I went shopping and here's what I got...

larry3344

I went shopping today and will be going tomorrow I didn't get my S curl yet :grin:. But so far I got a curl refinner "Fresh curls" by RedKen, if anyone especially 4a/b ladies have a review for this product it will be greatly appreciated. I also bought coconut oil, jason proetein biotin conditionner, moisturizing babassu oil conditionner and alovera juice.

Tomorrow I am going to get s curl, vegetable glycerin, suave coconut conditionner, essential oils, shea butter, cocoa butter, satin cap, satin bonnet, wen...I know it's a lot but I am still trying to find my staple products plus I live in the middle of nowhere.

Also I've been having a hard time finding protein conditionner, moisturizing conditionners and finally moisturizers.
Plus for all my canadian ladies where can I find cheap shea butter, cocoa butter vegetable glycerin, rose water, witch's hazel and natural lines (avalon organics, jason, nature's gate,...). Also more expensive lines for cheaper; Nexxus, Abba, Infusium, Biolage, Pureology, Paul Mitchell,kenra, Keracare, Elasta QP, Cantu shea butter, Queen Helen,etc...

I also need help putting a basic regimen together (I am student), I appreciate all the help that I can get... I also have problem with keeping moisture after my hair dries . Finally my hairtype is 4a/b

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to hear someone wants to brag about what they bought today, I just got back from my shopping mission and I bought a silk scarf and Biosilk shampoo and conditioner set w/ the silk therapy for only 19.99.

As for you...no sorry I have not used any of those products but I am interesed in knowing how your protein conditioner works. I looked at the Aphogee protein treatment and it says..."For color treated, permed, or relaxed hair" NOT natural or all hair types. So why would I use it? I need a protein treatment for 2009 if I want to meet my APL goal.

I've heard a lot of good reviews about s-curl and glycerin. :yep: I also have a satin cap to sleep in and it's great for keeping styles in place. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe or a Whole Foods nearby, ( not sure if there are any in Canada) you can go there-- they carry a lot of natural beauty products.--- A GREAT natural moisturizing conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. I'm guessing you're natural... i'm sure more naturals will chime in and help!!!

I went shopping today and will be going tomorrow I didn't get my S curl yet :grin:. But so far I got a curl refinner "Fresh curls" by RedKen, if anyone especially 4a/b ladies have a review for this product it will be greatly appreciated. I also bought coconut oil, jason proetein biotin conditionner, moisturizing babassu oil conditionner and alovera juice.

Tomorrow I am going to get s curl, vegetable glycerin, suave coconut conditionner, essential oils, shea butter, cocoa butter, satin cap, satin bonnet, wen...I know it's a lot but I am still trying to find my staple products plus I live in the middle of nowhere.

Also I've been having a hard time finding protein conditionner, moisturizing conditionners and finally moisturizers.
Plus for all my canadian ladies where can I find cheap shea butter, cocoa butter vegetable glycerin, rose water, witch's hazel and natural lines (avalon organics, jason, nature's gate,...). Also more expensive lines for cheaper; Nexxus, Abba, Infusium, Biolage, Pureology, Paul Mitchell,kenra, Keracare, Elasta QP, Cantu shea butter, Queen Helen,etc...

I also need help putting a basic regimen together (I am student), I appreciate all the help that I can get... I also have problem with keeping moisture after my hair dries . Finally my hairtype is 4a/b
Here is a link that could help you with your new regimen - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html?cat=69 and here is the one that has a few other articles that can assist you in your hair journey - http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html. Hope this helps you a lot.

I love Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner. I use it as a regular conditioner, deep conditioner (with heat) and a leave in. It's a great multipurpose conditioner and the most moisturizing product for my (mostly) 4b hair. I buy it online. It's not cheap, but definitely worth the price.

Also, many ladies (including natural 4a/b) have been raving about Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 as a good moisturizer/leave in. You can get it at Sally's or other BSS. I have not tried it yet, but it's on my list.

Lots of people do like s curl, though I think it works best if there is some humidity.

You seem to already have conditioners, so maybe focus on a good leave-in. Not just curl-defining, but more moisturizing, lubricating, or protecting. You might be able to whip something up with the shea you plan on getting. Shea + aloe + oil (coconut or olive, maybe) is a popular one.

Hopefully some of the other Canadian ladies will let you know what's easily available on that side.

ITA agree with chitowngal on the Elucence MB conditioner love. The only place I have ordered it from is online and CurlMart. They are very quick and I've never had a problem with them.

Also just one little suggestion on the product buying. You may want to just purchase a few things at a time to try out. That way you can find out what works without getting overwhelmed with the process and spending on stuff you man not need. I wouldn't want you to become a product junkie like me. ;)

S curl was cool when I had a TWA. But, I would find something a little heavier and a lot different than S-Curl. I too have been reading that Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 has been great for 4a/b naturals.

And you may not need that protein conditioner stuff. I don't use anything protein specific. My hair needs lots of moisture.

I'm pretty ignorant due to lack of world travels so don't laugh. Do you all have whole foods up there? lol Find a place that sales Aubrey Organics you might love there conditioners on dry hair. You put the conditioner on dry hair let it sit for at least 30 minutes. It leaves the hair really soft and moisturized. I than use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner or Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner as a detangler after I DC w/ Aubrey Organics.

If you're unable to find a local shea butter supplier, check out this site (and they accept PayPal) - http://butters-n-bars.com/. I just purchased a pound of unrefined cocoa butter today!

As a "4A/B" natural, I didn't like coconut oil but you may have a different experience. My hair responded better to castor oil which is heavier. So after my daily co-wash, I'll seal in moisture with Aloe Vera Gel...following that with castor oil. My hair stays soft and moist all day.

I will sometimes use Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner...smells great! Or I'll use a vial of Roux Fermodyl 619 Leave-In Treatment for Curly and Coarse Hair (available at Sally's).

On the weekends, I'll deep condition with Joico. Since I've been DC'ing, I've noticed that I lose less hair when I detangle and I only detangle in the shower when my hair is sopping wet with conditioner...otherwise I don't comb my hair all (less manipulation).

Do you have a Denman brush?

I get a lot of my stuff from www.vitacost.com because their prices are so low. Like veggie glycerin, 100% evcco (coconut oil) any kind of oil you would want, they also have some good protein conditioners, I like products by Giovanni they have a lot others, mostly natural based.

I'm not sure what their shipping fee would be to Canada but I'm sure it's reasonable. They sell all the natural brands Aubery Organics, Avalon Organics, Jason, Nature Gate, and the best Witch Hazel ...

Well I am a newbie so I dont know how much I can help. I have been reading and reading and what I have pick up is that I have to learn what is good for my hair. So I would say read a post on regimen's and sit down and decide what you want to try. Then go back and cut you product list by atleast half and spend some time with your hair.

you remind me of me in 2007. i never used or only used a couple of times about 2/3 of the stuff i bought. i was a pj-bandwagon jumper. i even went back to relaxing cause i thought natural was too hard (forget that i was natural about 3/4 of my life). anyway, i'm gonna wager that you won't even be using most of that stuff this time next year.

by the way, since u r trying stuff, you may want to try Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner if u can. you may like it.

Lots of people do like s curl, though I think it works best if there is some humidity.

You seem to already have conditioners, so maybe focus on a good leave-in. Not just curl-defining, but more moisturizing, lubricating, or protecting. You might be able to whip something up with the shea you plan on getting. Shea + aloe + oil (coconut or olive, maybe) is a popular one.

Hopefully some of the other Canadian ladies will let you know what's easily available on that side.

Yep, make you a concoction. My hair likes what I make versus what the stores put together. I call it tailor made for MY hair. For moisture, keep it simple. I use water and seal with coconut oil. Don't try too many things at once. You won't know what's working and what's not working. I would focus on moisture products though. From what I can tell from the forums and boards, protein overload is hell. If you overload in moisture, it only makes the hair mushy and you have a chance to save it in one protein condish session versus it popping off immediately like it does with protein overload.

Back