I wonder what would stop my breakage...

Cayenne0622

I never used to have breakage. When my severe shedding started, it caused me to drastically change my hair routine and products thinking I could stop the problem shedding. Prescription shampoo Nizoral caused my hair to get terribly dry and my accidental underprocessing (fear of more hairloss) added to the problems. Since then I've dropped the Nizoral and I have begun to relax my hair the right way again but continue to have breakage daily. I don't use heat often at all... but it doesn't matter. If I bun my hair (loosely and with moisturizer) there's breakage. If I heat protect, airdry, and flat iron, there's breakage. If I flexirod and finger come, there's breakage. I use protein, there's breakage. I use moisturizers and coconut oil to seal, there's breakage. My hair just does not seem to be getting strong enough to withstand regular styling.
WUZ UP????
It has grown tremendously and I'm in love with my hair but now that the shedding has stopped, I have to make the breakage stop to get a nice full head of healthy hair.

Cayenne, it may be time for a product overhaul! Maybe it is time to switch some things out.

Why do you think you are getting breakage? Does your hair feel dry or just fragile - or both.

Could it be from the winter season that we are just starting to get out of?

Cayenne, it seems as if you're doing all the right things. I just think some breakage is inevitable.:ohwell: At least in my case.

Your hair is very pretty! I was wondering if you've tried clarifying? This usually works for me before I continue w/ my moisture or protein regimen. HTH

cayenne i am in the same boat as you. when u used protein did u use a moisturizing treatment afterwards? i heard some ladies using a light protein treatment every week to combat/prevent breakage followed by a moisturizing conditioner. maybe u can try that.

I don't know what the connection is, but getting a trim has reduced my breakage/shedding quite a bit. I hadn't trimmed since sometime during last year. Someone else may offer a bit more info regarding why it helps but that's what worked for me after all else failed.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM A FEW MONTHS AGO. I WAS ABLE TO COMBAT THIS PROBLEM BY USING MAZANI NIGHT TX. ANOTHER LHCF MEMBER RAVES ABOUT IT. I WAS AT MY BREAKING POINT (NO PUN INTENDED) WITH ALL THE BREAKAGE I HAD. I COULD HAVE WEAVED A NEW RUG WITH ALL THE PIECES OF HAIR ON MY FLOOR AND CLOTHES. SO I FELT ANYTHING WAS WORTH A TRY. AND I TELL YOU NO LIE, I USED THE NIGHTIME TREATMENT FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND IT WORKED WONDERS. I WAS TRULY AMAZED. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT THE TX, BUT IT IS DEFINITELY A KEEPER FOR ME.

AFTER GETTING THE BREAKAGE UNDER CONTROL I DECIDED TO LOOK AT THE PRODUCTS I WAS USING AND MY WASH AND STYLE REGIMINE SO THAT THE BREAKAGE DID NOT COME BACK. I DID A CLARIFY AND HAS BEEN DOING DEEP CONDITIONS EVERY WEEK. I WAS GETTING DOMINICAN BLOW OUTS BEFORE. SINCE I GOT THE BREAKAGE UNDER CONTROL, I HAVE BEEN WEARING MY HAIR IN WET SET STYLE. I DAILY MOISTURIZE WITH OJON MIST AND SEAL IT WITH JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL (A KEEPER). ONCE A WEEK I DO A MOISTURE TX BY TAKING EACH ROLLER SECTION AND PUT S-CURL FOLLOWED BY EVOO AND ROLL IT UP. SINCE DOING THESE THINGS MY BREAKAGE HAS STOPPED COMPLETELY AND I AM ENJOYING HEALTHY MOISTURIZED HAIR FOR THE FIRST TIME.

GIVE THE MIZANI TX A TRY. I DID NOT BELIEVE THE THINGS THAT THE OTHER MEMBERS WERE SAYING BUT NOW I AM A TRUE BELIEVER. TRY DOING A SEARCH ON IT TO SEE WHAT OTHERS HAVE ALSO SAID ABOUT IT.

Oh wow...thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can remember what everyone said so I can answer everything.
I shampoo my hair once or twice a week depending on my mood, I deep condition for 30-45 mins every time I shampoo. In January, I discontinued use of the prescription shampoo that was causing severe dryness and I believe the source of my breakage.
I'm currently trying to find the best regimen for my hair so I'm kind of all over the place. I henna twice a month (I will never stop using henna). I shampoo with Motions moisturizing shampoo or Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair. I then deep condition with different moisturizing conditioners. I have so many products. I will either use Lustrasilk cholesterol treatment w/added essentials oils and honey or I'll use Giovanni with some additives. After conditioning, I usually airdry my hair or sit under my bonnet dryer. I will put Giovanni Direct Leave In on my hair, Elasta QP Thermal Silk (or something like that) for a heat protectant and a few sprays of Elasta QP H2 moisturizing spray. For the most part I bun my hair and use moisturizers daily - Qhemet products or B&B w/Castor Oil. I use a pommade or JAM or an alcohol free gel for me edges. I mostly finger comb.

I was doing a prepoo using Aubrey GPB but then I stopped because I thought maybe I was giving my hair too much protein and maybe that was causing the breakage.

I clarified my hair on Sunday using Kenra Chelating and I followed with a moisturizing shampoo and then a conditioning henna treatment.

I have done aphogee treatments. The last one was probably a couple of months ago. I have also done Nexxus Emergencee treatments but haven't done those in a while. I also have the Mizani nighttime treatment. Maybe I need to use that consistently for a couple of weeks and see if that does that trick.

Basically, I've tried it all but I guess I have to try one particular regimen and stick to it.

I think I'll do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment next week and go from there using the Mizani at night and a good moisturizer during the day.

P.S. At the slightest touch, I have hair on my hands so I know my hair is not strong. Suggestions?

How long have you been you using that Thermal Silk? If Im not mistaking, my hair hated it and it was drying and hard, too. And I think Sweetcashew was having hair drama when she was using the Elasta H-Two.

msshic said:
Your hair is very pretty! I was wondering if you've tried clarifying? This usually works for me before I continue w/ my moisture or protein regimen. HTH

Thanks Msschic. That is very sweet of you to say. I really do love my hair. I just wish I didn't have to be afraid of it. I'm scared to touch it because I always end up with hair on my hands. I don't wear it down at all. I do a lose bun with a soft scrunchie that has been soaked in oil.

Cayenne0622 said:
Oh wow...thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can remember what everyone said so I can answer everything.
I shampoo my hair once or twice a week depending on my mood, I deep condition for 30-45 mins every time I shampoo. In January, I discontinued use of the prescription shampoo that was causing severe dryness and I believe the source of my breakage.
I'm currently trying to find the best regimen for my hair so I'm kind of all over the place. I henna twice a month (I will never stop using henna). I shampoo with Motions moisturizing shampoo or Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair. I then deep condition with different moisturizing conditioners. I have so many products. I will either use Lustrasilk cholesterol treatment w/added essentials oils and honey or I'll use Giovanni with some additives. After conditioning, I usually airdry my hair or sit under my bonnet dryer. I will put Giovanni Direct Leave In on my hair, Elasta QP Thermal Silk (or something like that) for a heat protectant and a few sprays of Elasta QP H2 moisturizing spray. For the most part I bun my hair and use moisturizers daily - Qhemet products or B&B w/Castor Oil. I use a pommade or JAM or an alcohol free gel for me edges. I mostly finger comb.

I was doing a prepoo using Aubrey GPB but then I stopped because I thought maybe I was giving my hair too much protein and maybe that was causing the breakage.

I clarified my hair on Sunday using Kenra Chelating and I followed with a moisturizing shampoo and then a conditioning henna treatment.

I have done aphogee treatments. The last one was probably a couple of months ago. I have also done Nexxus Emergencee treatments but haven't done those in a while. I also have the Mizani nighttime treatment. Maybe I need to use that consistently for a couple of weeks and see if that does that trick.

Basically, I've tried it all but I guess I have to try one particular regimen and stick to it.

I think I'll do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment next week and go from there using the Mizani at night and a good moisturizer during the day.

P.S. At the slightest touch, I have hair on my hands so I know my hair is not strong. Suggestions?

Oooh - your hair sounds like mine - as far as the just breaking off in your hair thing....

1) You might want to henna less - try once a month. I was hennaing every week for a while, and I think that the henna made my hair TOO 'strong', and so it was breaking instead of bending *lol* piano wire hair, I called it. I slacked off, and now only do it once a month, and my hair has seemed to reach a happy medium.

2) I don't recognize most of your products, but how often are you doing a deep conditioning with a DEEP CONDITIONER? I was using regular conditioner to DC my hair, and then switched to actual DC's, and the change in moisture level in my hair has been AMAZING in the last month of doing this.

3) Do you have fine/dry hair? If so, and your regular products have cones in them, all of the moisturizing that you are doing through the week MIGHT not be getting to your hair fully due to the sealing properties of the cones. You might want to try baggying to give your hair a longer period of moisture on a daily basis (I baggy overnight, as I prefer not to baggy in public :lol: ), or try going cone-free for a week and see if that makes a difference.

Honestly - it sounds like you are using plenty of protien rich products - that PLUS the henna should be all the strengthening your hair needs. I'd really look into the moisturizing side of the equation....

G'luck!

Lustrasilk is a deep conditioner. Do you have any suggestions on other deep conditioners. I have so many things to try. Thanks for your help everyone. I'll keep you posted on my "progress".

I'm sick of all these products.

msshic said:

I agree. I was having this problem a few weeks ago. No matter what I did my hair was dry and breaking (not anything to whin about, but overtime there could have been a problem). Now that I think about it, I'm sure it had something to do with a Jazzing rinse I used (Never messing with that againtoo much protein). I remember reading on one of the threads that if the hair does not have enough protein in it, it will not hold on to moisture. So I clarified with Kerna Cheleating Shampoo, and decided to do a protein treatment (I like Redken Extreme Deep Fuel) with heat and then I followed up with a moisturizer (Mizani Moisturfuse) with heat. My hair is back silky and the breakage is almost zero. I can also tell the difference when I comb my hair. It was kinda rough (I'm assuming the cuticles were raised and making it difficult to manipulate), but now it's smooth. Good luck hon :) , I'm sure it'll work out.

I used to have significant daily breakage before someone here recommended the following:
1. comb only under running water with detangling poo
2. moisturize and seal with almond oil
3. no daily manipulation
4. vitamins
5. protein through diet

hope that helps

I started using Mizani Night treatment. I think it costs about $19 but it is worth it! My breakage has really diminished. I'm going to stop using the flat iron which should help too. I"m going to do this for the next couple of months and see how it goes.

Get the Mizani. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. ;)

Cutiepie7691 said:
I agree. I was having this problem a few weeks ago. No matter what I did my hair was dry and breaking (not anything to whin about, but overtime there could have been a problem). Now that I think about it, I'm sure it had something to do with a Jazzing rinse I used (Never messing with that againtoo much protein). I remember reading on one of the threads that if the hair does not have enough protein in it, it will not hold on to moisture. So I clarified with Kerna Cheleating Shampoo, and decided to do a protein treatment (I like Redken Extreme Deep Fuel) with heat and then I followed up with a moisturizer (Mizani Moisturfuse) with heat. My hair is back silky and the breakage is almost zero. I can also tell the difference when I comb my hair. It was kinda rough (I'm assuming the cuticles were raised and making it difficult to manipulate), but now it's smooth. Good luck hon :) , I'm sure it'll work out.

:love: this stuff has been so good to me.

A DC that I jsut got, and LOVE so far is Elsta QP Intense Fortifying Moisture Treatment - it's just FABU - my hair LOVED it.

nappywomyn said:
A DC that I jsut got, and LOVE so far is Elsta QP Intense Fortifying Moisture Treatment - it's just FABU - my hair LOVED it.

I think I have that conditioner. I'll go check my stash. I had been using the DPR11 until I ran out.

Cutiepie7691 said:

Thanks. I wish I could figure out what my issue is...moisture or protein. I would love to get those in balance.

Cioccolata said:
I used to have significant daily breakage before someone here recommended the following:
1. comb only under running water with detangling poo
2. moisturize and seal with almond oil
3. no daily manipulation
4. vitamins
5. protein through diet

hope that helps

Thanks Cioccolata - I do follow these steps. I try to treat my hair as good as possible. Its really growing and thickening back up after the shedding. Why is this so hard? lol

Kia - I have the Mizani treatment. I'm going to use it every other night for the next two weeks and see what happens.

Angie10 - thanks for the well wishes. You know I won't stop until I get this under control. I will not accept defeat.:D

Clarifying was the worst thing I ever did to my hair, it totally strips your hair and I don't think you can restore it with one treatment. Proceed with caution.

Cayenne0622 said:
I never used to have breakage. When my severe shedding started, it caused me to drastically change my hair routine and products thinking I could stop the problem shedding. Prescription shampoo Nizoral caused my hair to get terribly dry and my accidental underprocessing (fear of more hairloss) added to the problems. Since then I've dropped the Nizoral and I have begun to relax my hair the right way again but continue to have breakage daily. I don't use heat often at all... but it doesn't matter. If I bun my hair (loosely and with moisturizer) there's breakage. If I heat protect, airdry, and flat iron, there's breakage. If I flexirod and finger come, there's breakage. I use protein, there's breakage. I use moisturizers and coconut oil to seal, there's breakage. My hair just does not seem to be getting strong enough to withstand regular styling.
WUZ UP????
It has grown tremendously and I'm in love with my hair but now that the shedding has stopped, I have to make the breakage stop to get a nice full head of healthy hair.

your hair sounds just like mines right now at this minute it's growing but i still have broken hairs

i pointed mine to protein overload and am cutting that out and getting rid of all my or i'm going to try to anyway cones every conditioner i have has at least 1 cone
i have tried relaxing did't work so it was'nt stretching i did emergcee did'nt work and i clerfied and that did'nt work it has to be the cones and protien i used while stretching surge infusim and lekair cholerterol every deep con day since i kept running out of ntm mask now i did try mizani nighttime it did help but when i stopped the breakage started up again atone helped eith the shedding but i think thats now back

anyway i think it's protein so i've cut that out though next deep con day i may pre poo with cpr just to see

IntoMyhair said:
your hair sounds just like mines right now at this minute it's growing but i still have broken hairs

i pointed mine to protein overload and am cutting that out and getting rid of all my or i'm going to try to anyway cones every conditioner i have has at least 1 cone
i have tried relaxing did't work so it was'nt stretching i did emergcee did'nt work and i clerfied and that did'nt work it has to be the cones and protien i used while stretching surge infusim and lekair cholerterol every deep con day since i kept running out of ntm mask now i did try mizani nighttime it did help but when i stopped the breakage started up again atone helped eith the shedding but i think thats now back

anyway i think it's protein so i've cut that out though next deep con day i may pre poo with cpr just to see

i have never used the mizani treatment but I did hear that you have to use it for a while to get results. Were you using it consistently because at first I thought it was a one time thing then I read that you have to use it every night at least for a while.

^^^ yea for about 2 weeks
i started the other day but my hair is back up in a sock bun so now i have to start over again

my question would be if my hair is styled in say twists or buns when twisted how is all the mizani going to get through

(i think i stopped the treatment when i started my own 2 strand twists)

or is it best to do the treatments and wear hair down with ends tucked or in loose buns

Back