Is Deep Conditioning MANDATORY (???)

Poohbear said:
Do you personally think it's mandatory to deep condition (with or without heat) your hair? Why?

If you don't deep condition your hair or know someone that doesn't...

1. how's the condition of your/her hair?
2. how long is your/her hair?
3. why do you go without conditioning your hair?

:scratchch ...just wondering...mainly b/c before I joined the forum, I never deep conditioned in my life and my hair still thrived! :weird:

My quick answer is yes.

The reasons:

Deep conditioning provides penetration of the conditioner into the hair shaft IMO. After a deep conditioning treatment of 30-60 minutes my hair is usually very soft and easy to manage.

An example:

When I had my braids in my hair didn't get deep conditioned for 14 weeks. My hair is usually very soft even the new growth. For about 3 months I was applying leave in conditioners, namely Infusium23 and braid sprays. Because my hair wasn't deep conditioned for 14 weeks (I deep condition every week usually with heat under a steamer or hood dryer) my hair is now very dry and coarse feeling and I mean bone dry. Also note that I shampooed every week (I don't think that was a good idea for my hair) especially as I wasn't deep conditioning.

For deep conditioning I especially like mayonnaise conditioners (ORS Hair Mayo) or cholesterols (Le Kair, tub or bottle) or anything moisturising (I have Nexxus) or I just use oils (eg Dabur Vatika).

My hair is responding better with weekly deep conditioning after the braids.

So, Poohbear I hope this helps to answer your question(s).

I think if you have dry hair it is important. My hair has its phases and when the winter comes, my hair gets dry and needs a deep condition. In the summer, my hair is not dry and stays moisturized, so I don't deep condtion. Just depends on my hair's mood.

I deep condition at least once a week and my hair is thriving! I notice a big difference. The key is to use a good quality conditioner with good ingredients. It's really worth spending the extra $$$$. GPB is a very good product.

Back