Can you "train" natural hair??

The Six: if you predominately wear your natural hair straight then you can call it "training".

The Half Dozen of Another: if you predominately wear your hair in its kinky or curly state then you would call it "damaged".

The End.

you say tomato, i say tomah-to.

Hello, it's called heat damage. If the hair was trainable... then that means it doesn't grow. Are you all saying that your hair grows out of your scalp knowing to lay down and behave? I'm so confused. :lachen:

Yes, I have seen this happen but it is due to damage. With enough successive presses, the hair will stop reverting fully and will start to hang. However, on the naturals I have noticed this with, the hair is thin. I have yet to see a natural whose hair has suffered press damage and is still thick and full. Personally, I hate the long, thin, see-through-ends look.

IA, The word train is just a fancy way to say damage. Train=damage

op thanks for starting this thread. i've been trying to figure this out too. i have texlaxed hair and was considering going natural and "training" my hair to be st8. i guess i'll pass now... but is this "training" the same thing as getting your hair pressed?
Yes, but I mean to ALWAYS have straight hair. That would take excessive pressing multiple times a week.

MtAiry you've decided not to transition anymore?!?! I'm still in 2 minds about this. Can I ask why you are if you don't mind
I decided no to transition because of several reasons and I had to be honest with myself. My hair it TOO dry and it's hard to keep it moisturized when there's two textures. I didn't want to do a BC, but I didn't want my hair to look like crap either. I want to see my length and I can't see it if it's poofy and drawn up. I'd like to wear my hair straight most of the time- which would mean excessive pressing which is damaging. I wanted to get into rollersetting more and it won't lay right with my roots like this. Lastly, because it's been so many years since I've had natural hair, It's too hard. Caring for natual hair takes time and patience. I also don't feel I look my best. With everything going on in my life right now, I can't commit to it at the moment. I may try again in the future though, you never know:drunk:

PLEASE NOTE: This only applies to how I feel about my hair. I wish I could just blink and be natural so I can have my curl pattern together on a non-permed head, but i can't. The transition for me is just too hard at the moment.

The Six: if you predominately wear your natural hair straight then you can call it "training".

The Half Dozen of Another: if you predominately wear your hair in its kinky or curly state then you would call it "damaged".

The End.

you say tomato, i say tomah-to.
Good point...

Hello, it's called heat damage. If the hair was trainable... then that means it doesn't grow. Are you all saying that your hair grows out of your scalp knowing to lay down and behave? I'm so confused. :lachen:
:grin: Good Point!

Thank you ladies for chiming in on this subject. I was stumped about it, but I knew if I brought the question here I would get clarification. Thanks again!:yep: I'm not going to try it, I'm going to get my relaxer touch-up. Damned if I do, damned if I dont- so I'll take the easy route:grin:

Good question. I believe you can "train" your natural hair, especially when it's all natural ( I notice you are transitioning).

I think once your hair is completely natural, you will be able to train it into the curl...or if you straighten it, you will be able to train it to straighten!

Back