If Oil "Doesn't Moisturize" Then WHY do we do HOT oil treatments?

IndianAngel22

I just don't get it? I hear all over the board all the time Oil does not moisturize the hair at all so what is the purpose of hot oil treatments and VO5 and all this talk?

Oils don't moisturize in the sense of adding moisture to the hair. They help seal in what is already there. Oils have other conditioning properties so in that way they "nourish" the hair which is different than moisturizing. Sistaslick talked about this in some of her threads.

I do hot oil treatments before shampoo to protect the hair. The oil can coat the hair and lessen the harsh impact of shampoo sulfates

and some oils like coconut oil are moisturizing

Besides moisturized hair, lubricated/oiled hair is important.

It helps hold moisture in, help keep hair alittle more detangled, and helps with shine.

Hot oil treatments are probally not needed for everyone, alot of your moisturizers and conditoners have oil in them.

I do not think it is necessary for the oil to be "hot", but oil treatments can help maintain hair's health.

I hope this link works:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56486

ETA: Coconut oil has been shown to maintain and seal in the hair's protein content.

Hrm, good article - Heidi's a fountain of knowledge.

She says, a couple of times, that it helps the hairs moisture content, but then she turns around and says that oil does not capture water (which is what is needed for moisture) onto the hair.

How does oil help your hair stay moist? If it itself doesn't contain moisture, and it doesn't trap/capture water on your hair............. what's going on?

And I understand that some oils nourish the hair in ways other than just moisture - I grok that. I'm just trying to get to the root of the 'moisture' from oil, thing.

*waits for the science to be dropped*

Last edited:
I'm really not sure.. but I use Vatika Hair oil everynight before I CW (which is every other day) and when it comes time to wash and detangle I have no issues. I finally have a set regime with my hair so I don't wanna change anything for now... and it's not doing my hair any bad.

Hrm, good article - Heidi's a fountain of knowledge.

She says, a couple of times, that it helps the hairs moisture content, but then she turns around and says that oil does not capture water (which is what is needed for moisture) onto the hair.

How does oil help your hair stay moist? If it itself doesn't contain moisture, and it doesn't trap/capture water on your hair............. what's going on?

And I understand that some oils nourish the hair in ways other than just moisture - I grok that. I'm just trying to get to the root of the 'moisture' from oil, thing.

*waits for the science to be dropped*

Hmm, interesting that you bring that out.

The oil just seals in the moisture that is already there, not that it adds to the moisture content, so in that respect it helps slow down moisture loss. And oil is not a humectant, so it doesn't capture moisture, or attract moisture, like some other ingredients.

Does that help?

You know like when you put on lotion on damp skin? Skin is softer and lasts longer than if you just applied the lotion to dry skin. At least that's the case for me...:look:

I remember reading in a hair book a while back that they're not beneficial to the hair. I think it was Shamboosie's book but some of his advice should be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

The oil just seals in the moisture that is already there, not that it adds to the moisture content, so in that respect it helps slow down moisture loss. And oil is not a humectant, so it doesn't capture moisture, or attract moisture, like some other ingredients.

Does that help?

You know like when you put on lotion on damp skin? Skin is softer and lasts longer than if you just applied the lotion to dry skin. At least that's the case for me...:look:

That makes perfect sense - that means that oil is not, in and of itself, moisturizing - it's merely a sealant for moisture that is already there.

Are most hot oil treatments washed out, or are you expected to leave them on? I really don't remember.... :lol:

That makes perfect sense - that means that oil is not, in and of itself, moisturizing - it's merely a sealant for moisture that is already there.

Are most hot oil treatments washed out, or are you expected to leave them on? I really don't remember.... :lol:

:lol: You wash them out. That's what a "pre-poo" is, btw. One form of a pre-poo anyway.

And no need to make them hot. If you have to have it like that, make the oil warm...Hot oil is potentially damaging to the cuticle and the scalp. Just go back to the "why pressing oil is bad for the hair" thread.

Edit: In addition, oil is a useful sealant and lubricant. So the hairs don't snag onto each other. :)

Last edited:
I just don't get it? I hear all over the board all the time Oil does not moisturize the hair at all so what is the purpose of hot oil treatments and VO5 and all this talk?

I found out that V05 Conditioners have Biotin but I didn't want to put conditioner on my scalp so I checked out the V05 Hot Oil and guess what?

There is NO OIL in it! At least in the moisturizing hot oil that comes in the tubes.

BTW: I have used this product and loved it either way...

I found out that V05 Conditioners have Biotin but I didn't want to put conditioner on my scalp so I checked out the V05 Hot Oil and guess what?

There is NO OIL in it! At least in the moisturizing hot oil that comes in the tubes.

BTW: I have used this product and loved it either way...

Now that's interesting. So what is in it? :look:

Does that help?

Jojoba oil and Castor oil are humectants

Jojoba oil and Castor oil are humectants

I am not certain in regards to castor oil's properties, but jojoba isn't an oil, it is a wax, so it's possible in that respect.

Every "oil" contains different properties, but the general consensus is that most oils are not humectants :)

I am not certain in regards to castor oil's properties, but jojoba isn't an oil, it is a wax, so it's possible in that respect.

Every "oil" contains different properties, but the general consensus is that most oils are not humectants :)

well there is other information going around about that, thats for sure

I wish someone would get the story straight about oils

all I know is in the meantime, Im'a keep pouring oil over my head and calling it moisturized cause thats how it feels :grin:

I guess in the big picture it dont matter who says what about what-which seems to only be leading to a bunch of confusion IMO

People should just use oils however they work for them

I remember reading in a hair book a while back that they're not beneficial to the hair. I think it was Shamboosie's book but some of his advice should be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

I find them very beneficial to my hair-would never want to be without them

I find it strange all this mixed up information on oils. Crazy!

well there is other information going around about that, thats for sure

I wish someone would get the story straight about oils

all I know is in the meantime, Im'a keep pouring oil over my head and calling it moisturized cause thats how it feels :grin:

I guess in the big picture it dont matter who says what about what-which seems to only be leading to a bunch of confusion IMO

People should just use oils however they work for them

Yeah, some people can be confused or mislead by the good feeling of oils. They rock as lubricants, definitely. As long as the hair contains real moisture, then oils aren't bad. Even mineral oil has it's place and purpose.

The hair naturally holds ~10% moisture, so for some people just adding a drop of oil each day is enough (which is what I do most days). I tend to not require daily moisturizing products because my deep conditioners are the BOMB.com, lol! :grin:

Yeah, some people can be confused or mislead by the good feeling of oils. They rock as lubricants, definitely. As long as the hair contains real moisture, then oils aren't bad. Even mineral oil has it's place and purpose.

The hair naturally holds ~10% moisture, so for some people just adding a drop of oil each day is enough (which is what I do most days). I tend to not require daily moisturizing products because my deep conditioners are the BOMB.com, lol! :grin:

they dont just lubricate though, some of them absorb, thats already been proven

so on goes the confusion

whatever the oil is doing my hair has reaped the benefit totally

Does that help?

ITA.

Hot oil treatments work on the cuticles. They soften and make the outer layers of the hair pliable. They also impart a shine to the surface. Those things are nourishing to the hair-- but not moisturizing. "Moisturizing" = Hydrating and hydration is only a property of water. Hot oil treatments are basically temporary softening, smoothing, shine boosting treatments.

Deep conditioning (using a waterbased conditioner product with quarternized and hydrolized proteins and humectants + heat) will help bring moisture deeper within the strand which is why this process is much superior to hot oil treatments. Deep conditioning helps replace key ingredients and addresses the actual moisture aspect of all of this. Hair rarely thrives without regular deep conditioning, but you could go an entire lifetime without ever doing a hot oil treatment. They aren't necessary for hair health, but they are nice cosmetic treatments.

Ahhh, my Yoda :grin:

How've you been??

ITA.

Hot oil treatments work on the cuticles. They soften and make the outer layers of the hair pliable. They also impart a shine to the surface. Those things are nourishing to the hair-- but not moisturizing. "Moisturizing" = Hydrating and hydration is only a property of water. Hot oil treatments are basically temporary softening, smoothing, shine boosting treatments.

Deep conditioning (using a waterbased conditioner product with quarternized and hydrolized proteins and humectants + heat) will help bring moisture deeper within the strand which is why this process is much superior to hot oil treatments. Deep conditioning helps replace key ingredients and addresses the actual moisture aspect of all of this. Hair rarely thrives without regular deep conditioning, but you could go an entire lifetime without ever doing a hot oil treatment. They aren't necessary for hair health, but they are nice cosmetic treatments.

A good deep conditioner can make up almost anything. It can replace the need for a daily moisturizer-- or make up for a crappy one.:lachen:

ITA.

well speaking for myself here and my hair, I really couldnt go my whole life without oils

I know I couldnt go without the benefit they deliver and my hair be in the same shape and health it is now

well speaking for myself here and my hair, I really couldnt go my whole life without oils

I know I couldnt go without the benefit they deliver and my hair be in the same shape and health it is now

I know you couldn't girl, you're like the queen of oils!!! (and butters!:giggle:) :yep::lachen: Their benefits can't even be questioned.

ITA.

Oh, you're wonderful!

Now that it's all cleared up (thanks for the knowledge and dropping the science).....NEXT!

:grin:

Back