is deep conditionning à myth ??

coolsista-paris

i came across this text on à website or blog (dont remember).

im starting to have dougts on this.what do you think?
dc can be short or must be left on hair long time in order to work??

link :

http://www.longhairdontcare.net/lon...heres-no-such-thing-as-deep-conditioning.html
---------------------

Could deep conditioning be a myth?
Written by JC of*The Natural Hair Haven

I was watching QVC (uh huh), when a trichologist (hair scientist) was asked about leaving a*conditioner*in hair for longer for more of an effect and his reply was, 'It is formulated to get to maximum potential in 5 minutes. You can leave it on for longer but not for added effect. ' At that point I really began to wonder why is it that my*hairdresser*at the time always recommended deep conditioning for 20 minutes at least once a week? Is it pointless?
In my search for an answer I came across a post on*thebeautybrains.com
*which contained a letter from a trichologist Barry J Stevens who described deep conditioning as 'wishful thinking' . I don't really know the authenticity of this letter but it made me even more interested to find out the fact from fiction.
First step,*what really happens when you condition your hair?*If you use*shampoo, then what you first do is remove excess oils and grease from your hair leaving you with a clean shaft. What DOES NOT happen is 'opening of the cuticle'. I thought I should draw some of this out, just incase people's eyes start glazing over.

What can open up the cuticle?*Commonly, chemical processing of hair such as relaxing or colour rely on alkaline products and these CAN open up the cuticle. Your average shampoo does not have the ability to do this. They are mostly mildly acidic to neutral (around pH 6-7 though 8 is considered ok) because*cosmetic*scientists need to consider that the shampoo can end up in your eyes, face and mouth, so it is safer to be close to neutral. See this site for some*pH ranges
*of shampoo. Lisa Akbari also*advertises*a shampoo at pH 5. The pH of hair and skin is a range between 4.5 to 5.5.
Therefore, if your hair is natural, you most likely have a closed cuticle as has been seen scientifically (Khumalo*et al, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2000, pp 814-820).
This leads to the question,*if the cuticle is closed then what can really get in?*Well two things can,*water and some oils.*

What kind of oil can get into the hair cortex?*The complex answer is many different oils to varying degrees. The simple answer is*coconut oil*and*olive oil*have been shown to penetrate hair quite well (Hornby*et al, Int Journal of cosmetic science 2005 pg299-300).*This now leaves the question,*what exactly is the purpose of conditioner?*Well most conditioners do just work on the outside. They soften the hair, help smooth the cuticle, minimize static, sometimes help the water stay in the cortex. When rinsed off they do leave some conditioning agents behind which keep the hair feeling soft.

So why do so many people say that deep conditioning is good? Well maybe they just have a better procedure and can get more out of it.*1. Make sure you have sufficient water, make sure you wet your hair properly and make sure your chosen conditioner has*coconut oil*or*olive oil. If it doesn't, consider adding a teaspoon or so to it (portion out the part you are going to use and add the oil to that, do not put it into the main container).*2. Concentrate on applying the conditioner very well so as to cover your*all your hair. Don't plop the conditioner onto the middle of your head, back and sides. Take your time, part the hair and apply to small sections.*3.*Do you need heat?*It takes 15 min for hair to get saturated in pure water while steam takes 18 hours or more (Robbins, Chemical and Physical Behaviour of Human Hair, Springer). Water directly on your hair through wetting is probably more useful than steam or vapour.*4.*Should you leave it on for longer?*Well you can do so if you want to, but if you leave it just for the stipulated time, then you don't need to worry too much.-

I never get good results from letting DC set on my hair for the 'reccomended time'. Some people's hair takes longer to accept moisture (like mine) so I find that leaving it on longer FORCES my hair to take the extra moisture. If I just put it on wait 5 minutes and then take it off no real nourishing has been done. Plus there are things to can do you help open up the cuticle of the hair (like rinse in hot water) even if its just a tiny bit.

I think the scientists may only be testing one type of hair and not ALL types of hair...like probably like normal white people type 1 strands and the variations within that.

I am low porosity so that means my hair takes way longer to accept moisture than other types, which makes sense for me to DC longer. I dont know too much about the science of hair but...Scientists often do make the mistake of not adding in ethic variables and I know from see'ing it around here that some women (like me) really benefit from longer DC's.

All in all I think it really depends on your hair type. Whether you are high, normal or low porosity, how thick is is etcetcect

Last edited:
the whole point of deep conditioning is to incorporate heat whether its a steamer, hair dryer or the greenhouse method so that it softens the hair and penetrates better. whether i dc before washing ( pre-poo) or do so after it makes a difference for my hair. if dcs didn't work then hardcore protein treatments wouldn't be effective and they are. i dc for an hour or less with heat and more with the greenhouse method.

i agree with the poster about hair type, density, porosity, and thickness. curly hair tends to be dryer than straight hair and the sebum can easily coat strands to the ends.

Last edited:
If i dont leave a dc on overnight i see no differencce in my hair. In addition the longer i leave conditioner on my lace wigs, which are virgin indian the better and softer they feel even though, I can do a 5 min treatment and be fine.

There probably is a certain amount that the hair can absorb but i dont think 5 or even 20 mins is long enough for it to fully take in. At least not for my hair...

All I know is when I leave the conditioner longer or apply heat, I get better results. So it is not a myth to me. When I was in cosmetology school, we were told leaving the conditioner for longer than recommended don't provide any extra benefits. Obviously I didn't listen.

I wouldn't even waste my time for 5 minutes. If I thought I could get it to work in 5 minutes I would. But I've never seen any results if I left it on for less than 20. And I don't think I see any additional results if I left it on for more than 30.

Leaving it on my hair for more than 1 hour is a waste.

I do think conditioners give instructions for one type of hair.

Someone posted this article last year, and I think the majority felt that they needed more than 5 minutes. There were a few that could do 5 minutes or go without. I think its just rare for black hair.

They "Real" Myth is folks trying to use an Instant/Rinse-Out or Cream Rinse as a Deep Conditioner.:lol:

No matter how much honey, oil(s), molasses, etc....you add to an instant, it will never become a DC'er.:ohwell:

The Molecular structure is totally different. The true DC'ers molecular structure is small and penetrate more readily.

That's why most say either use with heat or leave on any where from 20 minutes to 1 hour.

Also, many are described as: Deep Treatment, Intensive, Penetrating etc.......

They "Real" Myth is folks trying to use an Instant/Rinse-Out or Cream Rinse as a Deep Conditioner.:lol:

No matter how much honey, oil(s), molasses, etc....you add to an instant, it will never become a DC'er.:ohwell:

The Molecular structure is totally different. The true DC'ers molecular structure is small and penetrate more readily.

That's why most say either use with heat or leave on any where from 20 minutes to 1 hour.

Also, many are described as: Deep Treatment, Intensive, Penetrating etc.......

OMG thank you!!! I read someone was using White Rain and V05 to DC. Chile no! Just cuz you got it on under the dryer and your hair feels smooth when you rinse, doesn't mean it's deep. It's even more temporary than regular DCs!

When I'm in a rush I will leave the conditioner on for the recommended time and my hair will not have the soft and suppleness that it will always have leaving the conditioner on for an hour. I usually have to re-deep condition once I get free time when this happens.

I don't think DC is a myth. I am certain my hair would not be the length and condition it is w/o my weekly DC. Like many of you, my hair receives more moisture if DC is left for at least 1 hr. I like to leave in for 3-24 hrs depending the condition of my hair.

PS - For those who are wondering prepooing IMO is not a myth either.

Interesting, although I do feel that when I deep condition with certain conditioners I feel that my hair has benefited and really that's all that matters to me

When i wasn't DC'ing my hair was a hot brittle mess...now that im DC'ing my hair is growing aka "retaining" and doing MUCH better....im sure if i had silky hair a 5 minute conditon would be just fine...but for this kinky 4b hair...30 minute DC w/ heat it has to be

I haven't DC'd my hair in over 6 months due to lack of time, patience, and most of all energy (don't judge me, I'm 6 months preggo :look: ) and my hair has truly suffered for it.

When I dc with heat and maybe some added oils etc if I'm in the mood, my hair strands feel "plumper" if that makes sense.

My hair is softer, detangles faster, is more manageable, and will hold a style longer when I dc. I know the moisture is infused.

I can't do the whole "let sit for 3 minutes and rinse" thing. That's like pouring conditioner down the drain for me.

For me the purpose of DCing is to help my hair detangle without breakage and to recondition my hair after protein, henna or any other treatment. The max I leave it on is 30 minutes (longer if I'm caught up doing something else). 5 minutes never softened my hair enough to detangle it.

I think the trichologist's rationale comes from the fact that just leaving a conditioner in your hair for extended time or going under a dryer with it does not turn it into a deep conditioner. Some products are formulated to work in 5 minutes and they won't do anything extra after that like the trichologists said.

I have for a long time, on this board as well as other outside of LHCF, heard people refer to any conditioner used with heat as a DC and that's just not the case. You can't take V05 and sit under a dryer with it and all of a sudden it's a deep conditioner. :nono:

I do believe in the benefits of extended conditioning with certain products and even conditioning with heat, especially products with moisturizing ingredients, oils, butters, etc. But these aren't necessarily deep conditioners.

The technical definition of deep conditioning involves protein components, because these are the components of conditioners that are small enough to penetrate deeply into hair. This does not necessarily mean with a protein conditioner though. Any treatment-type conditioner that also has protein ingredients can probably serve as a deep conditioner.

Whether DC is better if it's left on for a specific time, I don't know but I do know that I'm lazy so I tend to sleep in my conditioner and wash it out the following day. I have not experienced any ill effects from doing this. I deep conditioned because they say it's the thing to do. I don't know how much my hair has beneffited from it.

I have found DCing with a heating cap, steamer or with body heat for 30 mins to an hour works great for me. I don't need to leave it on any longer. Overnight DCing has led to nothing but problems for me so I will never do it again.

I'm sitting here with a head full of d/c and a plastic cap, a scarf, and a knit hat that I've had on since 3:30 this afternoon.

D/Cing works wonders for my hair if I do it for a few hrs once a week.

I, now, have to do weekly alternating of moisturizing d/c and protein d/c to make life easier vs twice a week. "A'int nobody got time for that."

But I do have to say, when I do my protein d/c I add an egg and olive oil to the conditioner and it helps to soften also with the protein.

But I need to d/c once a week or this newly relaxed hair will dry up and fall clean off my head.

thanks for sharing your answers.

Imm kinda mixed up after reading a few of your threads.
I usually use apoghee 2min reconstructor that works great for me. I leave it on for at least an hour. (or 30 minites with heat) or overnight (yup ive had no problems + i have fine hair, it likes protein).

Does this mean i have not been deep conditionning??? I have gone to stores looking for dc that say "leave in for 20 min or under heat" but found nothing and too lazy to read all of those bottles.

The apoghee 2 min work great for me. Does thing mean i need to find another real dc?

I tested that theory yesterday. I did the no heat condish & my hair wasn't soft. Not until I sat under the dryer for 30mn was my hair soft. I was surprised.

Fr me personally, DC'ing works. My hair is soft and moist after steaming in my DC for at least 30 mins.

I stopped DC a year ago and I see absolutely no difference in retention or manageability. I was just wasting lots of time and money, SMH. I don't DC my daughters either, and their hair is very long (my avatar is my DD, siggy is me)

I'm not the only one, either. IIRC, FlowerHair doesn't DC. Neither does Ballerina1 from YT and she's Classic Length.

I only deep condition for the benefit of my scalp. I've never deep conditioned without heat before because I follow the directions on the given conditioner, but my rinse out conditioner gives my hair the same effect as a deep conditioner but without the benefit of a moisturized scalp. I've seen women on here say that they don't put conditioner on their scalp because it causes flakes/buildup/aggitation, but I use all natural ingredients in my hair care and I don't have that problem. The nutrients sink into my scalp under the dryer once, maybe twice, a week and it helps me to keep everything balanced.

some people are lucky. Like you sipp100 you and your dd have pretty hair and retain even without dc'ing.

i wish i can stay without dc...im lazy when it comes to hair.

I stopped DC a year ago and I see absolutely no difference in retention or manageability. I was just wasting lots of time and money, SMH. I don't DC my daughters either, and their hair is very long (my avatar is my DD, siggy is me)

I'm not the only one, either. IIRC, FlowerHair doesn't DC. Neither does Ballerina1 from YT and she's Classic Length.

Me neither!

I just wash, condition and seal with coconut grease, yep grease. My hair stays moist for a week, detangles well and I don't need to use any other product for the remainder of the week. I do think it depends on the quality of your products too. I use organic products aside for my cholestorl conditioner from Lekair. Good products and sealing in moisture works well in my experience.

I once tried dc-ing with a moisturizing conditioner overnight. The next day my hair was waaaaay too soft and "stretchy" and felt like it would easily snap while detangling. My hair was too moisturized because I'd left it in for so long; so time does have an effect on your dc results. You could leave it in too long our not long enough...

Last edited:
:gorgeous:On LHCF my hair is just ok, but it is longer and in better condition than all the tricologist I know. Most of them have short stylist cuts or dreads, so that advice makes sense for those styles.

I, on the other hand, have long healthy thick natural 4 hair. I grow my hair without weave, braid extension or dreads. Whenever I wear my hair out, my weaved up neighbors say they would go natural if their hair could look like mine because of the condition/shine of my hair.

We all need to look at our hair goals and do accordingly, I dc, but if someone prefers not to, it is their hair.

Back