I'm stuck in the middle and I just want to cut it off

erin558

I guess I need words of encouragement right now.

My hair has grown out from a very short cut ( a bit shorter than it is in my icon ) to where it is now ( the picture in my signature, attachment. its about 3 times thicker than that now because that was after a fresh perm).

My hair is just too thick and is in limbo. its not short but its not long, just there. there isn't anything i can do with it but put it in a ponytail. sometimes i want to just wear it out but because of the length my hair wont stay down. it seriously sticks straight out and i have to bring a brush with me everywhere i go so i would look dumb. The sides of my hair grew out uneven, and i have damage around my temple area but i cant tell if its getting better or worse.

I thought my hair was doing well but now that im in this middle stage i feel like i will be here forever. in the past when i got here i would just cut it off ( once i actually cut it myself because i hated it so much, not a good idea. ) i really want to have long hair because i havent had long hair since 8th grade but maybe my hair is TOO thick for it now? I wish I had pictures but my camera is out of batteries.

i'm sure im not the only person that has gone through this but then it feels like a lot of you have started from shoulder length. how can someone with uneven sides, balding temple area, and bushy hair grow long, silky, beautiful hair? I know its possible but it doesn't feel like it can happen to me. i want to give up so bad! I'm tired of walking around here look like an old school News Reporter/Talk Show Host. My head looks like Rose's from The Golden Girls.

Attachments

• 252081206_8b0db293bb.jpg
    252081206_8b0db293bb.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 49
Aww, stick in there. You'll be surprised what 6 months time will do for your hair. Maybe you can take off the focus on your current length by experimenting with those clips everyone's raving about.

SweetNic_JA said:
Aww, stick in there. You'll be surprised what 6 months time will do for your hair. Maybe you can take off the focus on your current length by experimenting with those clips everyone's raving about.

clips!? Do tell ! i kind of fell off with the board ( im back now ) so im missing on a lot of stuff.

also, im just having a bad hair day. i clarified with aloe rid because everyone was raving about it and i think it made my hair hard? or maybe it was the Salerm? when i was rinsing my hair out it felt amazing but when i took my wrap down it just looks HUGE and Bushy.

erin558 said:

My hair has grown out from a very short cut ( a bit shorter than it is in my icon ) to where it is now ( the picture in my signature, attachment. its about 3 times thicker than that now because that was after a fresh perm).

My hair is just too thick and is in limbo. its not short but its not long, just there. there isn't anything i can do with it but put it in a ponytail. sometimes i want to just wear it out but because of the length my hair wont stay down. it seriously sticks straight out and i have to bring a brush with me everywhere i go so i would look dumb. The sides of my hair grew out uneven, and i have damage around my temple area but i cant tell if its getting better or worse.

I thought my hair was doing well but now that im in this middle stage i feel like i will be here forever. in the past when i got here i would just cut it off ( once i actually cut it myself because i hated it so much, not a good idea. ) i really want to have long hair because i havent had long hair since 8th grade but maybe my hair is TOO thick for it now? I wish I had pictures but my camera is out of batteries.

i'm sure im not the only person that has gone through this but then it feels like a lot of you have started from shoulder length. how can someone with uneven sides, balding temple area, and bushy hair grow long, silky, beautiful hair? I know its possible but it doesn't feel like it can happen to me. i want to give up so bad! I'm tired of walking around here look like an old school News Reporter/Talk Show Host. My head looks like Rose's from The Golden Girls.

You can get a bun right? maybe part your hair in the middle or do a side part and cover up the temple area and rock a bun...your hair will grow in no time...there's a member on here whose hair was taperd off in the back and now her hair has grown even all around...you have a nice length...do the bun with a part and swoop your hair to cover the temple area..and if you need...use some good day hair pins to use on your sides.HTH:)

tsmith said:
You can get a bun right? maybe part your hair in the middle or do a side part and cover up the temple area and rock a bun...your hair will grow in no time...there's a member on here whose hair was taperd off in the back and now her hair has grown even all around...you have a nice length...do the bun with a part and swoop your hair to cover the temple area..and if you need...use some good day hair pins to use on your sides.HTH:)

thats what ive been doing. i wear a side or a swoop from time to time but. it gets boring but i guess this is what im goign to be rocking for awhile. my boyfriend is always like "Where your hair down! I never see it down!" but he doesnt understand that its just not that easy

It is very hard in those stages, I remember wanting to go out and cut mine off again but I was determined not to have to go back to hairdressers. Maybe do as Breezy said and experiment with cute hair clips, combs and flowers etc, there are some extremely good ones on ebay, I got a lot of mine from there. Make sure that there are no seems to pull or tear your hair though.

HTH

Softresses

ETA: I see we have the same hair type, maybe you could wear it curly or in a curly updo. I just started wearing mine curly and decided I liked it.

Last edited:
erin558 said:
thats what ive been doing. i wear a side or a swoop from time to time but. it gets boring but i guess this is what im goign to be rocking for awhile. my boyfriend is always like "Where your hair down! I never see it down!" but he doesnt understand that its just not that easy

I know it can get boring...I am currently wearing a bun and have been wearing it for 6 months now and it's helps in so many ways....You have to remember even though it's boring right now in a couple more months your hair is going to get longer and longer and keep getting longer...Do you wear baggie your ends with anything and seal them with any type of oils?:)

tsmith said:
I know it can get boring...I am currently wearing a bun and have been wearing it for 6 months now and it's helps in so many ways....You have to remember even though it's boring right now in a couple more months your hair is going to get longer and longer and keep getting longer...Do you wear baggie your ends with anything and seal them with any type of oils?:)
i dont do the baggie method ( ive been thinking about it ) and i have recently been sealing my ends with coconut oil and jojoba oil. do you think the baggie method will help?

Erin, don't do it! I feel you all the way. In fact, I'm going through the same thing myself. I did a big chop because although my hair was passed my shoulders at the time, it was thinning in the back. I wanted my thickness back and so I sacrificed a big chop. I'm enjoying the health of my hair again, but this growing out phase gets depressing at times. But keep your eye on the prize. Time flies! You'll reach you're hair goal before you know it.

LOL!! I think I needed that encouragement just as much as you. Hang in there, girl. ;)

You could do some of those cute flat twists in the front and/or sides and have them go back to your crown, and the rest in a bun. I've seen someone on the board like that but I can't remember who, it was cute.
also you could to a french twist.

OH and the new UPA clip thingy that AtlantaJJ was talking about, that is sold on ebay!!! It is gorgeous, and your hair will still be protected. You can get any style of hair in your clip, and use cute barrettes over it. It looks undetectable and does not have the phonypony hump!

Softresses

Last edited:
erin558 said:

I was exactly where u are now. My hair is also real thick and when I cut it off..it was like a big old thick helmet when I needed a touchup. A huge birdsnest..lol At least u can do a ponytail..I couldn't.
I'm not going to lie, this shaggy grow out stage was the absolute worst..but I wasn't cuttin it again. I had to have patience and try and find ways to deal with it because I knew what I wanted in the long run.
Take a look in the drastic changes thread. Its soo inspiring..so many ladies with b4 and after pics.
Good luck I know how u feelin right now.

Softresses said:
It is very hard in those stages, I remember wanting to go out and cut mine off again but I was determined not to have to go back to hairdressers. Maybe do as Breezy said and experiment with cute hair clips, combs and flowers etc, there are some extremely good ones on ebay, I got a lot of mine from there. Make sure that there are no seems to pull or tear your hair though.

HTH

Softresses

ETA: I see we have the same hair type, maybe you could wear it curly or in a curly updo. I just started wearing mine curly and decided I liked it.

i think im goign to invest in scarves and headbands and stuff. i meant to get some today but i forgot.

when i took my hair down out of a wrap ( i wish i would just STOP wrapping my hair but its the only easy way for me to set my hair ) i flat ironed it and then tried to curl it but it just wasnt working, and besides, how would i keep the curl? As you can tell, im a girl that doesnt really know how to try new things with my hair. all i can do is wash/con flat iron, and wrap it. i really want to get away from wrapping my hair at night because it makes my hair SO flat but i dont know any other way to do it. i tried the mohawk set but because my hair is at a weird stage, it made my hair look huge.

erin558 said:
i dont do the baggie method ( ive been thinking about it ) and i have recently been sealing my ends with coconut oil and jojoba oil. do you think the baggie method will help?

Hellz to da yah:lachen: girl, your ends will stay moisturized therefore reducing or maybe stopping split ends and you should attain all your growth...

Do me a favor okay? Where you have your goals at in your signature...kill dat...Collar bone Failed...You didn't fail...you just need to regroup...that's all...

Last edited:
sylver2 said:
I was exactly where u are now. My hair is also real thick and when I cut it off..it was like a big old thick helmet when I needed a touchup. A huge birdsnest..lol At least u can do a ponytail..I couldn't.
I'm not going to lie, this shaggy grow out stage was the absolute worst..but I wasn't cuttin it again. I had to have patience and try and find ways to deal with it because I knew what I wanted in the long run.
Take a look in the drastic changes thread. Its soo inspiring..so many ladies with b4 and after pics.
Good luck I know how u feelin right now.

yeah! it just looks like a big ole helmet on my head! Lol I look Jane from The Jetsons.

i keep telling myself that I will NOT cut it. I cut it last year back in december because i thought it was damaged ( now that i have joined LHCF, I really know what damaged is! ) and my hair was at a nice length. Im serious when i say that it looks akward. each side looks like a whole different haircut. i forgot to mention that hte haircut i got last december was a BAD one, so its just growing out bad. this is the longest ( or shall I say, THICKEST ) its been since ...wow. i cant even really remember.

looking at the drastic change thread is a reason why i made this one, because even though a lot of those ladies came up, i just feel like I can't.

tsmith said:
Hellz to da yah:lachen: girl, your ends will stay moisturized therefore reducing or maybe stopping split ends and you should attain all your growth...

i dont even know how to do the baggie method, but i guess i will do a thread search on it. i was trying to be all simple with my hair care, but i guess i have to really step it up if i want the results

ScorpioLuv70 said:
Erin, don't do it! I feel you all the way. In fact, I'm going through the same thing myself. I did a big chop because although my hair was passed my shoulders at the time, it was thinning in the back. I wanted my thickness back and so I sacrificed a big chop. I'm enjoying the health of my hair again, but this growing out phase gets depressing at times. But keep your eye on the prize. Time flies! You'll reach you're hair goal before you know it.

LOL!! I think I needed that encouragement just as much as you. Hang in there, girl. ;)

thanks girl! ugh this is soo hard!

your hair is looking fly in your icon though.

Girl you can do it! Just keep browsing the board for inspiration, and hang in there, you can see from a lot of the posters on the drastic changes thread that a lot of the ladies here have made tremendous strides to care for and grow out their hair. The main thing is though, that it is going to take time and patience. Like one of the other ladies said, imagine it in 6 months!

Softresses

Softresses said:
You could do some of those cute flat twists in the front and/or sides and have them go back to your crown, and the rest in a bun. I've seen someone on the board like that but I can't remember who, it was cute.
also you could to a french twist.

OH and the new UPA clip thingy that AtlantaJJ was talking about, that is sold on ebay!!! It is gorgeous, and your hair will still be protected. You can get any style of hair in your clip, and use cute barrettes over it. It looks undetectable and does not have the phonypony hump!

Softresses

okay I really need to get that and im going to try your style suggestion

erin558 said:
i dont even know how to do the baggie method, but i guess i will do a thread search on it. i was trying to be all simple with my hair care, but i guess i have to really step it up if i want the results

Comb your hair going to the back, take a scrunchie and wrap it only twice around your ponytail (don't do it too tight) apply profective healthy ends, mango butter, or whatever you prefer to the length of your ponytail, then seal with your favorite oil, apply the baggie over the length of the ponytail and twist until it's all twisted and tuck the remaining piece in the scrunchie...and that's it...I use a processing cap myself because after I get through twisting I take the remaining part of cap and flip it over...HTH

tsmith said:
Comb your hair going to the back, take a scrunchie and wrap it only twice around your ponytail (don't do it too tight) apply profective healthy ends, mango butter, or whatever you prefer to the length of your ponytail, then seal with your favorite oil, apply the baggie over the length of the ponytail and twist until it's all twisted and tuck the remaining piece in the scrunchie...and that's it...I use a processing cap myself because after I get through twisting I take the remaining part of cap and flip it over...HTH

and I just wear this at night or all the time? Silk scrunchie? and is this baggie like a sandwhich baggie? I feel SO out of the loop asking all of this

tsmith said:

And they said on AtlantaJJ's thread that the baggie would work with the ponytail clip, It looks so real, I am sure your man won't be tripping to hard on it!

Softresses

Lol thanks for all the people that have replied so far because i feel a bit better now. i was seriously abotu to make an appointment to cut my hair off but now im going to stick it through. lately ive been trying to express to my SO my hair woes but all he can say is "Uh, I think it looks fine! Wear it down more!" so I just had to make a post, plus, i never really got to make my own little intro post so I figured this would be a good way.

i just talked to him on the phone and told him that I felt better. the conversation went like this

Me - I feel better now. I made a post and the girls are talking me through it. DO you want ice cream later?

Him- Sure, but do you want to actually eat the ice cream or did they give you tips on how putting ice cream in your hair can make it grow?

as you can see, i talk to him about LHCF A LOT.

Softresses said:
And they said on AtlantaJJ's thread that the baggie would work with the ponytail clip, It looks so real, I am sure your man won't be tripping to hard on it!

Softresses

Yah, I can't wait to buy me one of those clips..they're soooo cute and real looking...:)

erin558 said:
and I just wear this at night or all the time? Silk scrunchie? and is this baggie like a sandwhich baggie? I feel SO out of the loop asking all of this

I wear mine all the time because I really don't wear buns...I wear my hair combed back into a ponytail and then I baggy and apply my bun cover over the baggie. I use a processing cap but the other ladies use a sandwhich bag...you can use satin scrunchies or the soft cloths scrunchies..I use both without breakage.HTH:)

tsmith said:
I wear mine all the time because I really don't wear buns...I wear my hair combed back into a ponytail and then I baggy and apply my bun cover over the baggie. I use a processing cap but the other ladies use a sandwhich bag...you can use satin scrunchies or the soft cloths scrunchies..I use both without breakage.HTH:)

okay i get it. i have to buy a fake bun to wear over the baggie.

i think i could handle that.

i really want one of those UPA phony ponys but i think a fake bun would work better since people KNOW my hair isnt that long haha

erin558 said:
okay i get it. i have to buy a fake bun to wear over the baggie.

i think i could handle that.

i really want one of those UPA phony ponys but i think a fake bun would work better since people KNOW my hair isnt that long haha

Who cares what people think?

*let me clarify myself:-)...Don't worry about what people think..but a fake bun will work perfect for the baggy..HTH

Last edited:
Our hair is soo alike, even the growth pattern seems similar! I started out with a short pixie cut in February and now my hair is the same shape and length as yours. Like you I have been tempted to cut and actually have several times since February (I would say maybe a total of about 4 inches). Hang in there chica!!! We will be swanging our hair in no time. We are really close!

Girl, you can specify the length or even cut the pony to the length you want. Also, you may want to use some of the Scuncii ouchless hairbands or cut hosiery for bands insted of the scrunchy, it may be to thck to go under the pony.

Softresses

Softresses said:
Girl, you can specify the length or even cut the pony to the length you want. Also, you may want to use some of the Scuncii ouchless hairbands or cut hosiery for bands insted of the scrunchy, it may be to thck to go under the pony.

Softresses

I agree, I have made a few homemade scrunchies out of hosieries when my scrunchies have become worn:)

Back