Is Aveda Universal Styling Cream really that great???

pinkskates said:
I apply the USC to my hair after washing but I only apply it to my ends. A little goes a long way. The USC is one of my staples because it keeps my ends almost split-end free. Its the best!

Thanks for this tip. I just got this today and tried it on wet and dry hair and I love it.

MadisonK said:
Well, l I tried the Anti Humectant again on my twists. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it's not that great. My hair feels drier and doesn't look as shiny. I won't buy it again.

I guess I'll buy the USC now. I don't want to take the Anti Humectant back, since I took the Be Curly back Saturday for it.

I'm gonna try their skin care line for acne too. (I know this is another topic. ) The ingredients look really good. Has anyone tried this too?
I swear by their skin care line. Its AMAZING!!!

i only like it in wet hair... when i put it in my dry hair the consistancy is so thick that it's hard to spread through all my hair. i find myself having to use a lot when my hair is dry.

mkstar826 said:
I tried it a while ago and wasn't impressed...but all the wonderful reviews make me want to buy another tube and try again using a different method of application. Hmmm I have to go there to get some facial care stuff today...maybe I'll give it a whirl :lol:

update: I did buy it again and try it another way and now I love it. :D Before I was using too much...a little really does go a long way and it's great for sealing in moisture.

mkstar826 said:
update: I did buy it again and try it another way and now I love it. :D Before I was using too much...a little really does go a long way and it's great for sealing in moisture.

I agree. You really only need a little. I love this cream. It is my staple moisturizer. My BF uses it as well.

pinkskates said:
I apply the USC to my hair after washing but I only apply it to my ends. A little goes a long way. The USC is one of my staples because it keeps my ends almost split-end free. Its the best!

I just puchased this. I will be sure to use this on my ends.

I see I'm out in the river on this one. I hated the Brilliant Line, including the USC. Back to store it went.

I have both the be curly and styling creme so I have to see what works better. Im gonna use them for my WNG in additon to the watery laeve in they have and compare. Cant wait :yay:

I have a couple of questions - does anyone take this with them to the Dominican Salon to use before a roller set? Is that how some of you use it? And do any of you mix it with anything and use for wash and go type styles? I am going to purchase this and the DR today.

USC is the bomb! It's thick and creamy, but not too heavy for my fine tresses. Also, it doesn't give blinging shine, so what I do is mix about a dime size of USC with a dime size of the Brilliant Shine Serum (in the blue bottle). That's what give me the shine...;)

Try it. You won't be disappointed...:love:

hOnii said:
i only like it in wet hair... when i put it in my dry hair the consistancy is so thick that it's hard to spread through all my hair. i find myself having to use a lot when my hair is dry.

Hey hair twin! :wave: Yes, I do like it on wet hair, but better on dry hair. Like I explained above, try mixing it with the Brilliant Shine Serum and see what results you get. I like using this as my daily moisturizer. I either seal with the Brilliant Shine or with Hot Oil 6.

But since I'm on the AVEDA :love: challenge. I am going to be using nothing but Aveda throughout my stretch and for the duration of the challenge. ;)

This is a damn FINE product! Oh yes, I love it!! :yep:

I find I can't really use it as a moisturiser but it is excellent as a styling/finishing product. I put some flexi rods in on dry hair last night and before hand I applied some USC with a dab of castor oil on my ends and it left my hair smooth and polished looking and my curls are very defined with not a hint of frizz in sight, it's a definite keeper! :love:

Last edited:
Anyone still using this product? I’m hoping I can use this to moisturize and style my blown out hair, without it reverting. Seems like most people aren’t really using salon products anymore. I’m going back to them.

Anyone still using this product? I’m hoping I can use this to moisturize and style my blown out hair, without it reverting. Seems like most people aren’t really using salon products anymore. I’m going back to them.
I just used this yesterday and today. I always have at least 5-6 Aveda products on hand. I am like you ... I am going back to using mostly salon products. I feel like my hair was doing the best when I was using mostly salon products. During the past 4-5 years, I have been using mostly natural products and the problem is availability for me. Either the company stops making products altogether or stops making the products that I like. I will still add honey in my conditioners and use aloe vera and maybe a couple of natural conditioners. But I am trying to ween myself off of the natural conditioners completely because they aren’t reliably available and are costly. At one point, I was using Aveda and Kerastase exclusively and my hair looked the healthiest and thickest. My avatar is when I was using those products and the craziest thing is I was mostly relaxed in that pic. With me being natural, I would think my hair would be thicker but nope. I was also washing my hair a lot more then so I have started that back up. I am going back to the basics.

I just used this yesterday and today. I always have at least 5-6 Aveda products on hand. I am like you ... I am going back to using mostly salon products. I feel like my hair was doing the best when I was using mostly salon products. During the past 4-5 years, I have been using mostly natural products and the problem is availability for me. Either the company stops making products altogether or stops making the products that I like. I will still add honey in my conditioners and use aloe vera and maybe a couple of natural conditioners. But I am trying to ween myself off of the natural conditioners completely because they aren’t reliably available and are costly. At one point, I was using Aveda and Kerastase exclusively and my hair looked the healthiest and thickest. My avatar is when I was using those products and the craziest thing is I was mostly relaxed in that pic. With me being natural, I would think my hair would be thicker but nope. I was also washing my hair a lot more then so I have started that back up. I am going back to the basics.

Yep; you and I are of the same mindset right now. I literally said to my mom yesterday “I’m going back to the basics”. I’ve been reading a lot of old hair threads, trying to remember products and practices that used to work for me before I abandoned them, following the waves of the larger hair community

I originally started going in this direction for the same reason as you: reliability of natural hair companies. So I switched to only natural hair products I could get on the ground. I happened to pick up an old salon brand DC by chance, and realized it works so much better for me than any of the natural ones. I feel like natural products are are so heavily oil and butter based. It makes my hair feel decent when it’s on there, but doesnt really do anything for the health of my hair. When I was using salon brands exclusively, my hair was thick, dark, had a nice healthy sheen, smelled good, and looked polished. I don’t get that from natural hair products.

I picked up the universal styling cream and the anti humectant pomade. What other Aveda products are you still enjoying?

Yep; you and I are of the same mindset right now. I literally said to my mom yesterday “I’m going back to the basics”. I’ve been reading a lot of old hair threads, trying to remember products and practices that used to work for me before I abandoned them, following the waves of the larger hair community

I originally started going in this direction for the same reason as you: reliability of natural hair companies. So I switched to only natural hair products I could get on the ground. I happened to pick up an old salon brand DC by chance, and realized it works so much better for me than any of the natural ones. I feel like natural products are are so heavily oil and butter based. It makes my hair feel decent when it’s on there, but doesnt really do anything for the health of my hair. When I was using salon brands exclusively, my hair was thick, dark, had a nice healthy sheen, smelled good, and looked polished. I don’t get that from natural hair products.

I picked up the universal styling cream and the anti humectant pomade. What other Aveda products are you still enjoying?
Yes, yes, yes! I agree with everything you said. A lot of the products are too heavy and I have fine strands. Also, it’s less stressful just buying salon products (or even cheapie drugstore products) than trying to get hurry up and order the natural products before they are sold out (cough cough Soultanicals). If I keep up on my hair, I won’t need a special detangler. A cheapy conditioner will work just fine.
So the Aveda products I use besides the Universal Styling Cream are:
Damage Remedy Shampoo
Nutriplenish Shampoo
Scalp Benefits Shampoo
Sap Moss Conditioner
Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment
If I want to get fancy (lol) I will just mix honey and oil (I like avocado oil the best now) in my conditioner just like I would do back when I first started caring for my hair years ago. I am also going to start washing/rinsing my hair more. Also, I am no longer looking at silicones as being the enemy. I actually think they help my hair since my strands are so fine. It’s like they protect them.
Please keep me updated on how your switch to the basics goes!

Yes, yes, yes! I agree with everything you said. A lot of the products are too heavy and I have fine strands. Also, it’s less stressful just buying salon products (or even cheapie drugstore products) than trying to get hurry up and order the natural products before they are sold out (cough cough Soultanicals). If I keep up on my hair, I won’t need a special detangler. A cheapy conditioner will work just fine.
So the Aveda products I use besides the Universal Styling Cream are:
Damage Remedy Shampoo
Nutriplenish Shampoo
Scalp Benefits Shampoo
Sap Moss Conditioner
Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment
If I want to get fancy (lol) I will just mix honey and oil (I like avocado oil the best now) in my conditioner just like I would do back when I first started caring for my hair years ago. I am also going to start washing/rinsing my hair more. Also, I am no longer looking at silicones as being the enemy. I actually think they help my hair since my strands are so fine. It’s like they protect them.
Please keep me updated on how your switch to the basics goes!

Oh, yes. I’m back on silicones and regular shampoo too. Lol No more clay, vinegar, and oily shampoo bars for me.

Is the damage remedy restructuring treatment really that great? People we’re going crazy over it in old threads. What does it compare to as fair as strengthening/protein treatments?

Oh, yes. I’m back on silicones and regular shampoo too. Lol No more clay, vinegar, and oily shampoo bars for me.

Is the damage remedy restructuring treatment really that great? People we’re going crazy over it in old threads. What does it compare to as fair as strengthening/protein treatments?
I really love it. I have been using it for years. I think it has a good balance of protein and moisture. I only stopped using it because I got on the all-natural kick.

Universal Styling Creme seems to be discontinued, I can’t find it anywhere. :nono:

ETA: Discontinued everywhere except North America. A bit of a curious decision there. Hey ho nevermind.

Last edited:
Back