Interesting Conversation with dermatologist today

gymfreak336

My bf had an appointment to get his skin looked at and I tagged along. Dr. Woods took some samples and sent them to get looked at for a min. He said it would only take a mintue so we just sat in the office and talked for a min. I took out my vitamin baggie to take my biotin and bamboo since I just ate. He proceeded to ask me what I was taking and as you can guess, we started talking hair vitamins. He told me that I was on the right track but he suggested that I monitor my mineral intake, especially zinc. He said that many men and women don't get enough. He told me that many women don't get enough sleep which can interfere with hair growth since lack of sleep suppresses the immune system. Zinc helps stimulate the immue system. He told me to add just one zine tablet to my regime and take it before I go to be. He said that biotin is one of the gold standard skin and hair vitamins and that is the one he suggests to his patients the most. He stressed the flaxseed oil and I already take 1 tablespoon a day but suggested that I up it to two tablespoons for 6 months. He asks what products I use and I told him about boundless tresses. I have a really tempermental scalp and I get itchy outbreaks all the time. I told him that since I have been using it, my scalp doesn't flare up so bad and he said that sulfur (in low concentrations) calms many itchy and flaky skin and scalp issues. He was explaining that that is why many ol school remedies include pine tar because it has sulfur in it.

Just thought I share. Ask your doctor or dermatologist about what you are doing, you might be suprised at the response.

My derm suggested biotin and zinc as well! Wow, he also suggested that I wash my scalp more often (at the time it was once every two weeks) and make sure and take regular multivitamin. Thanks for sharing your information. I had forgotten about the zinc but now I'm going to pick some up. (smiles)

Just on the news the other night, I saw a local hairsalon began marketing Biotin as the mircle hairgrowth vitamin. Of course they had their own brand of Biotin that was selling for 95:eek: a bottle. Thanks I better get some Zinc asap because I have a cold.:ohwell:

lana said:
My derm suggested biotin and zinc as well! Wow, he also suggested that I wash my scalp more often (at the time it was once every two weeks) and make sure and take regular multivitamin. Thanks for sharing your information. I had forgotten about the zinc but now I'm going to pick some up. (smiles)

I am going to stop my walgreens tonight pick up some. I am going to keep using the sulfur oil too. I don't even care if it doesn't increase my growth, it keeps the itchies aways which is enough for me.

More sleep = faster growth :scratchch I agree with that, I never thought about it but I have been sleeping about 9-10 hours a night since September and I've had amazing growth.

I also pray and ask GOD for long long hair.

dlewis said:
More sleep = faster growth :scratchch I agree with that, I never thought about it but I have been sleeping about 9-10 hours a night since September and I've had amazing growth.

I also pray and ask GOD for long long hair.

I need to get more sleep. I know I don't get enough. He said that that is the major issue as far as zinc levels in women is concerned. He said that men get more sleep but they lose alot of zinc when they .... ya know...
*trying not to be crass *

Thanks for sharing. I believe there is a small amount of zinc in my multi-vitamin but I'll pick up a tablet and start taking it at bedtime. Already on the biotin and flaxseed oil but I'll up it to 2 tbsps as well.

Great info, gymfreak! Thanks for sharing.

I really need to get back on track with my flaxseed oil. Maybe I'll start taking capsules.

gymfreak336 said:
My bf had an appointment to get his skin looked at and I tagged along. Dr. Woods took some samples and sent them to get looked at for a min. He said it would only take a mintue so we just sat in the office and talked for a min. I took out my vitamin baggie to take my biotin and bamboo since I just ate. He proceeded to ask me what I was taking and as you can guess, we started talking hair vitamins. He told me that I was on the right track but he suggested that I monitor my mineral intake, especially zinc. He said that many men and women don't get enough. He told me that many women don't get enough sleep which can interfere with hair growth since lack of sleep suppresses the immune system. Zinc helps stimulate the immue system. He told me to add just one zine tablet to my regime and take it before I go to be. He said that biotin is one of the gold standard skin and hair vitamins and that is the one he suggests to his patients the most. He stressed the flaxseed oil and I already take 1 tablespoon a day but suggested that I up it to two tablespoons for 6 months. He asks what products I use and I told him about boundless tresses. I have a really tempermental scalp and I get itchy outbreaks all the time. I told him that since I have been using it, my scalp doesn't flare up so bad and he said that sulfur (in low concentrations) calms many itchy and flaky skin and scalp issues. He was explaining that that is why many ol school remedies include pine tar because it has sulfur in it.

Just thought I share. Ask your doctor or dermatologist about what you are doing, you might be suprised at the response.

Got to get some!:)

mysweetevie said:
Just on the news the other night, I saw a local hairsalon began marketing Biotin as the mircle hairgrowth vitamin. Of course they had their own brand of Biotin that was selling for 95:eek: a bottle. Thanks I better get some Zinc asap because I have a cold.:ohwell:

Those salon owners must be smoking crack. But the real shame is that some poor soul will spend all that money for 500 mg, when they can get a 5MG bottle for $15.

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I might have to invest in me some zine... come one puritan with the 3 for 1 sale... lol...

I just got my order like two seconds ago. I ordered lysine, cysteine, vitaminc and some enzymes. I order just about 4 days ago so they got here quickly.

preciousjewel76 said:
Great info, gymfreak! Thanks for sharing.

I really need to get back on track with my flaxseed oil. Maybe I'll start taking capsules.

Try taking a lemon flavored oil. Trust me, the lemon flavor is much easier to take especially if you follow it with a swig of ice tea or fruit punch

gymfreak336 said:
Try taking a lemon flavored oil. Trust me, the lemon flavor is much easier to take especially if you follow it with a swig of ice tea or fruit punch

I saw that you take a lemon-flavored one in your siggy before. Where did you get that?

I am so glad you shared this information. I bought vitamins from Meijers last night and I was trying to find vitamins that mention benefits for hair and nails. Thanks!

preciousjewel76 said:
I saw that you take a lemon-flavored one in your siggy before. Where did you get that?

I ordered mine from Barleans but someone told me that spectrum had one too and you might be able to find that at a healthfood store. I think the major issue for me with the oil was the feel of having a spoonful of oil in my mouth. Then on top of that the taste was horrible. To get over the nasty oil feeling, I would take a little olive oil and put it in my mouth since it doesn't taste like anything. It helped me get over the "oil in my mouth" thing and then with the flavor, taking it is a piece of cake. You can actually mix a couple of squirts with some ice tea and it gives it the best lemon flavor. I am now looking for a flavored borage oil supplement. You get soo much more bang for your buck and better absorbtion with liquid oils.

I have been taking zinc for about 3 weeks and I have seen an incredible improvement in my acne. I didn't post about it because I wanted to give it more time before I posted rave reviews.

crlsweetie912 said:
I have been taking zinc for about 3 weeks and I have seen an incredible improvement in my acne. I didn't post about it because I wanted to give it more time before I posted rave reviews.

Ya don't say...I can't wait till I start using it.

pmichael52172 said:
What dosage of the zinc and of the biotin do ya'll recommend?

Biotin is water soluble so split you dosage up. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night. With zinc, its best not to exceed 100mg a day. For healthy hair/skin benefits, 22.5mg (I think that is the standard amount when you buy it in pill form) is enough. Many nuts also contain zinc and told me to eat nuts as a snack too. Take your zince at night. He recommended taking it at night and another lady here posted some info on how to take vitamins and her post affirmed that too.

I have been taking zinc for about 7 months now because it helps my intestines to absorb the iron I take for fibroids. The other thing too is that when you take Vit. C. with the zinc it works even better.

Maybe that's what's also been helping to contribute to my rush of hair growth, in addition to Boundless Tresses...been on the right track I guess :p

Nice & Wavy said:
I have been taking zinc for about 7 months now because it helps my intestines to absorb the iron I take for fibroids. The other thing too is that when you take Vit. C. with the zinc it works even better.

Maybe that's what's also been helping to contribute to my rush of hair growth, in addition to Boundless Tresses...been on the right track I guess :p

Good to hear, I just got some in my Puritans pride order

Dang, dang!! alright, off to Puritan's website, I need some ZMA anyway for workout recovery. :cool:

gymfreak336 said:

That's how I use to take my liquid evening primose and flaxseed...chase it with grape juice.

Nice & Wavy said:

Iron helps fibroids ?

myco said:
Those salon owners must be smoking crack. But the real shame is that some poor soul will spend all that money for 500 mg, when they can get a 5MG bottle for $15.

I admit $95 is wayyyyyy too much...but are all vitamins created equally...someone posted recently that the Vitamin Shopp vitamins were tested and they didn't measure up...also my derm. dr. reccommended a name brand biotin called Appearex...it's $17 a pop for a 28 day supply, 2.5mg.

...On the box it says that Appearex is the #1 dermatologist reccommended product for strengthening nails.

Back