I'm taking out my micros!!

KweenZ

...next week and i wanna know what should i do to prepare my hair before i take them out? I also have the knots on the ends.. how should i remove them? Do you recommend any special products to aid in the removal - before, during, afterwards?? If you have had some, how did you do it? Lol Basically any tips, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

What I do it snip off as much of the ends as possible. Then I SOAK my hair in CON in the green bottle massaging it in the braids as much as possible. Then I get in the shower and let the water run over my briads massaging as I go. Most of them will slip out if you did not use any glue or anything. The stubborn ones may need some more of the CON. After I get as much out as possible, I get out of the shower to massage in more CON to loosen the tighter ones a litte more before jumping back in the shower to rinse them out. I use a hair catcher in the shower. Before I knew about them I used to just stop the water up and remove the loost hairs periodically as I go. So much quicker and safer for hair. I never snag or pull my hair or anything. At the same time, the CON conditions my hair and prepares it for my after braid clarifying and treatment process.

If that is the length of your hair showing in your signature, then the soak and slip out method might now work.

I would suggest recruiting a friend or relative (who has patience) to remove the knot you're gonna need something small & pointy to slip into the knot and loosen/ untie it. I like to use a hair pin with the little bulb removed. If you can do it with the bulb, that's better but sometimes the bulb is too big. Then you can also use the hairpin to pick apart the micro braids. Hopefully, you'll be able to slip them out but sometimes depending on the technique used to put them in, you might have to pick them apart with something little.

I also suggest coconut milk for any that are tangled. Don't let the Coconut milk dry though.

I had my braids in for 4 weeks didnt use any kinda MOISTURE so when i were time to take them out:wallbash:

I use detangler it gave me great slip, AFTERWARD put lots of conditioner all over my head for hour,and i lean over tub to wash it out.
also wash with some clarifyin to make sure my hair clean.
:nono: my hair matted so bad i know i lost about 10 inches i went from midback to above brastrap as disaster i still cant get over .

If that is the length of your hair showing in your signature, then the soak and slip out method might now work.

I would suggest recruiting a friend or relative (who has patience) to remove the knot you're gonna need something small & pointy to slip into the knot and loosen/ untie it. I like to use a hair pin with the little bulb removed. If you can do it with the bulb, that's better but sometimes the bulb is too big. Then you can also use the hairpin to pick apart the micro braids. Hopefully, you'll be able to slip them out but sometimes depending on the technique used to put them in, you might have to pick them apart with something little.

I also suggest coconut milk for any that are tangled. Don't let the Coconut milk dry though.

I've had micros with the knots on the end for the past few weeks too. I've had micros before, but not with the knots. I figured I'd need something like a hair pin to get them aloose. Mine aren't coming out for at least another month though. I will be using these instructions when I do take them out.

I usually taken them loose and gently comb through the small section to get rid of shed hair. Keeping a spray bottle handy helps out immensely with this process. Once I get all of the braids out then I go about washing/conditioning to prevent matting. Good luck!

Last edited:
I just got back from the BSS and they had a new gadget called the "De Braider". It is made by a company called Chili-Pik out of Compton CA. I am trying it now and works really well.

Has anyone else seen or used this? I like it. It has a handle similar to a glue gun with a pointy tip on the end. You put the tip at the beginning of the braid and pull downwards and that unravels the braid. Think of the tip of a rattail comb with a handle.

I have to finish the back of my head tonight and the wrapper says "SAVES TIME" so we shall see.

I just got back from the BSS and they had a new gadget called the "De Braider". It is made by a company called Chili-Pik out of Compton CA. I am trying it now and works really well.

Has anyone else seen or used this? I like it. It has a handle similar to a glue gun with a pointy tip on the end. You put the tip at the beginning of the braid and pull downwards and that unravels the braid. Think of the tip of a rattail comb with a handle.

I have to finish the back of my head tonight and the wrapper says "SAVES TIME" so we shall see.

Where in MD did you go? I'll have to keep this in mind. Keep us posted on how well it works as you continue to take them out... ;)

Hey I also tried to use that debraider when I took out my braids. However the conditoner "ease out" spray that came with it worked miracles. It proved to be better than the debraider. It seems like when I sprayed it on a braid it melted the braid. It caused the braid to be so soft. :grin: After doing that I used one of those rattail combs with the small small iron end to finish loosing the knot. Once I did that I was able to use the debraider to finish combing the braid out. Yes that sounds like a lot of work but I couldnt believe how much hair I didnt rip out or lose.
Anyway if nobody has posted the site here is the link: http://theunbraider.com/html/np_products.html Make sure you get the ease out spray also. Good luck and remember to treat your hair like its silk! :)
ETA: After I finished taking the micros down I combed the hair to make sure I didnt have any knots and mixed a bunch of my favorite oils and went to sleep. The next morning I washed and was unsuccessful at styling it because I had 6 months of new growth and couldnt get a perm. :look:

Last edited:
I soak mine in Amla + Vitika oil overnight before taking my braids down. They slip off easier and it leaves my hair feeling very soft.:heart2:

i agree 100%. when my hair was chin leghtn, the braids slipped right out with conditioner. now, that it is longer, the conditioner method will not work. recruit a TRUSTED friend to cut the knots in areas you cant see them. if u dont want to use scissors, u can use teh comb with teh metal on teh end to unravel the knot (will take longer, but it will ensure u dont cut your own hair because sometimes braiders will knot your own hair along with the fake hair).

very important- comb thoroughly each section of hair as u take out each braid. do not wait until u take all of your briads to detnagle and comb. it wil be a big ole mess. so after u take out one braid, comb throughly. u can use a olive oil or kemi oil to soften the hair when u comb it so u dont break your hair.

hth.

Hey I also tried to use that debraider when I took out my braids. However the conditoner "ease out" spray that came with it worked miracles. It proved to be better than the debraider. It seems like when I sprayed it on a braid it melted the braid. It caused the braid to be so soft. :grin: After doing that I used one of those rattail combs with the small small iron end to finish loosing the knot. Once I did that I was able to use the debraider to finish combing the braid out. Yes that sounds like a lot of work but I couldnt believe how much hair I didnt rip out or lose.
Anyway if nobody has posted the site here is the link: http://theunbraider.com/html/np_products.html Make sure you get the ease out spray also. Good luck and remember to treat your hair like its silk! :)
ETA: After I finished taking the micros down I combed the hair to make sure I didnt have any knots and mixed a bunch of my favorite oils and went to sleep. The next morning I washed and was unsuccessful at styling it because I had 6 months of new growth and couldnt get a perm. :look:

The gadget I have is completely different. Here's the site http://www.originaldebraider.com/ with a picture.

My verdict
The De-Braider is a good tool, but you will still need that rattail comb for micros. This will be perfect for medium sized braids, pencil sized, but micros will need the rattail comb with a lot of conditioner. The braids I am taking out are micro sized plaits on natural hair....I like it, but still need my comb.

I like the look of this product you mentioned too. The one I am using did not come with a spray, but I am using the Soft and Beautiful Botanticals AntiBreakage Braid Release Spray along with conditioner.

I am too sleepy to finish the rest tonite. THANK GOD FOR WIGS:grin:.

Where in MD did you go? I'll have to keep this in mind. Keep us posted on how well it works as you continue to take them out... ;)

It's a shame I don't know the name of it, but it's in Clinton, MD next to the Curves Salon and in the Sears shopping Mall--there's a Giant, Checker's and Popeyes at this shopping center. It's the only BSS in this particular mall. It cost $5.99. Beauty Max did not have it. I didn't check Sally's.

I recommend it, but if you have micros (which I have on natural hair, no extensions) you will still need the rattail comb.

The gadget I have is completely different. Here's the site http://www.originaldebraider.com/ with a picture.

My verdict
The De-Braider is a good tool, but you will still need that rattail comb for micros. This will be perfect for medium sized braids, pencil sized, but micros will need the rattail comb with a lot of conditioner. The braids I am taking out are micro sized plaits on natural hair....I like it, but still need my comb.

I like the look of this product you mentioned too. The one I am using did not come with a spray, but I am using the Soft and Beautiful Botanticals AntiBreakage Braid Release Spray along with conditioner.

I am too sleepy to finish the rest tonite. THANK GOD FOR WIGS:grin:.

Thanks for posting another site:) I checked it out and I think I will have to try that out next time. I like the lil grooves for the fingers.:yep:

Back