I'm seriously considering sisterlocks

thesweetone

So I finally reached BSL at the start of the year, but I am really getting tired of the perm. I was natural for 3 years in college but because I was so busy, I kept my hair in braids all the time. I've always said if I go natural again, I'll do locs. There are two women at my church with sisterlocks and I like their looks. I just am really tired of the relaxer. Has anyone gone from relaxed to sisterlocks without a big chop? I'm willing to do a big chop (done it before the last time I was natural), but I read that you can transition to sisterlocks from relaxed hair without the BC. Just wondering if anyone here has done it.

Thanks

I would think you would want to do a big chop. Just transition your perm for like 6 months with braids or roller sets. You should have enough natural to loc and play with after that. The relaxed hair will be stringy and thin compared to your natural hair and it won't really be that cute when loc'd.

I was thinking about trying Sisterlocks because I'm transitioning back to natural. I don't have any advice but I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread. Hopefully, someone can offer some advice.

I would think you would want to do a big chop. Just transition your perm for like 6 months with braids or roller sets. You should have enough natural to loc and play with after that. The relaxed hair will be stringy and thin compared to your natural hair and it won't really be that cute when loc'd.

I agree. I haven't locked, but I researched it a while back and came to that conclusion. I think had I tried with my relaxed hair they would have broken off within weeks. I went with braids instead. That got me from nape length to almost shoulder length in a year.

There's a fotki member who transitioned from relaxed hair to sisterlocks. I wish I could remember her name. Argh. But yes ... it can be done with a sufficient amount of new growth. I'll see if I can dig up her fotki between today and tomorrow.

Back