Is bunning just as good as baggying?

Is bunning as good as baggying?

• Yes

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted no. I've been bunning all along but I'm starting to see some progress with the overnight baggying (moisture retention).

Congrats on the baby! My baby was born on the 3rd of February, she's on my lap sleeping as I type. I hope your getting some sleep (I'm not:( )

At night I part my hair in four or three sections and baggie. In the a.m. I take out my baggies and bun w/a clip. I think they serve two slightly diff puposes.

Baggying: Mainly moisturize ends and protect
Bun: Mainly protection

I'm natural and I use heavier products when I baggie. I spritz my ends w/some conditioner spritz, apply some Amla Heavy Cream and seal with wild growth hair oil.

In the a.m. after taking off my baggies, I apply a small amt of Africa's Best Gro Strong hair grease to my ends.

I prefer heavier products for myself. Also- I don't baggie every night, cause of the moisture I retain. I would say I baggie around 4 times a week and the other days I braid my hair in two plaits for bed. My hair is still moisturized though

Last edited:
RavenIvygurl said:
gosh so if you don't want to wear a phony pony, you're kinda doomed huh? Or perhaps you just have the same progress as someone who baggies during the day. :(

You can do it without the phony pony. Baggie at night and go.
BUT BUT BUT, some ladies use a bun cover and wear the baggie during the day also. HTH

RavenIvygurl said:
gosh so if you don't want to wear a phony pony, you're kinda doomed huh? Or perhaps you just have the same progress as someone who baggies during the day. :(

You can always get bun covers. I got some from ebay and they cover the baggie completely.

The black one is my favorite. Except they can kinda look old lady-ish lol!

I personally love bunning, baggying is....a temporary thing whilst growing ya hair past shoulder, or to armpit length..thats my opinion.

its just that i'm not looking to spend alot of time on my hair in the morn,, so i just fling in a cotton bobble, keep it so loose it could almost drop out, do a two strand twist and clip under.

hairs moist and silky

baggying keeps the hair wet for too long, which can create thin ends...

not a good look

Candy xx

sheba125 said:
I agree with the other ladies, baggying is for moisture. Bunning is a protective style and I will admit I wear a sock bun almost every day(for the last six months). My hair has made great improvements. But I am sure if I baggied at night i would have double the results, my ends get dehydrated easy:(

I agree with this statement 100%! i've been baggying since I heard about it on the boards and my hair has done a big 180!

It's shocking but I should consider bunning at night as well. hmmmm

I wear a bun 70% of the time.

I say bunning is just as good as long as you keep your hair moisturized. Otherwise, I'd say it is almost pointless

Candy_C said:
I personally love bunning, baggying is....a temporary thing whilst growing ya hair past shoulder, or to armpit length..thats my opinion.

its just that i'm not looking to spend alot of time on my hair in the morn,, so i just fling in a cotton bobble, keep it so loose it could almost drop out, do a two strand twist and clip under.

hairs moist and silky

baggying keeps the hair wet for too long, which can create thin ends...

not a good look

Candy xx

Is this true??

new to baggying and my ends are still damp. Is this thinning my hair? Should I take the baggy off at night and redo in the morning??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

XXXtacy said:
Is this true??

new to baggying and my ends are still damp. Is this thinning my hair? Should I take the baggy off at night and redo in the morning??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

It is true for some ladies. You have to listen to your hair. I've been baggying nightly since the beginning of the year with no problem, but some ladies have problems after only a couple of weeks.

ETA: Sometimes it's a matter of changing the products that are used to moisturize, sometimes putting a few pinholes in the baggy, and sometimes wearing the baggy less frequently helps. Still for some, it just doesn't work and they have to give it up.

Last edited:
I've been baggying the the loose braids of my cornrows with deep conditioners and grease under my wig and it's waYYYYYY better than just pinning them down underneath.

It is true for some ladies. You have to listen to your hair. I've been baggying nightly since the beginning of the year with no problem, but some ladies have problems after only a couple of weeks.

ETA: Sometimes it's a matter of changing the products that are used to moisturize, sometimes putting a few pinholes in the baggy, and sometimes wearing the baggy less frequently helps. Still for some, it just doesn't work and they have to give it up.

A recent thread with haircare tips, suggested using a piece of laundry cleaner garment plastic to tie around head at night but leave the top of head open to air. :look: It would seem you could benefit from this alternative as well. (Especially those who sweat in the head). Those ends would stay protected and moist.

I also found that applying the 'wet' product sparingly and oil more abundantly worked for me to avoid 'wet head'!:yep:

Back