I'm having serious breakage....

ArizonaBeauty

I'm trying to stretch until mid-november but my hair is shedding really, really bad. I do not know how to french braid and I'm scared to brush it...any suggestions?

I'm not exactly sure. Its been doing it for like 2 month now though. I want to say its because I'm stretching but I really don't know what it is. When I wash my hair and put my conditioner on, as I'm detangling my whole hand if covered with shedded hair. It's growing like crazy for the MTG but maybe thats why it shedding too? I'm not sure. I think I got my last perm at the end of July and I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving so I was trying to wait until the week before I leave to get another one. Four months give or take really isnt a long time but I can't think of what it could be. I've read the thread they have sticky for breakage and tried to do more moisturize and even added a light protein weekly...still no luck.

ArizonaBeauty said:
I'm not exactly sure. Its been doing it for like 2 month now though. I want to say its because I'm stretching but I really don't know what it is. When I wash my hair and put my conditioner on, as I'm detangling my whole hand if covered with shedded hair. It's growing like crazy for the MTG but maybe thats why it shedding too? I'm not sure. I think I got my last perm at the end of July and I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving so I was trying to wait until the week before I leave to get another one. Four months give or take really isnt a long time but I can't think of what it could be. I've read the thread they have sticky for breakage and tried to do more moisturize and even added a light protein weekly...still no luck.

if its just shedding i wouldn't worry, but i think you need to determine if it's shedding or breaking. if its shedding maybe u can try taking/using something with garlic in it; like odorless garlic capsules or garlic poo. but you should save the strands that come out in ur next wash and check them for the bulbs at the end of the strand to determine if its shedding or breakage. HTH :)

FlawedBeauty said:
if its just shedding i wouldn't worry, but i think you need to determine if it's shedding or breaking. if its shedding maybe u can try taking/using something with garlic in it; like odorless garlic capsules or garlic poo. but you should save the strands that come out in ur next wash and check them for the bulbs at the end of the strand to determine if its shedding or breakage. HTH :)

Thanks for the tip. They aren't long strands so I wouldnt say its breakage but I'm going to pay attention next time I wash/comb it. Its really bad though and its annoying the hell outta me. I might just have to get a perm at the end of this month because its outta control. Its all over my hands and sink when I finish doing my hair. Its growing though, guess I should appericate that.

ArizonaBeauty said:
Thanks for the tip. They aren't long strands so I wouldnt say its breakage but I'm going to pay attention next time I wash/comb it. Its really bad though and its annoying the hell outta me. I might just have to get a perm at the end of this month because its outta control. Its all over my hands and sink when I finish doing my hair. Its growing though, guess I should appericate that.

have you checked the ends of the hair for the white bulb. usually my shedding is long and it has the white bulb-when its just breakage its usually short and no bulb

LAYDEE said:
have you checked the ends of the hair for the white bulb. usually my shedding is long and it has the white bulb-when its just breakage its usually short and no bulb

They are short strands

ArizonaBeauty said:
They are short strands

im alittle confused-is it actully just shedding or actual breakage? do you see white bulbs on the ends of the hair that comes out? The title of your post says serious breakage but when you explain you say shedding.

LAYDEE said:
im alittle confused-is it actully just shedding or actual breakage? do you see white bulbs on the ends of the hair that comes out? The title of your post says serious breakage but when you explain you say shedding.

Hell, im confused too. I want to say it breakage because I'm looking at it in a negative way. It not like a little shedding here and there. It happens all the time but I don't see the white bulbs you are talking about.

ArizonaBeauty said:
Hell, im confused too. I want to say it breakage because I'm looking at it in a negative way. It not like a little shedding here and there. It happens all the time but I don't see the white bulbs you are talking about.

:lol: Not laughing at your situation-just the way you responded. Maybe you've stretched your hair to its breaking point-remember everyone cant stretch for long periods of time. And if this is your 1st time stretching-i suggest you start off slow and work your way up. I just did my 1st stretch-10weeks-but i plan on increasing by a week with each touch-up. I know your goal is to wait until Nov-but you may do more damage. --and when you are detangling your hair is it saturated with conditioner?

Sounds like it's breakage. Have you done anything different recently?

Maybe the stretching is causing it to break, do you normally stretch, are you stretching longer this time? I know I can't stretch to long or I will have a ton of breakage. Also, has your diet changed at all?

If it is breaking from the demarcation line of the new growth try a softner before you comb the hair, or even finger-comb for that matter. I just purchased Sta Sof Fro and I am at 10 weeks post. I couldn't part my hair with a finger tip before the Sta Sof Fro:eek: . It was 4.99 at Sally's for 16oz. HTH:look:

LAYDEE said:
:lol: Not laughing at your situation-just the way you responded. Maybe you've stretched your hair to its breaking point-remember everyone cant stretch for long periods of time. And if this is your 1st time stretching-i suggest you start off slow and work your way up. I just did my 1st stretch-10weeks-but i plan on increasing by a week with each touch-up. I know your goal is to wait until Nov-but you may do more damage. --and when you are detangling your hair is it saturated with conditioner?

Yeah I put a lot of condition on it before I detangle. I might try a different one because I'm using V05 Detangler and Leave in to comb it out but it might be a little drying.

MizaniMami said:
How are you styling?-Blowdrying, flatironing what???

Depends on time. In most cases I airdry and then flat iron the next day. I use Dudley creme press as a heat protector not matter what method I use. I only wash once a week though.

dlewis said:
Sounds like it's breakage. Have you done anything different recently?

Maybe the stretching is causing it to break, do you normally stretch, are you stretching longer this time? I know I can't stretch to long or I will have a ton of breakage. Also, has your diet changed at all?

Nothing besides adding the MTG to my regime which is actually making my hair grow at a rapid pace. I have also changed my diet, being trying to lose weight but I've been doing all things benefical like more water, veggies, walking etc. I have stretched before, 3 months before and wanted to go longer but I my hair was unmanagable but I dont remember it breaking.

Catina72 said:
If it is breaking from the demarcation line of the new growth try a softner before you comb the hair, or even finger-comb for that matter. I just purchased Sta Sof Fro and I am at 10 weeks post. I couldn't part my hair with a finger tip before the Sta Sof Fro:eek: . It was 4.99 at Sally's for 16oz. HTH:look:

I've been using S Curl, but I'll try this.

Back