Ionic, ceramic, variable heat, etc flat iron -HELP

GodMadeMePretty

All right. I'm about to break down and buy a more expensive flat iron. But the only thing I know to do is to get one with variable heat. I have a ConAir with variable heat and it does an okay job but my hair LAUGHS at it while it reverts right before my eyes. I probably needed a larger size than 1" but I wanted to be able to get each section straight. Anywhoo, I used the flat-iron to try to wear my hair straight and down over the 4th. HA!! It took me TWO HOURS on TWO SEPARATE DAYS and I still wasn't finished with all my hair.

So, my last two weeks have been spent wondering if I should just relax again even though my hair will be worn in the same style on a daily basis which is a ponytail. I need some help deciphering all the lingo that is associated with flatirons.

Can someone explain or bump the thread about the differences if this has been discussed before. Thanks.

Is ionic better and why?
Is ceramic better and why?
What is the number in front of the YVI for the FHI irons?
And are there other irons other than FHI, CHI that you guys like?

Has anyone ever used these brands - Volcano, Ionic, Superstar or Bellissima?

I wanted to straighten my hair decently to see how long it is before I chop off 4-5 inches of relaxer. Today is my one-year transitioning anniversary.

TIA!!

What ever you do, don't buy the SuperStar****...It's not worth the $100...either that or I wasn't using it right.

GMMP-

Ionic is cool, but not necessary in an iron. You def should get a ceramic flat iron. It imparts great shine and is "healthier" for your hair as far as heating implements go b/c it heats from the inside out b/c of its strong PTFC heater. CHI, UNIL, RUSK and HAI are all said to be good irons. There are many who like the FHI, too. My only warning about FHI is to make sure you get the right model. There have been some recent complaints from online buyers that the model that they bought was discontinued, therefore, a sub-standard model. Also, CHI said that it will no longer honor warranties on irons bought online so you may want to buy that one from an actual store. I have a HAI nd I love it.

"What is the number in front of the YVI for the FHI irons?"

I'm assuming the number is the model number... (if I'm wrong, someone pls correct me).

hmmm... I hope that helps!

Thanks, Dolce Dawn. That helps. I just found an article online that talked about the heater. SweetNic also said not to get the Superstar but I just read that the Superstar is made by the makers of HAI and CHI and it used to be called UNIL. I am now thoroughly confused. But the model of Superstar that I was looking at was ceramic coated and not ceramic throughout.

I thougth that ceramic irons were the same as ionic irons. Being that they emit ionic heat/waves.

I have a cheap ceramic tools from sally's no complaints. But from what i've seen they no longer carry the particular model i have. so i don't know how the model they sell now works.

GMMP,

The Iron isn't bad per-say but it didn't produce the results that I expected; that could be related to hair type (I'm 4a/4b).

Other members have had really good results with the cheaper irons . I wouldn't want you to go and spend $100 for no reason.

If you want an inexpensive one, I heard that Curlmaster at Sally's is pretty good. My friend has one and she says it works wonders on her girls' difficult heads!
smile.gif

From my understanding, a ceramic iron is ionic. Ceramic is better because, unlike conventional flat irons, it evenly distributes the heat to your hair, so there's lees of a chance for burning your hair. And yes, the number in front of the FHI iron is the model number.
smile.gif

As far as the FHI goes, if you get one, make sure you get the RVI model. This is the red plated one. It has ceramic plates, while the reg. model (yellow plates) are just ceramic coated. If you buy a CHI, get the CHI turbo, as the reg. CHI does not have a temp. setting. I get my flat irons from ebay store SmartDealsOnline. They sell CHI, HAI, FHI, Supetstar,UNIL and a few others. They have a 30 day no questions asked return policy as well. (It doesn't apply to the CHI turbo, however). You may want to check them out.
smile.gif

HTH!

Back