I'm soooo tired of the salon

locabouthair

But I can't style for hair for nothing:ohwell:

I only go to the salon for wash and sets. I do my own relaxer because I got lots of damage and breakage when I had the stylists doing it.

Im tired of the shampoo lady always pressuring me for a perm. Then they dont like me sitting under the dryer too long for the DC. Yesterday I wasnt even under there for 10 mins and shes ready to wash it out. I really need that DC because my hair is really dry.

So then she starts rollersetting it and there's SO much hair in the comb. Usually they are very gentle but she was making bigger sections and using that fine tooth comb. I was so tight about that hair in the comb. I've never seen that much hair in the comb before.

I REALLY want to style my own hair but whenever I do it, it never comes out shiny and soft like when I go to the salon. It always comes out dry and dull and I use the same products they use too. I have a hooded dryer too.

I've rollerset my hair plenty of times and I've never seen an improvement. And I've done the ponytail rollerset and it came out horrible. I can't flat iron well either.

I dont know what to do ya'll. I feel if I keep going to the salon I'll never reach my goals.

Last edited:
I don't go to a salon anymore, but I feel you on being styling challenged. My hair rarely comes out as good when I do it versus someone else. Especially when I straighten it. No matter how small I make the sections or what I do it's never as smooth.

Can join this stylistically challenged group? As posted before, when I did a braid-out I looked like Benjamin Franklin, my roller sets resemble James Brown and don't even get me started on flat ironing 'cause when I am all done, my hair doesn't 'hang'; when I look down, my hair in the back sticks straight out. Uggh.

Looking for tips as well ...

Loca, if you can give yourself relaxer touch-ups, you can learn to do a roller set. Now get to work! :whip:

Yes I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm daunted by the thought of self-relaxing, but I'm pretty adept at roller setting (if I do say so myself ;)). The only way to get better is to keep practicing. Do you try to do equal sections when rolling the hair and ensure the hair is flat on the roller? I think this is key to successful roller setting, as well as ensuring each section of hair is saturated.

I would just keep watching tutorials on youtube if you can. I can't say I've noticed any additional length from the roller setting per se, but my hair is so much healthier and thicker. It takes time though - 5/6 months to get a very noticeable improvement for me, but the investment is worth it.

I am so there with you. I was always a do or die 2 week salon go’er. I can’t style either. I called my hair dresser early this week to say hello. She is having some personal problems and do you know the conversation turned to my hair. She asked how my head held up. I went to see her about 2 weeks ago after a 7 month hiatus. I told her the truth it was a flat stringy bird’s nest. First she started talking about me getting layers then she went to a perm. I was like I haven’t had a perm for 10 years. Now why would go back to that. I think I will only visit her once or twice a year for a trim and if I get lazy and really want it straight other than that I am over it.

Can join this stylistically challenged group? As posted before, when I did a braid-out I looked like Benjamin Franklin, my roller sets resemble James Brown and don't even get me started on flat ironing 'cause when I am all done, my hair doesn't 'hang'; when I look down, my hair in the back sticks straight out. Uggh.

:lachen::lachen: Thanks for posting this. I got a really hilarious visual image out of it and actually chuckled out loud.

Last edited:
Yes I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm daunted by the thought of self-relaxing, but I'm pretty adept at roller setting (if I do say so myself ;)). The only way to get better is to keep practicing. Do you try to do equal sections when rolling the hair and ensure the hair is flat on the roller? I think this is key to successful roller setting, as well as ensuring each section of hair is saturated.

I would just keep watching tutorials on youtube if you can. I can't say I've noticed any additional length from the roller setting per se, but my hair is so much healthier and thicker. It takes time though - 5/6 months to get a very noticeable improvement for me, but the investment is worth it.
Good tips, Cream Tee. I practiced roller sets until I got them right. Even doing them on dry hair is helpful as you improve parting, placement, and other techniques.

Awwwwww ..... I think you should tell them to leave you under the dryer longer... you can say it nicely... like when they motion for you to come from underneath, u can say "no, it's ok.. not yet"...unless they are like one of those assembly line dom spots where it's super crowded.

I do my wash and sets mostly myself and can get it to look really nice.. but it just looks a bit better when I let them do it and then give me a doobie wrap. But I can pretty much get the same results at home if I have fresh relaxer.

How much do you get charged for a 10 minute DC? Bit out of order isn't it!?

I get 25 minutes DC with my stylist - not that I go to her for that anymore.

Hmm...you dont have any stylist inclined friends loca? I've learned how to do my own thing and I came from not knowing how to do anything at all. Practice, practice! I feel you on using the same products as the stylists and not having the same results. *Hugs*

Hmm...you dont have any stylist inclined friends loca? I've learned how to do my own thing and I came from not knowing how to do anything at all. Practice, practice! I feel you on using the same products as the stylists and not having the same results. *Hugs*

I can't even talk to my friends about hair:ohwell:

I have one friend who I think is good with styling but she feels the need to remind me all the time about my "bad hair". She think it's so funny:rolleyes: So she won't be going anywhere near my head:nono:

I guess I'll keep practicing:ohwell:

I think the rollerset challenge can be overcome with more practice. YT it up! But if you absolutely cannot find a friend trustworthy enough to do them for you, and you are still having challenges with doing them yourself...it is time to find a NEW SALON! End of story. We tend to forget that we are PAYING them for the service they are providing, and while they are the professionals--you should still have a voice in the care of your hair and how you are being handled. If you continue to pay for a service that you are unsatisfied with, that is just money thrown away= bad investment.

This is part of the reason that I do not relax anymore, I texlax. My hair used to stick straight out when I was relaxed if I bent my head down. :wallbash: Now since I leave a LOT of texture in my hair and only use a relaxer a few times a year for a few minutes (underprocessed on purpose)...I get shaky, healthier (for me) hair.

You can learn to do your own rollersets on relaxed hair. It takes time, trial and error. But if naturals on this board are doing rollersets, relaxed ladies should DEF be able to do it.

My motto is If anyone is going to mess up my hair, it better be me!

I hated going to the salon and leaving feeling like "I got pretty hair, but I got jacked in the process (money, hair pulling, breakage, no deep conditioning, cutting too much off, making me wait 50-11 hours, being upset that my hair was in the middle of a "stretch" to name a few!)

I was afraid at first to do my own hair and own relaxer(texlaxed), but I wanted to see for myself if I could take care of my own hair needs without paying someone. It takes some times but I have been wearing my own hair out for over a year and it is worth all the effort and learning how to do things. It is so nice to have my Saturdays without being stuck in the salon or spending the weekend braiding my own hair!!!!!!!!! Also my hair is actually growing. I love LHCF!!!!!!!

:lachen::lachen: You are so funny! This post made my day.:grin:

This is part of the reason that I do not relax anymore, I texlax. My hair used to stick straight out when I was relaxed if I bent my head down. :wallbash: Now since I leave a LOT of texture in my hair and only use a relaxer a few times a year for a few minutes (underprocessed on purpose)...I get shaky, healthier (for me) hair.

You can learn to do your own rollersets on relaxed hair. It takes time, trial and error. But if naturals on this board are doing rollersets, relaxed ladies should DEF be able to do it.

My motto is If anyone is going to mess up my hair, it better be me!

I hated going to the salon and leaving feeling like "I got pretty hair, but I got jacked in the process (money, hair pulling, breakage, no deep conditioning, cutting too much off, making me wait 50-11 hours, being upset that my hair was in the middle of a "stretch" to name a few!)

How do you texlax your own hair? I mean in the back. I want to, I just can't figure out how people can see what they're doing and not over process. On top of that, my stylist only leaves the relaxer in 7 minutes. I mean she has to work fast. Do you just have a lot of mirrors?:ohwell:

How do you texlax your own hair? I mean in the back. I want to, I just can't figure out how people can see what they're doing and not over process. On top of that, my stylist only leaves the relaxer in 7 minutes. I mean she has to work fast. Do you just have a lot of mirrors?:ohwell:

Now, I must admit that I have gotten pretty good at self-relaxing. Here is what I did this last time and it came out perfect with lots of time to spare:

1) I relax my hair in two sections at a time. I part my hair from ear to ear and wrap up the back so no relaxer, shampoo or water gets on it.

2) I them make several 1/4 inch parts and keep them separated with hair clips that I bought from Sally's. (This here is KEY)

3) I then take each section and seal the already relaxed parts with vaseline and neutralizing shampoo.

4) I then start relaxing the front. I find that it only takes me 5 minutes to put in the relaxer because of the parts already being sectioned off.

5) I rinse out the relaxer for about 5 minutes. I then use my protein conditioner. Rinse. Wash with neutralizing shampoo and let it set for 5 minutes. Rinse. ACV. Rinse. Neutralize. Rinse. ACV. Rinse and final neutralizing shampoo. Rinse.

6) I then get out of the shower. Apply more neutralizing shampoo and leave it in.

7) I repeat steps 2-6 for the second half of my hair.

8) I apply a mixture of Joico reconstructor with hydrating balm and DC with heat.

9) 2-3 days later, I do a henndigo treatment.

I have tried this for the last 3 relaxers and I LOVE how my hair turns out. Not too thin.

HTH.

Now, if I can only find my way around a roller set ...

Last edited:
Practice makes perfect. :yep:

I know it sucks to hear, and it doesn't help you much, but it's true. At least now with youtube you can actually watch people do different techniques. I started styling my own hair and self-relaxing in HS b/c my hair was much longer and thicker than my mother's so she didn't know what to do. I didn't live in an area with many salons, and even if I did I wouldn't have wanted to spend the $$ to go.

Listen to your hair, take product recs on the board with a grain of salt, and start slow. You'll get it. :drunk:

aw im part of this group too!

Ever since i was a child i HATED the process of going to the salon, the shiny and somewhat silky(lol) hair was the only reasons why id go back.

Today if i need to do some work on my hair (relaxing, braiding etc.) i get a relative to do it.. so i dont feel too bad for bossing them around a little lol

And when you try at home and use the SAME products a stylist does and get dull results it IS frustrating! Wtf? Are they doing something else behind my back that i cant see??? :nono:

OMG! I so apart of the “can’t style my hair at home” group. I just came from the hairdresser today (I tried someone new) and she had the STINKEST attitude like I made her do my hair and I was wasting her time cause she had better things to do. She also came off like how dare I ask questions about what products she uses and her techniques. Like I’m beneath her. Plus I had to hear her grill her man on the phone. If I’m a new client can you at least pretend to be profession until the 3rd visit. Sadly my hair looked great.

Sorry I had to get that out and this thread came right on time. I’m a newbie to the hair care world. My reasoning for searching and join a forum like this is I tired of hairdresser taking my money and treating my like… hmm… you get my point and to learn how to my own hair with the right products all the way done to the touch-up. It’s just that when I do my own hair it never looks a HAM… Roll n set, Bantu set even a Bun. What’s a girl to do. :(

Loca, if you can give yourself relaxer touch-ups, you can learn to do a roller set. Now get to work! :whip:

I'm still trying to master the relaxer touch up. It comes kinda texlaxed but I dont mind too much.

:lol:

I probably don't. Ill try that.

Awwwwww ..... I think you should tell them to leave you under the dryer longer... you can say it nicely... like when they motion for you to come from underneath, u can say "no, it's ok.. not yet"...unless they are like one of those assembly line dom spots where it's super crowded.

I do my wash and sets mostly myself and can get it to look really nice.. but it just looks a bit better when I let them do it and then give me a doobie wrap. But I can pretty much get the same results at home if I have fresh relaxer.

It wasnt even crowded either but she was rushing me:rolleyes: I'm really sick of going there.

aw im part of this group too!

Ever since i was a child i HATED the process of going to the salon, the shiny and somewhat silky(lol) hair was the only reasons why id go back.

Today if i need to do some work on my hair (relaxing, braiding etc.) i get a relative to do it.. so i dont feel too bad for bossing them around a little lol

And when you try at home and use the SAME products a stylist does and get dull results it IS frustrating! Wtf? Are they doing something else behind my back that i cant see??? :nono:

I know!! I think part of it is that they are standing over our heads and they are at a better angle.

OMG! I so apart of the “can’t style my hair at home” group. I just came from the hairdresser today (I tried someone new) and she had the STINKEST attitude like I made her do my hair and I was wasting her time cause she had better things to do. She also came off like how dare I ask questions about what products she uses and her techniques. Like I’m beneath her. Plus I had to hear her grill her man on the phone. If I’m a new client can you at least pretend to be profession until the 3rd visit. Sadly my hair looked great.

Sorry I had to get that out and this thread came right on time. I’m a newbie to the hair care world. My reasoning for searching and join a forum like this is I tired of hairdresser taking my money and treating my like… hmm… you get my point and to learn how to my own hair with the right products all the way done to the touch-up. It’s just that when I do my own hair it never looks a HAM… Roll n set, Bantu set even a Bun. What’s a girl to do. :(

Welcome to the board!! I definitely feel your pain.

I think it is a combination of the beautician having a better angle to work from (standing over your hand verses your practically being a contortionist to get to certain part of your head), the fact that they use pure, unadulterated heat (super hot blow dryers, marcel flat/curling irons, etc.), and just skill.

Every time I do my hair, it is a disaster. Either it is dry and dull, or dry, dull and puffy, or dry, dull, puffy, and frizzy.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I totally understand you Loca. I can get the rollerset in really well but my hair dryer is busted and so my hair comes out a huge puffy mess. If I only I had a twin to do my hair I'd be set.

I had that same "wtf is all that hair doing on my comb" moment the other day. They comb hard as heck and I get pissed when i see ANY hair on my comb and dont get me started on how pissed they get when I bring my OWN comb cuz I am terrified about how much of my hair would be on the comb and floor if I let them put their grey fine tooth comb in my hair

Stop going! I spend entirely too much precious time, effort and money to protect and strengthen my hair for me to allow a "beautician" to undo even a small piece of my progress. The more quickly you get acquainted with your hair the more comfortable you will be styling and caring for your own hair. Sure you will make mistakes but you will recover and learn from them while gaining knowledge about your hair that you can use forever.

Back