• Yes

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

Hey Ladies,

I have a quick question, is bunning just as affective as baggying?

I have been partying my hair into four sections (after my co-wash which is every 1-3 days), applying conditioner and sealing with vaseline, and putting four buns in my hair but I do not put the bag over my ends. Everyday I apply more conditioner and vaseline. Is this method just as affective as baggying? I would not mind doing the baggy method but I don't want to walk around with four phony ponies in my hair. What do you ladies think?

I voted no because while bunning protects your hair, baggying protects AND moisturizes. And I'm crackin up at the thought of someone wearing 4 phony ponies :D Maybe you could wear a wig or a fall (?)

While buns are effective for most folks, IMO, baggying serves a different purpose. Buns will protect the ends from environmental stress, but baggying will maintain a certain moisture level that simply bunning will not.

Some ladies baggy during the day, but many baggy at night...have you considered doing that?

As a sidenote, I know everyone's hair is different so if what you're doing isn't broke, don't fix it. It sounds like applying condish and petroleum jelly every day would be overkill though. JMO

HTH
{DI}

Thanks Ladies ;),

Divine Inspiration I am going to start baggying at night and overnight, do you think that would work? also what do you mean it would be over kill for me to apply conditioner and vaseline daily? Is that doing too much? I wash my hair 1-2 times a week and cowash once every 1-3 days. See thats why I always ask questions. I am always willing to learn new things especially when it comes to hair care. I have only tried the conditioner and vaseline for two days and I am not having any problems yet. But if it can become bad for my hair then I will try other products. Any recommendations?

sweetcoco said:
OKAY, CAN ANY OTHER LADIES HELP A LHCF SISTA OUT :look: ?

Bunning and baggying do serve two differ (but similiar) purposes. Bunning protects ends from the stress of the day like wind, cold, getting caught on things, touching, and rubbing. The moisture that we put on our hair when worn in a bun (without baggy) will mostly evaporate during the day.

Baggying holds in almost all of the moisture that is put on the hair. It has the added benefit of protecting the ends, but that is not it's main purpose. It's like super bunning. You get all the benefits of bunning, plus all day/all night moisture. There are some ladies who can not bun due to lenght restrictions, but they can still baggy at night by using a processing/shower cap.

I don't know if the conditioner and vaseline are overkill, but when you moisturise it is good to use a sealer. Vaseline and castor oil are my sealing oils of choice when I baggy, but when I bun I use something lighter like jojoba, castor alone, avocado, or hot six. HTH:)

ETA: I voted no, because baggying serves both purposes; protection and holding moisture.

Last edited:
sweetcoco said:
Hey Ladies,

I have a quick question, is bunning just as affective as baggying?

I have been partying my hair into four sections (after my co-wash which is every 1-3 days), applying conditioner and sealing with vaseline, and putting four buns in my hair but I do not put the bag over my ends. Everyday I apply more conditioner and vaseline. Is this method just as affective as baggying? I would not mind doing the baggy method but I don't want to walk around with four phony ponies in my hair. What do you ladies think?

SweetCoco,....Congratulations on your little sleepy eyed bundle of joy to your life. Treat your baby well, make your progeny the project of your life and a joy to the world.
I voted no in the poll because while they are both beneficial to hair health and growth; bunning protects while the baggy method helps with moisture and health. I do both; the baggy for me is an occasional way to retain moisture while the bun/french roll is a daily style to protect my ends and length.

I agree with the other ladies, baggying is for moisture. Bunning is a protective style and I will admit I wear a sock bun almost every day(for the last six months). My hair has made great improvements. But I am sure if I baggied at night i would have double the results, my ends get dehydrated easy:(

I AGREE WITH THE LADIES AS WELL. BAGGYING HAS DEF. BEEN MORE EFFECTIVE TO ME THAN BUNNING WAS. WHILE BUNNING PROTECTED MY ENDS, IT NEVER GAVE MY HAIR THE MOISTURE I NEEDED, AND THAT WAS MY DOWNFALL. I WAS BUNNING BUT MY ENDS WERE DRY . BUT ONCE I INTRODUCED MY HAIR TO BAGGYING MY HAIR HAS THRIVED EVER SINCE, I DONT KNOW WHERE I'D BE WITHOUT IT RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE ITS THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO RETAIN MOISTURE:)

GoldenBreeze said:
Bunning and baggying do serve two differ (but similiar) purposes. Bunning protects ends from the stress of the day like wind, cold, getting caught on things, touching, and rubbing. The moisture that we put on our hair when worn in a bun (without baggy) will mostly evaporate during the day.

Baggying holds in almost all of the moisture that is put on the hair. It has the added benefit of protecting the ends, but that is not it's main purpose. It's like super bunning. You get all the benefits of bunning, plus all day/all night moisture. There are some ladies who can not bun due to lenght restrictions, but they can still baggy at night by using a processing/shower cap.

I don't know if the conditioner and vaseline are overkill, but when you moisturise it is good to use a sealer. Vaseline and castor oil are my sealing oils of choice when I baggy, but when I bun I use something lighter like jojoba, castor alone, avocado, or hot six. HTH:)

ETA: I voted no, because baggying serves both purposes; protection and holding moisture.

Ditto! I agree with this. I used to bun. But my hair didn't take off until I started baggying. I use conditioner and vaseline, too.

gosh so if you don't want to wear a phony pony, you're kinda doomed huh? Or perhaps you just have the same progress as someone who baggies during the day. :(

Thanks ladies ;),

I really appreciate all of the great advice/info :)!

Darkempress, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. how often and how long did you baggy your hair?

I only baggy my hair at night and overnight and when I wake up I add moisturize my hair and bun it. Does this seem like a good method?

RavenIvygurl and chicoro thanks for your responses :smirk:!

chicoro, your hair is stunning girl! Thats good to know that you also used conditioner and vaseline. what kind of conditioner did/do you use? I use alberto vo5 citrus smoothie conditioner mixed with my africas best ultimate herbal oil. I actually like it so far ;).

:)
sweetcoco said:
Thanks ladies ;),

I really appreciate all of the great advice/info :)!

Darkempress, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. how often and how long did you baggy your hair?

I only baggy my hair at night and overnight and when I wake up I add moisturize my hair and bun it. Does this seem like a good method?
HEY SWEETCOCO,
THANK YOU:) , I BAGGY MY WHOLE HEAD AT NIGHT, 7 DAYS A WEEK. I TRIED DOING IT JUST ON MY ENDS DURING THE DAY WITH THE WHOLE PHONY PONY, BUT MY HAIR JUST THRIVES MUCH BETTER WHEN I BAGGY MY WHOLE HEAD:)

Last edited:
darkempress said:
:)
HEY SWEETCOCO,
THANK YOU:) , I BAGGY MY WHOLE HEAD AT NIGHT, 7 DAYS A WEEK. I DRIED DOING IT JUST ON MY ENDS DURING THE DAY WITH THE WHOLE PHONY PONY, BUT MY HAIR JUST THRIVES MUCH BETTER WHEN I BAGGY MY WHOLE HEAD:)

When you baggy your whole head do you put a plastic cap over your head? I tried that a couple of times but my hair was wet the next day is that normal? How do you style your hair the following day if your hair is wet? I may go back to the all over baggy :D!

I say no just because baggying is on a whole other level as far as retaining moisture is concerned....they baggying and bunning are both good for retaining length but baggying is just that extra added bonus if you want results almost immediately (for me anyway).

are you guys talking about baggying overnight or during the day with a phony pony (when environmental elements are doing the most damage)? Does doing it overnight yield the same results as doing it during the day if one doesn't want to wear a phony pony?

Chicoro said:
Ditto! I agree with this. I used to bun. But my hair didn't take off until I started baggying. I use conditioner and vaseline, too.

Girl, you know I learned about the vaseline from you!!:D I just love the castor oil though. I found that using it on my ends before the vaseline keeps my ends from feeling stiff when I remove the baggy.

sweetcoco said:
When you baggy your whole head do you put a plastic cap over your head? I tried that a couple of times but my hair was wet the next day is that normal? How do you style your hair the following day if your hair is wet? I may go back to the all over baggy :D!
YES WHEN BAGGYING I USE THE PLASTIC HAIR CAPS, AND I ALSO COVER MY HAIR WITH MY SATIN SCARF TO PREVENT THE CAP FROM COMING OFF WHILE I'M ASLEEP. I DONT SWEAT IN MY HEAD ALOT, SO WHEN I GET UP IN THE MORNING MY HAIR IS JUST SLIGHTLY DAMP, NOT WET. WITHIN 10-15 MINUTES MY HAIR IS DRY AGAIN.
BUT IF IT BEING TOO WET IS AN ISSUE FOR YOU CAN JUST SLEEP WITH IT FOR HALF OF THE NIGHT AND TAKE IT OFF AROUND 4 OR 5 IN THE MORNING. MY EVERYDAY HAIRSTYLE IS USUALLY A LOOSE BUN WITH MY ENDS TUCKED IN VERY WELL.

You ladies have such wonderful advice and I am glad I found LHCF:kiss:. Before coming to this board I was ready to give up on my hair but I am finally seeing improvements and it feels great :cheers:.

RavenIvygurl said:
are you guys talking about baggying overnight or during the day with a phony pony (when environmental elements are doing the most damage)? Does doing it overnight yield the same results as doing it during the day if one doesn't want to wear a phony pony?

Nope you're not doomed if you don't want to baggy covered with a phony pony during the day. You can just baggy at night, and have the same benefit as baggying in the day. Much of it is just personal choice, and daily life curcumstances. Some ladies simply do not like the style for constant daytime baggying, or want more variety. Some ladies don't feel they look professional enough when they have baggy styles. For those reasons they just baggy at night. On the flip side, some ladies can't stand the sound of the baggy when they are trying to sleep so they baggy in the day.

GoldenBreeze said:
Nope you're not doomed if you don't want to baggy covered with a phony pony during the day. You can just baggy at night, and have the same benefit as baggying in the day. Much of it is just personal choice, and daily life curcumstances. Some ladies simply do not like the style for constant daytime baggying, or want more variety. Some ladies don't feel they look professional enough when they have baggy styles. For those reasons they just baggy at night. On the flip side, some ladies can't stand the sound of the baggy when they are trying to sleep so they baggy in the day.

thank you! I love baggying at night, someone it makes me feel warmer in the winter, lol

I voted no becuase when I do the bun technique, the ends of my hair are still expossed. I bun during the summer months. I prefer bagging because I've noticed a MAJOR change in my hair's elasticity and how moisturized it is. :) I do the baggie method during the winter months.

I bun and seal with coconut grease or vaseline and I haven't had any problems. I only use satin scrunchies to bun so there's no friction on my ends and I get no breakage.

I bun and baggy. However to me they serve different purposes. A bun is a protective style that protects your ends from the elements but does not retain moisture. While that is one of the things that baggy'ing does. It retains moisture in your hair and if you plan on baggying during the day it would probably be wise to cover it.

I am a baggying addict! I wear phony ponies several times during the week and wear my baggy for days straight, with a co-wash in there. Then I end up twisting my hair and applying a plastic cap and using that nightly for baggying the whole head and rock a twist out.

sweetcoco said:
Divine Inspiration I am going to start baggying at night and overnight, do you think that would work? also what do you mean it would be over kill for me to apply conditioner and vaseline daily? Is that doing too much? I wash my hair 1-2 times a week and cowash once every 1-3 days. See thats why I always ask questions. I am always willing to learn new things especially when it comes to hair care. I have only tried the conditioner and vaseline for two days and I am not having any problems yet. But if it can become bad for my hair then I will try other products. Any recommendations?

I think baggying overnight is a great idea. It's definitely a good way to keep your ends nice and moisturized.

I think the condish and petroleum jelly would hurt more then help in the long run because the petroleum seals moisture in but after that it locks moisture out. So, at some point, you'll need to shampoo that away in order for your hair to receive the moisture you're putting in. However, with you washing as often as you do, you probably wouldn't have any problems. Should you only wash once a week though, you may notice mushy hair or hair that doesn't hold moisture over time. Some ladies here can use it every day with no worries, same with grease, while others have dryness & breakage issues with it.

So, I'm not saying it would be horrible for you...I just wanted to put that out there in case you start having issues in the future. :)

Divine Inspiration said:
I think baggying overnight is a great idea. It's definitely a good way to keep your ends nice and moisturized.

I think the condish and petroleum jelly would hurt more then help in the long run because the petroleum seals moisture in but after that it locks moisture out. So, at some point, you'll need to shampoo that away in order for your hair to receive the moisture you're putting in. However, with you washing as often as you do, you probably wouldn't have any problems. Should you only wash once a week though, you may notice mushy hair or hair that doesn't hold moisture over time. Some ladies here can use it every day with no worries, same with grease, while others have dryness & breakage issues with it.

So, I'm not saying it would be horrible for you...I just wanted to put that out there in case you start having issues in the future. :)

Thanks Divine Inspiration, yeah I do wash my hair alot and the vaseline is the main reason. I will start clarifying once a month. By the way your hair is pretty.

sweetcoco

sweetcoco said:
Thanks Divine Inspiration, yeah I do wash my hair alot and the vaseline is the main reason. I will start clarifying once a month. By the way your hair is pretty.

sweetcoco

You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment.

Back