if you drink, would you date a sober alcoholic?

Guys this just happened last night. He beat me to the restaurant. When I checked in the hostess immediately offered me the wine list saying that he thought I may like a drink. It was our first date. I met him that morning on the net :look:

I sit down and asked what he was drinking he said he didn't drink. I told him I don't drink either. Well really I don't drink much. I am on occasion a social drinker. Then he told me that when he as in a meeting earlier it was an AA meeting. He said he has been sober for 6yrs. He had great conversation and likes fancy ish. I'm seeing his arse again.

interesting. i made this thread because i saw a guys profile who casually tossed in "i used to drink and it was a puroblem so now i dont drink. problem solved." like it sounded super casual and not a big deal at all but then i thought... idk son. dont look too good.

Sure, I would. But in not a big drinker anyway. I only have a couple drinks at social gatherings sometimes. However, if he can't handle that and isn't relatively secure in his lifestyle, I probably wouldn't.

I think you guys don't understand addiction. You can't drink around an addict and expect him not to be tempted/relapse. If you're dating a sober, that means you can't either -- for his sake

eta: I wouldn't. I don't want that in my genes. :sad:

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

almost everyone that said they'd date a sober alcoholic doesnt drink or is a light drinker.

Some people have spouses that don't drink but I think most people know the difference between a non-drinker and a sober-alcoholic.

No, to a person in recovery, I tried twice. Sorry, I like the spirits and I felt uncomfortable. Yes, to a person who just doesn't drink, for some reason I can refrain and be comfortable. Strange, I know.

I dated a sober alcoholic (10 years abstinent) and drinking was never a problem in the relationship. We just weren't compatible.

I tried to and it didnt work out. He wasn't an alcoholic but his dad was and he swore he would never touch it. Which I completely understood. But he judged the hell out of me for drinking. "Why do you want to drink? What do you get out of it?" "Why can't you just drink water?" Not to mention he was judgy about everything else.

One thing you don't mess with is my right to drink my moscato d' asti in peace.

Back