I'm on a 4 month plan, then on to a Silkener...

BrockStar

Hey ladies! So I love being natural so so much! However, lately my shrinkage issues have been outta control. I spoke about it on my blog and it truly, to me, looks like my hair hasn't grown at all since December. Believe me, I'm grateful for how much my hair has grown since the BC, but lately you can't see the fruits of my labor :nono:. I got color in April and the roots have grown out about 3 1/2 inches and you can't tell at all that my hair has gotten longer. My goal for going natural was for my hair to be at APL, but what's happening is it's growing out and not down at all. I like the big hair look a lot, but eventually I would like to see some progress with length. So, advance warning, I am going to get a silkener if it doesn't look longer by December 31st. Thought I'd put that out there. What do you all know about Silkeners?

Blog:http://kinkycurlycrazylove.blogspot.com/

Lol, honestly I don't know I was pretty surprised myself! I've been leaving it alone a lot lately and I've seen a lot of growth with that. Cowashing every other day and a puff or bun in between.

noooo!!! your hair is drop dead gorgeous, and as it grows out, it will fall naturally! don't get a silkener :nono: i've seen some beautiful before and horrible after pics of ladies with silkeners. they're basically relaxers, left on for a tiny bit of time (from what i understand).

Your hair is so pretty and I understand where you're coming from. My hair is almost waist length and shrinks up to neck length:wallbash: Even when I was waist length it would only be MAYBE arm pit length when dry.

If someone could come up with a product that could combat shrinkage and elongate curls (besides a relaxer) they could make a fortune:dollar:

noooo!!! your hair is drop dead gorgeous, and as it grows out, it will fall naturally! don't get a silkener :nono: i've seen some beautiful before and horrible after pics of ladies with silkeners. they're basically relaxers, left on for a tiny bit of time (from what i understand).

That is what I understand it to be as well.

A lot of naturals are having success with the BKT. Check out the BKT support thread.

Last edited:
IMO you should think about it some more. You have only been natural for a couple of years and I haven't seen many heads that have grown as quickly as yours. You're like a chia pet lol! I'm sure it will grow down if you give it some more time.

Good luck!

Your hair is so pretty and I understand where you're coming from. My hair is almost waist length and shrinks up to neck length:wallbash: Even when I was waist length it would only be MAYBE arm pit length when dry.

If someone could come up with a product that could combat shrinkage and elongate curls (besides a relaxer) they could make a fortune:dollar:

My hair is the same way. I am BSL to MBL and my hair shrinks to above shoulder length when dry. My goal was to have my hair be collar bone length when curly (a reasonable goal I thought). Now I am starting to think I may have to accept that that may never happen (not unless I hit knee cap length). :ohwell:

I don't have a desire to get a silkener or texturizer, but I understand your shrinkage frustrations Brock.

IMO you should think about it some more. You have only been natural for a couple of years and I haven't seen many heads that have grown as quickly as yours. You're like a chia pet lol! I'm sure it will grow down if you give it some more time.

Good luck!

I agree. Your hair has grown faster than almost anyone else I've observed on here.

I understand. But please consider getting those chemicals! It's basically just a texlax. :/

There are methods here to loosen natural curl. Folk use henna, I saw other methods as well...and they aren't permanant but a silkener sure is on your hair! The methods are easy as well. Consider those (and make sure you read up on henna and the correct one to use before trying!)

If I had that head of hair I would not let a silkener come near it. :nono: Your hair is beautiful! I'm sure once it grows out a bit more you'll get the hang you want. I think you should give it some more time.

Your hair is gorgeous, but if you want to elongate, I'd try henna. I have only done 3 treatments, and my hair that once shrunk from gazing shoulder length to tight tight nape length now dries at between nape and shoulder length. What I love is that my curls in the front which seem to randomly just not curl are nice and defined again. I think its due to the henna strengthening my strands.

If you haven't already, do some research on the BKT. I think you will be more than please with the results on your beautiful natural tresses.

A silkener is fancy name for a texturizer, is all. Oh and I think the payment is your first born child ;)

I really hope you decide not to get one, I've always been a fan of your hair, but I hope you're happy with it if you do decide to do it.

Hey there...just my quick two cents (not that you need or even want it, but I do hope it helps...)

My DD was WL last year, and I have since cut her to BSB. She has a long torso, so that's still a lot of hair on her.

Anyway...when I want to elongate, I use a cone-free conditioner, a light-hold, shea butter (though I am sure any butter you like will do) no-alcohol gel, and TWIST!!! :grin:

I only do about 4-5 twists, so it doesn't take forever, and then I let it dry overnight. When I take her hair down the next day, she has the hang she wants with some nice texture to play with as well....she hangs past her shoulders, but not to BSB. It's a nice length and it stays that way until I wash again...just re-twist at night.

I also use Sabino on her once every 4-5 months or so.

I am sure your hair will be lovely whatever you choose, but a silkener is a relaxer and if you want to be chemical free...hmmm....nt sure that's the right way to go; however, if you want a texturized look, I know your hair will be absolutely gorgeous either way.

Thanks so much for sharing with us!

cj

Thanks for sharing this with us, darling. Your growth rate and hair is SICK (I DO mean that in a good way!).

A silkener brings with it many of the trappings that come with regular texlaxing...essentially...it IS texlaxing.

That said, only you have to take care of your mane, so what ever YOU say, goes!

I would try the curly primer method first and then a BKT, which should loosen your curls and and is not permanent. I don't know about a silkener and the chemicals. Your hair is gorgeous by the way!!

I remember lurking your fotki when I first joined and said "Wow that is some gorgeous hair and she wears 20 pearls. I can't wait to get there." I plead with you as a soror. Don't do it. You are one of my hair idols. You've worked this hard just keep going. I agree with everyone else just try something different BKT, henna, etc.

Ultimately it is your hair and you are going to do what is best for you and your hair. Good Luck.

Noooo Miss Sophia...Noooo Miss Sophia!!

Please rethink your decision girl! Your natural hair is to die for, I understand the frustration with shrinkage, thats what caused me to texlax (which is what a silkener is) my hair. And boy do I regret it! Your hair may hang looser, but then you'll have to worry about retouching the roots, the texture will feel different, your hair will be weaker.

If you tell them (Miko and Titi) that you want very minimal texturizing (sorry, silkening, lol) they WILL listen. My experience is that my coils are the same size before and after, but they hang more. I told them explicitly and several times that I wasn't looking for curls or waves, but that I just wanted it loosened a tiny bit and that's what they did. It is very difficult to see the demarcation line, and I'm only having it done every 5 months. (I've had it done twice, most recently 4 months ago.)

I have a question for curly girls (hair type like OP). If you do twist outs, does it give you any more length? I don't have the option of wash and gos, but I know that my fully shrunken hair is noticeably shorter than my twist outs. If you want more length to show, how about just doing a twist out with like 20 or so big twists?

Thank you so much ladies. I'll definitely look into BKT as well as henna and let you know what I think. One thing I can promise is I'll be giving it a LOT of thought over the next few months :grin::grin::grin:

I am texlaxed and my hair is almost apl and it still shrinks up ear length or neck length. So it may not help your hair to look to much longet than it does now.

please don't do the silkener. There's got to be some combination of products that can weigh your hair down enough to show some more length. You've come so far.

Back