherhood!!) so that may have contributed to my hair being quite healthy enough to take the peroxide...

Funnily enough, I found that I used to get more intense colour with these brands than any other colourant and would get tons of compliments. My hair felt quite moisturized and was quite healthy.

I had good experiences with Feria at the time but now, I doubt I would use it again - not because I didn't like them but since learning so much since joining LHCF, I'm not sure I will use artificial colourants on my hair again.

I recently used Cassia in my hair and the results were fab -when I take these braids out I'm gonna try Henna (and maybe Indigo) for the 1st time and get back into the colouring thing...

Hope this helps..?

i used this exact shade of feria yesterday with great results on my natural hair. my hair still feels soft, moisturized & healthy & i love blue-black, shiny hair! :grin::grin::grin:i hannaed my hair a while ago & loved it, but I fell our of love with the brownish-red color. afterwards, i tried to go black with indigo, but it just came out darker brown:perplexed then i tried a black garnier nutrisse, which didn't take at all -- the henna just laughed at it. the blue-black feria gave me the rich, black color i was looking for.:yep: so i'm in hair heaven.:yep::yawn::grin:

I used Feria pre-LHCF a couple of years ago. I can't remember the names of the colours I used now but I tried a blue-black, a light auburny colour and a reddish plum colour - the last was my favourite. I've also used Garnier Nutrisse cream in the past as well. I never had any problems with using them and this was when I used to use heat on my hair EVERY morning with the straightening irons on the highest setting :perplexed... I used to see my hair stylist approx. every 10 days at this point as well (pre-motherhood!!) so that may have contributed to my hair being quite healthy enough to take the peroxide...

Funnily enough, I found that I used to get more intense colour with these brands than any other colourant and would get tons of compliments. My hair felt quite moisturized and was quite healthy.

I had good experiences with Feria at the time but now, I doubt I would use it again - not because I didn't like them but since learning so much since joining LHCF, I'm not sure I will use artificial colourants on my hair again.

I recently used Cassia in my hair and the results were fab -when I take these braids out I'm gonna try Henna (and maybe Indigo) for the 1st time and get back into the colouring thing...

Hope this helps..?

Thanks. It's so funny how Feria has such mixed reviews. But then again its an extremely popular product, so that always means lots of different opinions and experiences :yep:.

i used this exact shade of feria yesterday with great results on my natural hair. my hair still feels soft, moisturized & healthy & i love blue-black, shiny hair! :grin::grin::grin:i hannaed my hair a while ago & loved it, but I fell our of love with the brownish-red color. afterwards, i tried to go black with indigo, but it just came out darker brown:perplexed then i tried a black garnier nutrisse, which didn't take at all -- the henna just laughed at it. the blue-black feria gave me the rich, black color i was looking for.:yep: so i'm in hair heaven.:yep::yawn::grin:

Do you have any pics you'd care to share? I would love to see how your hair looks with this color :grin:.

I used that exact color and it was beautiful. I had a lot of problems with fading and because of the EXTREME fading, I kept retouching it which led to dry, brittle hair. I even called the company to see why is was fading so much. Recommended it to my girlfriend and it faded just as quick, and her hair broke like crazy.

I have a couple pics on fotki in the first album.

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you know if Aveda has a blue black color? Why do you like it so much?

sorry so late!
i didn't subscribe to this
i see u found something else already
so i hope it works out well :yep:
ita w/ the others that say it depends on ur hair condition

i love aveda b/c it doesn't dry out my hair nor does it change the texture
they also use great ingredients that are more natural
i've been using aveda hair color for 5 years
it gives me the dimension u speak of
i like how it changes as it grows out
and i get tons of compliments on the color:grin:
i don't like stylists either but i love the job this stylist does w/ my color
and it's very affordable ($50 every 4-6 months) so it's worth it :yep:

sorry so late!
i didn't subscribe to this
i see u found something else already
so i hope it works out well :yep:
ita w/ the others that say it depends on ur hair condition

i love aveda b/c it doesn't dry out my hair nor does it change the texture
they also use great ingredients that are more natural
i've been using aveda hair color for 5 years
it gives me the dimension u speak of
i like how it changes as it grows out
and i get tons of compliments on the color:grin:
i don't like stylists either but i love the job this stylist does w/ my color
and it's very affordable ($50 every 4-6 months) so it's worth it :yep:

I've been hearing a lot about Aveda color, so I may have to look into it. Thanks, again.

I've used Feria twice, and both times it dried my hair out completely and broke it off. I'll never use it again!

Good evening, Ladies

I REALLY want to color my hair "blue black", with Loreal Feria permanent color, "Starry Night" :lick:. Whenever I'm in the hair color aisle, I look at that box....lustfully, lol. I have searched this board endlessly for reviews, and they are very scarce. The few that I find are 90% negative, though :wallbash:.

I should add that most reviews are old, like 2003-2005, so I really haven't found more current reviews from ladies who have used this product. In reviewing the Loreal website, it states that Feria has been reformulated to be more hydrating :yep:. If anyone has had experience with Feria color, PLEASE respond, whether your results were good or bad. I appreciate any feedback I receive!

BTW, my hair is fine, relaxed, and color treated (black) with a demi (Natural Instincts) every 3-4 months. D/C and chi flat iron weekly.

This is the box:

TIA!!!

I've actually used that Feria color before (Starry Night). I think I also colored my hair a light brown or a honey blond using Feria. I personally will not use Feria ever again, but I must also add I was dyeing my hair w/ Feria before I had good hair care practices :ohwell:.

YET...lol...Feria is VERY drying, so if you're going to do Starry Night, make sure you have an excellent plan for how to condition and baby your hair so that it doesn't break off or get crazy dry.

I would just leave it alone and stick with a demi/semi permanent color, but if you're really set on the permanent Feria, just be careful :yep:.

i used feria (starry night) and it acted more like a rinse than a permanent color.... it was great for a week though...

my standby is the dark and lovely blue black...

my only real problem with dyes is the fact that none of them last longer than a month for me... my hair (root to tip) always returns to brown and red... :sad:

I tried Feria and it was horrible for me. I did go lighter so that may have been the reason, but I would NEVER use it again. My hair was so dry and brittle. It was a mess. By the way I'm natural, so I thought that I would be good, but that was not the case.

WOW, so many bad experiences!

I called the Feria hotline and the L'oreal representative stated that with the new Feria formula, they lowered the colorant, thereby lowering the ammonia amount. The colorant was previously 2oz, it is now 1.25oz. You add that to the new 3oz of developer (was formerly 2oz). My stylist confirmed that you can 'dilute' developer with equal parts of distilled water :look:. If I decide to use Feria, I will try that route. The representative also stated that the developer is 25% volume, so I can dilute it to 12.5%. :yep:

Thank you, all, for your input. I appreciate it :)

Back