I witnessed something odd.I now realize lenght might not= healthy/good hair

BlackHairDiva

I witnessed something odd.I now realize length might not= healthy/good hair

I notice someone( a co-worker) who has long hair. She has 3A hair or so. Her hair is long, Midback about 3 inches away from wait length. Her hair seemed nice when she wore it long. However, I noticed some stuff. I noticed that her hair has no movement it constantly weighted down with oil...for what it seems. At first, I thought to myself...hmmm she is keeping her hair moisturized.

Then on another occasion I crossed this very same individual. She wore her hair in a french braid and all looked nice.She had an unlabeled bottle with an unidentified liquid...she clearly knew she had to hydrate her ends, and she even folded her ends in. I figured this girl must know her stuff.

Lately, she's been wearing her hair in a ponytail :nono::nono: something isn't right. The thickness/volume is way off! It's like the size of 2 MAC lipgloss next to one another. However, if you ignore the pony tail, you can tell this individual has quite a lot of volume /thickness...I realized what was going on. Only the very bottom of her crown(the very bottom of hair at the neck is MBL, the rest is SL):perplexed the rest of the hair can't even pass the elastic that is a reason why she got so many pins and clips all around the elastic.

I learned my lesson, I want long hair, but I will make sure to dust my ends in order to keep an overall nice length and thickness...Its not just about length!!! If you put work in your hair do it right. You'll be glad to have done it in the long run.:yep:

Finally, for those of you who feel your hair is still short, well you'd be surprised what you have on your head might actually be healthy with good length / thickness without you knowing it so don't get discourage.

Last edited:
I agree with the health priority over length, but could this girl have had layers? My hair is cut in layers, so only my bottom layers will reach certain goals first. I know this will make a thinner pony and/or frenchbraid, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the hair is necessarily unhealthy, it will just be shorter. At some point I may consider cutting it all one length, but not until all of the layers reach a milestone goal, bsl.

I wonder if she's trying to nourish her hair back to health without chopping her ends off or if she is doing a gradual trim.
I know what you mean though. I remember an OLD Oprah Show where this woman appeared to have MBL hair. Andre combed her hair straight up and you could clearly see the "line" where the ends thinned. He told her she needed to cut it. Had she done so she would have been neck length.

I agree, health before length. Before I was all about length. I probably went a good 2 years without a trim, and my ends looked a bit stringy and I was self-conscious about them. But I still wanted to wait until I reached WL and then cut it up to MBL, like my plan. But the last straw came when I finally reached BSL, and you could hardly tell I was BSL because my ends were so thin. So I got my hair trimmed back up to APL, and I don't regret it. My hair looks much healthier and moves a lot better, and I definitely won't be neglecting trims in the future.

I agree with the health priority over length, but could this girl have had layers? My hair is cut in layers, so only my bottom layers will reach certain goals first. I know this will make a thinner pony and/or frenchbraid, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the hair is necessarily unhealthy, it will just be shorter. At some point I may consider cutting it all one length, but not until all of the layers reach a milestone goal, bsl.

No she didn't have layers, cause the bottom crown( very bottom line of hair on the neck only) is super long and the entire rest of the head is SL.

If I put grease in my hair it will look like 2 twizlers if I try two put it in two ponytails. I have what looks like lots of hair but it is very fine strands so she may just have fine strands. The back of my hair grows a lot faster than the front on my head too and I have no idea why. Maybe she just doesn't know how to care for fine hair.

I'm sorry, but the visual of someone with a strip of MBL hair and the ENTIRE the rest SL has me :lachen:

Hey my new coworker (non AA) hair is like that. But I think her hair is damaged from over coloring it. She has three different colors, the shortest layer is APL blonde (ends are very fried w/split ends everywhere) and the very bottom layer is brown MBL and healthy looking. I actually thought she had brown extensions until last week when she asked me to French braid her hair. This woman hair is super thick.

If I put grease in my hair it will look like 2 twizlers if I try two put it in two ponytails. I have what looks like lots of hair but it is very fine strands so she may just have fine strands. The back of my hair grows a lot faster than the front on my head too and I have no idea why. Maybe she just doesn't know how to care for fine hair.

The visual ...!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I have 3 hair but I realized the strands are fine. so if it gets weighed down with oil or pressed it looks really thin when it's in a ponytail. I also have layers because of previous years of bad hair care and really tight ponytails that broke off the hair in the front. Some of my hair used to be NL from the damage but I def didn't want to have all of my hair that short. Plus my hair grows faster in the back too. Her hair my not be unhealthy but she might be over conditioning and letting her layer catch up with cutting the longer hair.

Edit: She still might need to take a visit here LOL

Last edited:
I don't think there is any correlation between length and health of hair. We've all seen hair as long as a snap looking tore up but we've also seen it healthy as can be. Same with all other lengths. Shoot, before I came to the Board, I used to get comments about my length and it was all a facade!! Cuz this mess was a disgrace underneath that thin veil of hair.

Back