Is Egg & Mayo Really Protein For Hair?

MizzBrit

i remember someone saying that the protein in the egg/mayo treatment isn't the same kind of protein that bonds into your hair. anyone know is this true?
i want to know before i waste an egg and some mayo:ohwell:
what kinda of protein is egg/mayo anyway?

Yes...egg and mayo (which has egg in it by definition) are legit and traditional protein treatments. Egg is PURE PROTEIN, so if you want it as hardcore as you can easily get, egg is the way to go. Bottled products simply give you a less messy way to use protein, but egg and mayo ARE no joke proteins.

I have done a pure egg and mayo protein treatment in my early days and it is very strong! This is how I discovered that I had to take it easy with protein products

Jamaraa is right! they ARE no joke proteins

So you wouldnt be wasting an egg :) if your hair does well with protien im sure u may like it...but if your protein sensitive take it easy!

I did an egg treatment today. I mixed the eggs with avocado fruit, mustard oil, and a bit of water in a blender. I poured it in an emptied aussie moist bottle, I didn't clean the bottle because I was trying to use as much of the condish as I could. Here are a few vids on youtube to help you., Just remember to rinse with lukewarm to cool water because hot water will cook the egg in your hair:

Traycee egg video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwHlqk_Xk0
Macherieamor egg video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXhJPoF43w

Actually I use egg/real mayo (oil and eggs as first ingredients, not vinegar)/evoo/evco for my deep condish. It always makes my hair feel better. If I add egg, I always add oil to prevent my hair from getting hard. I do a light shampoo first to get off the surface dirt so the mix can really penetrate my hair. It's worth a try!

Last edited:
I'm always slightly doubtful about research that always indicates that a more expensive solution is the better one. It's never the other way around.

I'd suggest that you try it for yourself and judge that way.

One thing to consider...an egg has around 1 gram of protein.

I'm always slightly doubtful about research that always indicates that a more expensive solution is the better one. It's never the other way around.

I'd suggest that you try it for yourself and judge that way.

One thing to consider...an egg has around 1 gram of protein.

I understand where you are coming from but how do you judge though? I know most people judge by how the hair feels, but when I do treatments, whether moisturizing or protein, the nice or strong etc. feeling is temporary and once my hair dries, it goes back to feeling how it did before. That's why I look towards scientific explanations, that way, I know regardless of how my hair feels, the product is doing what it's meant to do.

BTW, I heard Gelatin is a form of hydrolyzed protein (which is said to be useful as a hair protein treatment) and that's a cheap option.

ETA: I've done egg protein treatments in the past but I always wondered if they were doing anything for my hair.

Last edited:
^^^I do an egg conditioning treatment every other week. After the first time I used the egg treatment my shedding dramatically decreased. I used to lose a handful of hair everyday. Now I lose 1/5 of that. So that's how I know it works for me. My hair feels stronger and acts stronger.

I mix whole fat yogurt, egg and oils so maybe the yogurt is helping too.

I met one of my moms classmates from grade school and junior high. She said my mom and her sisters(4bs-C's) had the longest ,thickest hair in the neighborhood. I asked my mom about it. She said my grandfather would put an egg in their hair about once a month. Now keep in mind they had other good hair care practices as well( My grandfather was a beautician)but the egg was supposed to strengthen hair.
Well I ran out of Aphogee 2min. so last night I used mayo,egg,and oil...when I rinsed my hair it was very hard but I had already had my Aussie 3 min. miracle waiting...I had to use it twice- 3 min...each time. But when I was done my hair was perfectly fine and felt stronger yet nice and soft!
The only thing I may try differently next time I do this is to use the egg in a MOISTURIZING conditioner instead of the Mayo and still follow up with my Aussie...as my understanding is that Mayo already has some protein in it.

I understand where you are coming from but how do you judge though? I know most people judge by how the hair feels, but when I do treatments, whether moisturizing or protein, the nice or strong etc. feeling is temporary and once my hair dries, it goes back to feeling how it did before. That's why I look towards scientific explanations, that way, I know regardless of how my hair feels, the product is doing what it's meant to do.

I agree with the temporary factor....Isn't the difference between an Aphogee 2-step treatment & egg treatment that the former penetrates and the latter just coats the outer layer of the strand? If so, aren't the benefits of the egg protein treatment removed by the next wash day? :ohwell:

Last edited:
Good question OP, I used to do egg pre-poos every time I washed my hair didn't' shed and was really strong. I use aphogee 2 step now and follow up with keratin 2 minute then a thick moisturizing deep conditioner, under heat cap. My hair is stronger and alittle hard after the 2 step but that's why I have the moisture DC to follow up each time.
I can say that personally the eggs do last longer than next wash day, I don't think using aphogee is any less messy than real eggs and there much cheaper I should rethink buying that product :rolleyes:

I can judge because I've used both methods. I don't need much protein so an egg'll do me when I don't have the other stuff (Aphogee).

All of these treatments are temporary folks. If you wanna buy the Aphogee, do it...if you wanna try the egg, try it! :grin:

I do regular egg treatments and my hair has benefited.

Just because a substance does not penetrate the shaft, it doesn't mean its not beneficial. In fact a lot of products out there have proteins that don't penetrate at all. They just don't tell you that.

Eggs also have lechitin(did I spell that right?) in them, which is suppose to be good for the hair. I lot of conditioners have lechitin in them. If that word is spelled wrong please forgive me!!!

Back