Indian Stores are Awesome!!!

God's Anointed

I went to the Indian store today and much to my surprise, i saw my much needed peppermint oil!!! I went to an Organic grocery store and a half oz size was $7. When i went to the Indian store, i bought 100ml (about 4 oz, i think) of the peppermint oil for $7. I grabbed a bottle and didn't look back. I guess i can't be on the Use it up challenge. Oh and what does camphor do for the hair? Does it work like menthol?

Yep :) I love Indian stores !!! If you look carefully, you can find treasures for your hair.
I buy coconut oil, powder rose petals, shikakai, amla and most of my henna.

They're just tired of seeing me there :p

Amylee said:
Yep :) I love Indian stores !!! If you look carefully, you can find treasures for your hair.
I buy coconut oil, powder rose petals, shikakai, amla and most of my henna.

They're just tired of seeing me there :p

ITA, I get all of my Indian products at the local Indian grocery. What brands do you use? I use Uttam henna and amla and Hesh shikakai. I use Hesh rose petal powder. I use Dabur Vatika and Amla and lite Amla.

I Also use dabur Vatika and Hesh for my oil and herbs: it's the best for me.

For henna I buy henne color (black) and henne natur (black and chesnut). These do not contain metallic salts, only organic stuff :)

I make my own amla oil, because the dabur one has mineral oil in it. I mix amla powder with coconut oil that has been warmed up. Let that sit for a few day in a dark place and it's ready

Amylee said:
I Also use dabur Vatika and Hesh for my oil and herbs: it's the best for me.

For henna I buy henne color (black) and henne natur (black and chesnut). These do not contain metallic salts, only organic stuff :)

I make my own amla oil, because the dabur one has mineral oil in it. I mix amla powder with coconut oil that has been warmed up. Let that sit for a few day in a dark place and it's ready

I going to make my own amla oil, thanks for the tip.

whoa whoa whos..you mean I can buy my coconut oil for way less? That amla recipe has me inspired as well, I will NOT buy anymore stuff (at least not today)

I just found a local one today. I picked up some amla oil, vatika oil, Rashma henna, and brahmi powder. I don't even know what the brahmi powder is for, but it was only $1.99 :lol:

You can find a lot of good cheapie cremes & oils and such at the Asian, African and Indian marts. But pay attention to the expiration dates.

baglady215 said:
I just found a local one today. I picked up some amla oil, vatika oil, Rashma henna, and brahmi powder. I don't even know what the brahmi powder is for, but it was only $1.99 :lol:

:lachen: :lachen:

Yeah, same here, lol !!!
I bought a box of Hesh lemon peel sumtin'...
Don't know exactly what it's supposed to do...:confused: It's there on my stach...it's watching me...crying for me to use it...I just watch it back. Don't know what to do with it but I'm sure it was a bargain :lol:

Last edited:
I jealous ladies, I want to find an Indian store, whats a good online Indian store?? I live in hicksville USA and can not find one here.

Due to the fact that I live in the "United Nations". That is what I call my area: my complex as well as my township. There are all kinds of stores around here Like a 5 minute drive. Indian, African, Korean.

Today I made my a visit to buy hair products and not food. The first store I visited was a 5 minuted drive. They did not have what I wanted. But they sho nuff had food and videos.

So I jump back in the car with my sick behind and drive for 10 minutes to the next store. I purchased 2 bottles of VATIKA.

vatikaoil.jpg

I was going to get the Amla however , in another thread it was mentioned that it did not smell too pleasant.

I talked to an Indian Cusotmer in the store she told me that the Alma was strong and it smelled like goose berrys :perplexed um... I have never smelled goose berrys. She said that it cools the scalp and it is better for the summer. Howeve, the both are good. She said if you have a sinus problem it would clear it out.

I squeezed my oil into an empty WGO bottle. I may add Rosemary and Lemon EO it.

It's great to hear other wome having good experiences with the Indian stores. So when applying EO's to your products to 'boost' it, how much are you guys adding? What's the ratio content?

I highly recommend the Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil ESPECIALLY for anyone that has a dry or flaky scalp. I've seen it work its magic on a few clients. I don't have dandruff, but I've put it on my scalp for stimulation and EWWWWW WEEEEEE!!!

p1

God's Anointed said:
It's great to hear other wome having good experiences with the Indian stores. So when applying EO's to your products to 'boost' it, how much are you guys adding? What's the ratio content?

Well for 4 oz of oil I usually add 30 drops. There is alreay EO in there and this is my first time using it.

For 4oz of oil 24 drops = 1% of Essential Oil Dilution, 48 drops = 2% (whole body lotions and oils) and 96 drops = 4% (concentated massage oil)

Hair Oil -- If you are using 1 oz of oil 20 drops is good.

patient1 said:
I highly recommend the Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil ESPECIALLY for anyone that has a dry or flaky scalp. I've seen it work its magic on a few clients. I don't have dandruff, but I've put it on my scalp for stimulation and EWWWWW WEEEEEE!!!

p1

I purchased that but I didn't know if it was good or not. I don't have dandruff but I don't mind a good tingle for scalp stimulation. Thanks for the rave . I can't wait til next wash day to use it now!:D
I love the alma oil & vatika oil.

Current Length: Shoulder/Arm Pit per Henrietta...yay:)

:confused:
Hi girl...
What do you mean by this...Your hair is definately Armpit length?

Kini,
I know there are some Indian stores on Liberty Ave on the Brooklyn/Queens border but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I'm planning to go at the end of the week. They also had a huge BSS on that strip that is run by Dominicans so you know they carried everything. I hope they are still there.:look:

The first time i went in I was sooo lost but I found what I was looking for. It was just so much more stuff that my eyes were so big!

Henrietta said:
Current Length: Shoulder/Arm Pit per Henrietta...yay:)

:confused:
Hi girl...
What do you mean by this...Your hair is definately Armpit length?
Nothing bad...you were just the first person hereto make it official for me. It was a proud moment and I wanted to document it

Last edited:
Okay, I have the Vatika Oil. Have made a lovely coconut/coco butter/castor oil/honey hair pomade from it. Love it and the smell. I've bought the Henna and Amla from the local Indo Pak store.

But what does the rose petal powder do? ANd how do you use it. What does it even looklike, 'cause you know I have to look at the oicutres on the package. Most of the writing is not in English.

Ok, now i'm excited about having this store so close to where i live. I'm not sure if anyone answered this but i was wondering, what does camphor do for the hair? What are some pros/cons of adding it to my homemade mixtures?

I just found one this weekend. They had jamila henna and lots of other things. I found it by accident and it's in a place where I always go to so it was a pleasant surprise. I will go back when I have more time to look around!!

patient1 said:

p1

Anyone have the ingredients for this?

I love my Indian store I stock up on hair and face products.
I am so glad they sell the Himani Gold Creme and Moisturizer and I dont have to order online.
I buy the Parachute Coconut Oil,Olive Oil and Vit-E oil,Vatika and Alma oil.
I have not use the Shikakai powder as of yet.
The Sandal Face Pack are great on dry skin mix with Rosewater.

LABETT said:
I love my Indian store I stock up on hair and face products.
I am so glad they sell the Himani Gold Creme and Moisturizer and I dont have to order online.
I buy the Parachute Coconut Oil,Olive Oil and Vit-E oil,Vatika and Alma oil.
I have not use the Shikakai powder as of yet.
The Sandal Face Pack are great on dry skin mix with Rosewater.

I know! I used to always order my Vicco Tumeric online, but now I can just pick some up. I LOVE that stuff! It clears up spots wonderfully.

JustMeSteph said:
Nothing bad...you were just the first person hereto make it official for me. It was a proud moment and I wanted to document it

Phew
Well your hair is gorgeous and looks definately Apl to me...exactly where i wanna be in a couple of months.
HHG:)

Back