Is Ceramic Really Less Damaging?

bajanplums1

Is there any proof of this? Or is it just a marketing scheme because sales of curling and flat irons to consumers became stagnant? Also, do hair salons now use ceramic?

I think all styling tools are can be damaging. Maybe ceramic flat irons are less damaging than others on the market.

The last salon I went to used kentucky maid styling tools. They only use the stove.....which is probably more damaging than the ceramic tools.

Last edited:
I have noticed at the Dominican salons they use plug-in curling irons and flat irons (ceramic) and the only time i see them use the barrel irons is on super kinky hair. Plus when I watched the Rollersetting video in one of the threads you can see at the salon stations they used plug-in irons as well not sure if there ceramic or not. But I think there even safer that barrel irons, especially if you have no experience w/the barrel irons.

I sure hope so. Even my ceramic plated (i didnt know the difference between that and real ceramic) irons and curlers appear to be less damaging. My hair has never gotten stuck to a ceramic heating tool and I can remember that happening often when I used to use metal curlers.

Cermanic irons are still damaging, the difference is that the heating is more even across the ceramic plate... thus you don't have hotspots.

With a traditional iron parts of the plate maybe a little hotter than others, but you may not know it. So.... while you crank up the heat to warm those parts of the iron that aren't as hot, the hotspot is getting hotter also. When you flat-iron the hair touched by the hotspot get hotter and more damage than the hair heated by the other parts of the plate.

From my own experience, I have gotten less damage using ceramic...and my hair doesn't feel as fried and dried after using it...like it did when I was using my other irons. My hair tends to feel silkier and moister. That having been said... I'll admit its probably a combination of the iron and the fact that I don't use that kind of heat often any more. I used to do it once a week, now I go months without it.

Heat is heat imo, however, like a lot of the other ladies I find the ceramic flat iron doesn't dry my hair out at opposed to non-ceramic tools.

I don't think any heat is good for the hair, so I look at ceramic irons as being the lesser of two evils. I agree about the hotspots and the fact that they leave my hair feeling less dry than regular heating tools.

Okay first Cincy, I am mad at your avatar, LOL ((reping tha booty hopin broad))... Additionally, I agree with you, I think myt ceramic leaves my hair with more body and shie...
Cincysweetie said:
I don't think any heat is good for the hair, so I look at ceramic irons as being the lesser of two evils. I agree about the hotspots and the fact that they leave my hair feeling less dry than regular heating tools.

I have to admit that when I started using a ceramic curling iron my came out more silky and less dried out. I liked the results so much that I wanted a ceramic flat iron, too. (Had to wait for a good sale at Sally. :sekret: ) My last hairstylist switched to ceramic irons and she asked me if I had switched too.

I know heat is bad, but like some of the other ladies said the difference is the even heating of the surface.

Use responsibly. :grin:

The cramic iron makes my hair feel silky too. I wanted to add that I never apply any iron on my ends. I would go down the hairshaft and stop at the ends because I am so paranoid :lol:

Anky is that you in your avatar?

Girl, your hair is doing well...I can't wait to get where you are.

Ceramics just distribute heat better than other types. I think this consistent heat helps prevent scorching, IF the heat isn't extremely high. This is my theory atleast. I have a chi iron that supposedly gets up to 450 degrees, no control dial. My hair hasn't been damaged in the 2 years I've had it...:ohwell:

The last time I flat ironed my hair was around Thanksgiving and I used a stove and a marcel flat iron and my hair turned out smooth and silky. It was the first time I had used Silcon Mix conditioner and I also used Fanstasia Straightening Serum so those might have contributed to it but I have a ceramic flat iron and I get good results with it as well.

Ceramic works best for me but with the addition of Tourmaline they work even better IMHO. If I "super hydrate" my hair with good deep conditioning and then late on apply a tiny bit of Aveda Humectanton my hair my results with the T3 are even better. I love the fact they seal in moisture which why I believe every one's hair looks and feels better with ceramic.

i have a regular flat iron and a ceramic one that i purchased around thanksgiving and i have to agree with the other ladies- the ceramic makes my hair feel smoother/silkier/less dry and i can use it with more ease than the other one.

I think ceramics are definitely less damaging. Since I've been going to the dominican salons and reating my hair at home, even though they flat iron it my hair is healthier then it's ever been :yep:

Back