I'm going back to doing MY OWN hair MYSELF...

itismehmmkay

I plan to:

-Self-relax w/ a mild relaxer (to minimize the chance for overprocessing)

-Get trims and cutting maintenance at Supercuts

-and chill

I'm tired of AA salons telling me that I need to relax my hair bone straight and not knowing how to take care for my new growth. I was doing just fine taking care for my own hair...I was just being lazy I guess. Eh

Anyone else on my same boat?

:clap: I AM! I've kinda been doing that for a long time, except that I didn't know everything about MY hair EITHER... but now that I do, it's on! But Dominican salons are kinda like that too... there's one that I go to and they start telling me to come back for a relaxer... i can't explain to them that I get a relaxer at home. I'll only go to Dominicans if i have somewhere special to go and have lots of NG that needs to be smoothed down. I might go to this other salon that is good, but once in a while too.

There's a Supercuts two blocks away or so from my house. The Supercuts you've been to before, do they really "TRIM" the hair? I need to find a place specifically for trims, so that when I want one, I don't have to spend $30 and come out with a headache and tears.

CarLita said:
There's a Supercuts two blocks away or so from my house. The Supercuts you've been to before, do they really "TRIM" the hair? I need to find a place specifically for trims, so that when I want one, I don't have to spend $30 and come out with a headache and tears.

I don't know yet. The women on this board say that the "white" salons are usually better at listening to customers and respecting measurement when it comes to trims w/o confusing them for CUTS.

I'm in your boat girl!

I had recently contemplated trying to find a hair stylist but why waste my money? I'd rather spend it on products anyway! The one thing I won't do though is my own trims, so I may just try a "white" place like Supercuts or Hair Cuttery. Do they do dry trims? Can I just walk in and get a trim without a wash, etc.?

baglady215 said:
The one thing I won't do though is my own trims, so I may just try a "white" place like Supercuts or Hair Cuttery. Do they do dry trims? Can I just walk in and get a trim without a wash, etc.?

Yep. In fact, I think that's the only way that they know how to cut black hair that isn't bone straight. They usually wet curly hair to make it straight before cutting. So, I plan to already have my hair freshly relaxed and dry before going to them. And they usually only charge about $20 for a wash and cut; either of them separately is usually only half of that.

:yep: I know EXACTLY how you feel. I ditched my stylist last August after two deep trims- I mean deep !! within 3 months of one another. Her texturizers were off the hook, but she would just trim w/o my permission, and I would come out paying $80 bills after a touch up and trim :eek:
After she got me twice, I made it my business to learn how to do my own touch ups. When I do get blow outs it's once in a blue. I already know how to roll my hair, but my next step is doing my blowout.

I put it this way, I already know how to do my own hair, I know how I like it, if it gets messed up I can only blame me :ohwell: I TRUST MYSELF! Bigger than all of that, I will save money for products :lol:

I went to the Dominican Salon last week to get a wash, set and blow out. It wasn't a good experience so I can definitely relate. I want to learn how to give myself a blowout too.

I've been on that boat for over a year now. There's plenty of room for ya. :lol: I may not have the nicest, healthiest hair but I've gotten further than I ever have with past 'stylists.' Plus, if I'm not satisfied, I have no one but myself to blame.

itismehmmkay said:
Anyone else on my same boat?

Hey sometimes you have to take hair care into your hands sometimes. Good luck and look into the archives to help answer your questions.

I do my hair myself, too. In fact, I haven't had it done at a salon so long. I've had some bad experiences at salons and do a much better job of taking care of my hair. I'm gentle w/ it and don't rush.

Back