If your hair is natural...

snillohsss

and you put a rinse in it, are you still considered a natural? I put a jet black rinse in my hair, and my friend (who is natural..) said I am no longer natural.

What do you all think?

You haven't changed your curl pattern/texture. I would still consider you natural, you've just chemically coloured hair.

Now if your friend is puritanical in her view of natural hair, she may feel that all hair conditioners/moisturisers used on natural hair should have all natural ingredients (i.e. no synthetic chemicals). If this is the case, I hope she's practising what she seems to be judgin you about!!

For me natural is judged on texture. If you aren't chemically altering your texture then you are natural. Coloring is a non-issue.

Colouring does not determine whether you are natural. An besides, a rinse isnt even really colouring...

I think you're still natural. But I've heard some folks say that if you color your hair, you're no longer natural but napptural. *shrug* I'm not a Napzi so what do I know.

A rinse isn't even permanent so it doesn't change your hair at all, just coats it. Of course you are still natural, that would be like someone saying I'm not natural if I used conditioner.

Would anyone think that a purple tomato was natural or a blue apple? I say if you have purposely done some think to permanenty alter it from the way it is when it grows out of your scalp than it is not natural.

But I know that most people don't feel that way. Where's that dead horse smiley?

OP, don't worry...all of this militant natural stuff is beyond me, is it really that serious? You still have your natural texture, you are natural. Next there will be something called "unrefined, organic hair"

Natural texture, unnatural hair color. Either way, I try not to worry about other people's heads too much. That's your friend's opinion and it really doesn't have any bearing on how you choose to label yourself.

You haven't changed your curl pattern/texture. I would still consider you natural, you've just chemically coloured hair.

Now if your friend is puritanical in her view of natural hair, she may feel that all hair conditioners/moisturisers used on natural hair should have all natural ingredients (i.e. no synthetic chemicals). If this is the case, I hope she's practising what she seems to be judgin you about!!

Maybe that's what I am...a puritanical natural. I'm auditioning labels right now because natural doesn't seem to describe my hair and haircare well enough.

Would anyone think that a purple tomato was natural or a blue apple? I say if you have purposely done some think to permanenty alter it from the way it is when it grows out of your scalp than it is not natural.

But I know that most people don't feel that way. Where's that dead horse smiley?

True true...I've yet to see a blue apple. Hence my quandary about hennaing my hair...it's a plant so that works for me...but it would leave me with an unnatural color...what to do what to do.

OP, don't worry...all of this militant natural stuff is beyond me, is it really that serious? You still have your natural texture, you are natural. Next there will be something called "unrefined, organic hair"

oooo maybe I'm an unrefined, organic natural person...we have organic everything else, organic hair isn't that much of a stretch.

i believe that you are still natural since the rinse isn't permanent, but, if you dyed it, you probably wouldn't be. i could be wrong but, i don't think the chemicals in dyes are natural.

Does a rinse chemically alter someone's hair? It's weird to me that someone with natural hair would try to find a way to exclude you from the "natural" community.

"Aha...you rinsed your hair. You're one of them now!!"

As long as you get single strand knots, use a denman brush, and have people calling you "mother Africa" you're a natural in my eyes and "theirs." :)

I bet your rinse is cute....can we see sum pitchas?

Does a rinse chemically alter someone's hair? It's weird to me that someone with natural hair would try to find a way to exclude you from the "natural" community.

"Aha...you rinsed your hair. You're one of them now!!"

As long as you get single strand knots, use a denman brush, and have people calling you "mother Africa" you're a natural in my eyes and "theirs." :)

I bet your rinse is cute....can we see sum pitchas?

LOL @ "As long as you get single strand knots, use a denman brush, and have people calling you "mother Africa".............

You are right, once you go through that, you will know for sure that you are still natural, regardless what anyone says! LOL

But to answer your question, I would say that you are still natural. Be prepared for when your friend tells you that if you wear your hair straight more than 50% of the time, then you are no longer a natural.

BB

Back