If you can heat train your hair can you....?

lovely_locks

curl train your hair? I am on a mission to only relax my hair once a year. The longest I have gone is six months. For my hair the best way for me to battle the different textures (relaxed and natural) is to do braid outs. I am wondering if I braid out my hair for months will my hair end up being "trained" the same way you can heat train your hair? Or am I just being silly?

Braidouts won't train your hair to be curly. You may be able to control the texture in your hair with texlaxing which is purposely under processing your hair.

I don't think so...heat training works because the heat breaks down the strands, it's not as dramatic as a relaxer but it does causes a min amount of damage to loosen the curl pattern...braid outs don't use heat or a chemical so I don't think so

Eta...I probably did a poor job of explaining that, maybe someone else can give a better explanation or you can just google what heat training is

I am doing the Curly Girl method, (finger detangling and using a wide tooth comb on the ends) and then bantu knotting which is helping the curls to form better. I dont think you can use heat at all thou' or if you do you can only do it every once in awhile.. I have noticed a difference.

I agree with the other responses. It doesn't work in both directions. As stated before, heat training will break down the bonds in the hair that make hair curly, but not as quickly or dramatically (generally speaking). Braiding doesn't break down the hair bonds, but texturizing/texlaxing may give you the result you're looking for. I know someone even curly permed their hair on this board recently with uniform results.

In a word, no. Relaxed hair has had its internal protein bonds (the structure that makes it curly) permanently broken down by the chemicals in the relaxer. Once you have done this, you cannot rebuild those bonds through mechanical means such as braid outs. Once you wash the hair, it will "revert" back to its relaxed state, i.e. straighter and less full than curly hair.

Hope this answers your question. :yep:

If I ever did want to loosen my curls I'd probably just get a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. At least that wears off after a few months.

I don't really *think* it's possible, but there was a lot of talk a couple years ago about chime/haircrush's hair being "braidout trained". Her natural curl pattern, even wet, is the same as her braidout pattern. And it didn't seem to start out that way.

I don't really *think* it's possible, but there was a lot of talk a couple years ago about chime/haircrush's hair being "braidout trained". Her natural curl pattern, even wet, is the same as her braidout pattern. And it didn't seem to start out that way.

I think her strands are just loosely curled. The bonds broken and reformed in the hair when the hair is set(hydrogen) are not the same bonds that are broken when relaxing or "heat training"(disulfide).

Back