I Wish I Could Get My Money Back For....

I just wanted to share my experience with Annabelle's fragrances in hopes that it will help others. I've been using Annabelle's for about 2 years now. I first started out using the Ayurvedic Cream in Birthday Cake scent (gifted to me by another member) and did not have any adverse effects to the scent. However, I noted the strong ammonia-undertone to the scent and the way that it lingered for days in my hair. About 6 months ago, I started to experience very minor sneezing after twisting my hair using the Ayurvedic Cream and Body Butta (scents used: Cherry, Blueberry Cheesecake, Birthday Cake, Lemon Pound Cake, Cookie Dough, Vanilla Pound Cake). At first, I did not correlate my symptoms with an allergy to the fragrance. However, last week I experienced a bad allergic reaction to the products after twisting my hair with the Ayurvedic Cream and Body Butta (Cookie Dough and Blueberry Cheesecake). I experienced prolonged congestion, sneezing, fever, and sinus pain that lasted for about 30 hours, forcing me to take off a day from work. I took prednisone, benadryl, and a steroidal nasal spray to lessen the symptoms. I almost washed my hair again because the scent of the products lingered so much that it was like a cloud of scent surrounding my face.

I am not a person that has suffered from sensitivity to fragrances. I am a healthy mid-20s female and I work in an organic chemistry lab with chemicals everyday. I wanted to share my story in case others are experiencing similar issues and as a cautionary tale. I also want to say that we should feel comfortable sharing our experiences with EVERY vendor (whether good or bad) because it helps out our community. At the end of the day, our forum is for the good of the hair community!

I also posted this message in the vendor forum

@myronnie

I know early on, there was a discussion about the Chemical/Ammonia-y scent some detected in some of the products.

The last Lotions and Butters/Cremes that had somewhat dissipated.

There was something in the Pomades, I purchased a while back that caused me to have an allergic reaction.

I had to also take Benadryl and Prednisone to relieve the itching and irritation I experienced and I had to end up rewashing my hair.

Not sure what was in those that caused my reaction? But I know I have certain 'sensitivities' to certain things.

I did end up 'gifting' the unused Pomades to others.

*But I am not saying I want my money back*

Last edited:
Shea Moisture Purification Mask: $10 down the drain
Soultanicals Knot Sauce: Made my hair a little hard no slip.
Sitrinilla NO wow: I could make this conditioner in a minute or two with my stash.

I wish I could get my money back for the keratin smoothing treatment I got in August. Results lasted less than a week and cost $60. Worst thing ever!:cry3::cry3:

Giovanni Direct Leave In and Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel :down:

I really wanted to like these because the ingredients seemed great and I remember the Direct Leave In being popular a few years ago. But the leave in coated my hair and the gel just sat on my hair :nono: These are the only products I've tried that my hair isn't fond of.

Coconut oil. I have tried so many times to get it to cooperate with my hair but all it does is make my hair feel greasy but somehow crispy and dry at the same time. *shrugs*

Glycerin is a no as well.

I'm in that same boat.

Shea Moisture does nothing but coat my hair and dry it out, but I won't rule out their hair masque yet only everything else.

Carol's Daughter is hit and miss for my hair.

Organix or whatever it's called now used to be good but then they changed their formulas and now my hair screams.

Design Essentials Espress Instant Moisturizing Conditioner- Does absolutely NOTHING for my hair. I added oils, tried pre-pooing, it's just craptastic. I'm mad that I bought a tub of this smh. There's many things that work for others that my hair just laughs at.

Design Essentials Espress Instant Moisturizing Conditioner- Does absolutely NOTHING for my hair. I added oils, tried pre-pooing, it's just craptastic. I'm mad that I bought a tub of this smh. There's many things that work for others that my hair just laughs at.
I just ordered that. I hope it works for me. I only got the bottle though.

@Lilmama1011 I have that Chi blow dryer. It was an impulse buy for me. It's not bad but the times I've blow dried my hair, I tend to reach for my Kiss handless blow dryer instead which I prefer better.

I was doing client's hair with my school blow dryer they had gave me and I always for smooth results because I know how to smooth hair but it is way less work with the chi, it dried faster. My wrists weren't hurting and I don't round brush on a regular so it's an improvement. Also when I want to blow dryer my roots I can turn the ions all the way up to get really smooth results and probably avoid my need to flat iron or will improve my flat iron jobs on Mt own hair because I can't flat iron my hair as good as I do someone else's.

No. I haven't tried any keracare products.

I got it recently and for it because it doesn't have cones and says detangling. I have been looking to replace my creme of nature argan oil shampoo which is excellent but has cones and before they didn't. But I was looking for something moisturizing and has slip to detangle under running water as I do with my creme of nature. SO use it and his curls was popping, soft and curls stood up for once and I used it on my mannequin's hair and her hair didn't tangle for once and easily combed out ans lost like a strand of hair. I haven't used it on my relaxed and new growth hair because i used heat and i wait minimum 2 weeks if i use heat and I have high expectations for my hair still. I know I will love it when this weekend comes up.

No. I haven't tried any keracare products.
Also .you mannequin hair before even blow drying it looked smooth and moisturized and I don't think I have ever seen her hair look that good even when washing her hair at my school and using their different products

@Lilmama1011 No, I've never tried that shampoo but I will look into it. Yeah, the Chi is a good blow dryer and it does dry quicker. I hate flat ironing my own hair, but I can do it on someone else though without it looking like who did it and why lol.

Sarenzo Pumpkin moisturizing DC - made my ends stick together!
All APB hair creams and hair lotions - can you say "build up and up and up?"
APB Hair and Body Butters
Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle
Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner
HH Buttery pomade
Afroveda M3 Curl Quench

Last edited:
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie- Made my hair hard and lots of build up on my scalp
Cantu anything- Too much Shea Butter...I gave the rest to my mom who loves Cantu products
Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee Curling Custard- gave a weird stench to my hair :barf:
Pantene anything- Scent was way too strong...gave me a headache at times. :sick2:
Taliah Waajid anything- Did nothing for my hair
Tresseme Naturals Conditioner- Did nothing for my hair
Herbal Essence Conditioners- Did nothing for my hair
Motions Shampoo and Conditioner- Did nothing but set my scalp on fire...:couchfire:

Any shea moisture product I purchased made my hair dry and I couldn't figure out why since all their products contain butters and oils in them.
Organix doesn't do anything for my hair ,once it's dry it goes back to being dry again .
Carol's Daughter Tiare spray made my hair crunchy

Last edited:
Biotin pills....I ended up passing them on to my sisters. It made me feel mannish.
Lolololol!

• Miss Jessie's bucket of purple and yellow slop - whatever the names. And can I tell you that was in 2006 and I'm still POd!
  • OM's Lux Locks. 1) it stank, like all her products I've tried. 2) it was the only thing to ever tangle my hair, it was a steroid to my coils, I've done a lot of humectants before but this took the cake.
  • Mountain Rose Herbs Bentonite Clay it was not the clay most were using for their hair, the disclaimer on the difference in type was in small letters, waste of money and potentially dangerous
  • SM's Raw Shea Butter line, never used, hated the scent. Gave it away, the user disliked it.
  • Hercules Sagemann shark clips, they completely fell apart after 2 uses

I saw a thread like this over on NC and thought it would be a great idea.

I'll go first:

My Honey Child Olive You Conditioner
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Gee (the bottle before last)
Bee Mine Bee-You-Ti-ful Deep Conditioner

Keracare humecto in the bottle. It made my hair shed like crazy after rinsing it out. I heard the 1 in tub is better but im too scared to try it now

Back