Is a blow dryer just a blowdryer?

syze6

I'm thinking of purchasing a blow dryer. The one I have at home is a little cheap one and just doesn't seem to give the results I'm looking fo. My co-worker syas it doesn't matter what blowdryer you use, whether it's a $7.00 or 30.00 one. What do you guys think. Sally's has a gold n hot on sale.

It matters. IMO a good blow dryer is ionic and 2000 watts. My dryer gets my hair dry in less than 10 minutes. No 1875 watt dryer from Walgreens can do that.

Last edited:
No....It matters. I personally like dryers that give me three heat options and three speeds. Ionic/tourmaline and a higher wattage is a must. Blow drying with a quality dryer is the difference between dry crunchy hair and soft healthy hair.

It matters. IMO a good blow dryer is ionic and 2000 watts. My dryer gets my hair dry in less than 10 minutes. No, 1875 watt dryer from Walgreens can do that.

No....It matters. I personally like dryers that give me three heat options and three speeds. Ionic/tourmaline and a higher wattage is a must. Blow drying with a quality dryer is the difference between dry crunchy hair and soft healthy hair.

I Agree with these ladies; I have owned now 3 different blowdryers this year but purchased 4 meaning another of the same one I have for just in case sakes.

My 1875 regular blow dryer would do nothing for my hair FRIED It and it took a very long time to dry. NOW, I have a Jilbere 2000 Ceramic Porcelain series blowdryer Ionic Ceramic and I AM AMAZED 7 minutes and my hair is DRY and SILKY and SHIney, so I won't be using any other!

I Agree with these ladies; I have owned now 3 different blowdryers this year but purchased 4 meaning another of the same one I have for just in case sakes.

My 1875 regular blow dryer would do nothing for my hair FRIED It and it took a very long time to dry. NOW, I have a Jilbere 2000 Ceramic Porcelain series blowdryer Ionic Ceramic and I AM AMAZED 7 minutes and my hair is DRY and SILKY and SHIney, so I won't be using any other!

Hey I just bought that dryer from sallys...wow!My hair is so silky,and shiny.It looked great after I blew it out but when I starting curling it with my flat iron/curling iron(yes I bought the combo one from golden hot)My hair looked like I got it done at the dominican salon!I read your post on it from a previous mention and I happen to be in sallys and decided to give it a try.Hands down best blow dryer I ever had!Thank u!

ive had the same conair hair dryer for god knows how long it has 3 speeds no comb at the end because it broke and it works just fine to me

Very good quesiton. Any other suggestions for a good blow dryer. I can hardly find Jilbere even online.

Last edited:
Bumping old thread. I'm in need of a new hair dryer--and with all the options I don't know, to buy "professional" or drugstore. In the end is it all about the the technique?

I just bought a professional blow dryer the first time in my life 2 weeks ago. I bought the Turbo Power 3800 Ceramic Ionic one when it was on sale. The air that blows out of that machine is totally different from my Gold and Hot ionic dryer I've had for years. The old dryer turned my hair to straw instantly on all heat settings. I thought my hair just didn't like heat, but sometimes I needed to blow dry in the winter because my hair would stay soaked all day without it. The new dryer softens my hair and doesn't dry it out. So I say a good dryer is important for a soft blow dry for me. If I want my hair straight (I'm a tightly coiled natural) then techniques would come into play.

I have a CHI ionic blow dryer. It came with a diffuser attachment. I don't really flow my hair out, but it is the first blow dryer that hasn't broken my hair or left it feeling like the leaves I love to step on.

I've used it on my cousin and it was perfect. That blower originally cost $110. I don't care if I bought it from marshals, It better be good!

Please excuse my iPhone

Last edited:
I ordered a black bird (con air) on amazon. I sill would like to buy a professional one, but with so many to chose from and the range of prices/reviews I can't decide.

But if it is just a matter of perfecting blow dry technique, I thought I would save money and go with a cheap model that has good, consistent reviews. --Also it provides variable temperature settings and lots of power compared to more expensive models.

That said I'm looking at Sedu, elchim, solano, and solia brands.

I don't blow dry often, but I'm just looking to reduce time and something that won't fry my hair when I want to straighten.

I have the FHI Heat Nano Salon Pro 2000, and I love it. True to its claims, it really does reduce drying time and frizz.

Thanks for the reviews ladies. I didn't know anything about blow dryers, so this has been extremely helpful.

I have a FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 and it's the best blow dryer I've ever bought. I wish I would have purchased it a lot sooner.

I have the orange Conair one in the commercials, and I absolutely love it. O(nly use it like three times a year, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It dries my hair quickly and when I'm done, my hair looks and feels great. It doesn't ever look fried.

The FHI Nano Pro comes with a comb and it's strong. It's the only dryer with a comb that I bought that didn't come off when I was blow drying.

Really? Mine didn't come with a comb attachment. I had to buy one separately. Mine came with a concentrator and a diffuser.

The conair blackbird comes with the concentrator and comb attachment.
I'm looking for the FHI model with comb attachment.

It 100% matters. It must blow positive ionic air and be either tourmaline or ceramic. Trust, you can have a dryer that you are fond of become a past time if you use a dryer with those specs. I have used a Babyliss dryer for almost 10 years now and will not go back. It dries much faster, doesn't dry out my hair, and leaves my hair so silky, that i could literally wear it fresh from the dryer with no flat iron application. It is an investment, but they last a long time and still work wonders. I have had this last blow dryer for over 4 years and it is still going strong.

Sent from Cat's iPhone using LHCF

I NEVER, I mean NEVER blow dry my hair even before I started my HHJ, and this thread makes me want to go get and ionic dryer and try it out.

Back