In Search of a Leave-In Conditioner

Keracare Leave-in - it fits all your criteria!

N.B If you don't like protein then you may not like the Kimmaytube receipe as Aloe Vera juice acts on my hair the same way protein does.....dry and strawlike.

Bublin really the aloe vera juice? I can not stand protein but I have been using this leave in on my grand son's hair I only use it like twice and I am so glad I read this before I went hardcore on my hair.

don't mean to hijack the thread,but I am wondering; what do you ladies look for in a leave-in? What is it supposed to do for your hair? Do you think it is absolutely necessary?

Sorry OP, I hope you don't mind me asking these questions.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Mandy4610...No I don't mind at all.

I know I look for a leave-in because sometimes I don't have time to moisturize and seal so I look for a leave-in that will keep my hair moisturized until I do have time to properly moisturize and seal.

If that makes sense.

[USER=30207 said:
Mandy4610[/USER];15104231]don't mean to hijack the thread,but I am wondering; what do you ladies look for in a leave-in? What is it supposed to do for your hair? Do you think it is absolutely necessary?

TIA

Moisture that lasts longer than 3 days, creamy consistency, found not the ground as I do not like shipping rates (some companies are just ridiculous)

OP I see you've tried the KimmayTube leave in. That is my fave, I use it with KCKT, applied to soaking wet hair. I've tried many others but that stuff seriously does the trick for me.

@Bublin really the aloe vera juice? I can not stand protein but I have been using this leave in on my grand son's hair I only use it like twice and I am so glad I read this before I went hardcore on my hair.

Shadiyah Well you can try it but my hair is sensitive to protein, aloe vera and glycerin.

@westNDNbeauty...thanks for the heads up. I will be there at noon when she opens to pick one up.

@brooklyngal73....I'm loving the $6 price tag. Will try this out. Especially from CVS since I can try it and if I don't like it I can return it.

@Bublin...the Kimmaytube leave-in did the same to my hair. I may have to try the KeraCare. Do you use the one from the texture line or the original?

@SeeLexus...I tried it. I don't think my hair liked the amount of Aloe Vera. It left my hair really dry. :ohwell:

@JeterCrazed...thanks for the coupon deal. for $20 bucks its definitly worth trying.

@Ann0804....I have the Cj smoothing lotion. I haven't tried it as a leave-in yet. But I will tomorrow morning. :yep:

YoursTrulyRE I use the original in the gold pump bottle- it is very concentrated. I've not tried the one from the textures line.

i look for my leave in to be an all in one.

what i use after i deep condition.
what i use to style.
what i use to maintain moisture until next wash day.

Don't know if it fits all of your requirements except it is under $15 but my faves are lacio lacio and Neutrogena Silk Touch leave in--i think they both have silk amino acids (which aren't as harsh as keratins, hydrolyzed proteins, etc IMO), but they make your hair ooooohhh soooo soft!

don't mean to hijack the thread,but I am wondering; what do you ladies look for in a leave-in? What is it supposed to do for your hair? Do you think it is absolutely necessary?

TIA

Mandy4610

I dont always use leave in but i was thinking this week while doing my hair its prone to frizz even though i use sulphate free shampoos they still lather and thats causes frizz
so using a leave in smooths down the hair and defines my curls so when it comes to applying gel which i always use i dont have to use as much as there isnt so much frizz to tame:yep:

keracare natural texture leave in conditioner is great you can get samples from the website if you contact them:yep:

Have you tried rusk sensories calming smoothing leave in? The scent is passionflower / aloe but it's not overpowering. I can sometimes find it at marshalls for 8 bucks or alternately ULTA. The consistency is thick and it always leaves my hair soft with no build up. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way.

I love this leave in but i cant seem to find it anymore.

I would also recommend KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner as it is pretty thick and very moisturizing. It does have hydrolyzed wheat protein in it (and no harsh ingredients) which is actually a very mild but moisturizing protein. I have this one in the 16oz bottle.

You can also use Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner ( has mild plant proteins in it and no harsh ingredients). The KC leave-in is a little pricy but the AB leave-in is around $6 for a 7oz tube. It is quite rich in texture and moisture even though it's not costly and I purchase mine from www.vitacost.com.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend Shescentit's Coco Cream Leave in. I am not sure about the smell for you. I smell it when I put it in, but it does not seem to linger in a bad way.

I would also recommend KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner as it is pretty thick and very moisturizing. It does have hydrolyzed wheat protein in it (and no harsh ingredients) which is actually a very mild but moisturizing protein. I have this one in the 16oz bottle.

You can also use Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner ( has mild plant proteins in it and no harsh ingredients). The KC leave-in is a little pricy but the AB leave-in is around $6 for a 7oz tube. It is quite rich in texture and moisture even though it's not costly and I purchase mine from www.vitacost.com.

:look: I'm going to go look at my bottle.

I tried using my CJ smoothing lotion as a leave-in. It worked out okay. My hair wasn't try but it wasn't super moisturized so I still followed up with a moisturizer.

I will try it a couple more times and if it doesn't work I think I'm going to order some Lacio Lacio to try.

Currently, I use Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing conditioners as my leave-in! It helps to detangle and I don't think it has protein in it!
Giovanni Direct is a big hard when it dries in my hair.

In my entire life up until 2004 (when i discovered hair boards) i had never used a leave in. my hair was always dry, like hay and never growing past a certain point.maaan using a leave in was one of the best things that ever happened to my hair.
i use these leave ins
Rusk smoother
ntm silk touch
lacio lacio
salerm 21
he ltr(sometimes)

In my entire life up until 2004 (when i discovered hair boards) i had never used a leave in. my hair was always dry, like hay and never growing past a certain point.maaan using a leave in was one of the best things that ever happened to my hair.
i use these leave ins
Rusk smoother
ntm silk touch
lacio lacio
salerm 21
he ltr(sometimes)

I really like this class of light/liquidy leave-ins as well :yep:. Since adding Rusk Smoother to my daily rotation my hair always looks lush and shiny without being oily.

Back