i wanted to cry today

Norma15

i saw a lil girl no more than 5 years old
shocked.gif
in the salon getting a wash and set. the woman wash her hair and then proceded to roller set her hair which she was pulling the comb thru her hair. i knew the lil girl wa s in pain. then she was under a dry for about a close to 1 hr and a good 5 mins. wat made me want cry was when started blow drying her hair. she was so rough the lil girl looked like she wanted to cry.then proceded to hot curl the ends. you know wats so wrong her mom wasn't even there she was with her babysitter and she allowed al this to happen and wasn't even paying attention. i feel so bad cause sometimes as single parents we are so busy that we don;t have time to take the time out and do our lil girls hair and help them learn that there hair is beautuiful so we result to leaving them at the salons in the hands of hairdressers. i know that when i have my daugfhters God willing i will do thier hair my self and not let them have to go thru that torture

I remember shedding a few tears while getting my hair done too
cry3.gif
. My mother's texture was so different from mine and I thought I had bad hair.

It also makes me upset when I see little girls with short damaged and thinning hair because I know they must feel like they got stuck with "bad" hair too.

that's such a shame. You know the little girl probably wanted to cry but held it in to keep from getting in trouble....some kids are just so well behaved and sometimes get taken advantaged of or, their good behavior is not appreciated. I've seen some of the meanest parents that beat their kids down for no reason.

That is horrible! The sad part is that girls are being sent to the hairdresser to go through that torture for the mom's convenience not because the child wants it. They too young and don't get a chance to know their hair and figure out what they want because they have to live with the decision. I'm transitioning now because I don't remember the hair thats growing out of my head. Don't get me wrong some little girls want to go to the hairdreser and they want to relax their hair because they like the look or for whatever reason, but I'm sure that particular little girl did not want to go through all that and will resent it when she gets older.

A five year old getting a wet set and sitting under the dryer for an hour? Poor baby. Her mother should be doing her hair at that age.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
That's why I do my daughter's hair myself!

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had children, I'd do the same thing!
up.gif

I can relate. My mother and I go round and round about styling my little cousins hair. I decided to forgo chemicals on her hair about 2 years ago. Her hair has always been shiny and curly. But her dad let one his girlfriends put a perm in when she was 5. Anyway, she's mostly natural now so I prefer afro puffs, pigtails, or buns on her hair. Whereas my mom pulls her hair too tight at the hairline, uses anything to comb her hair with: metal and/or rat tail combs. Even those hard wig brushes to smooth the edges. She thinks I'm crazy and refuses to take my advice. Which amazes me since her hair is so damaged it makes no sense. She's my mother and I respect her. But sometimes I want to scream at her "hello! how the hell do you know about haircare if you refuse to educate yourself?" I mean, so many women in my family are damn near bald headed. I don't want the madness to continue. Last time my grandmother came to visit she said natural hair was ugly. What kind of brainwashing is that?

I felt the same way...when i was getting my hair braided and so was this little girl maybe about 8 yrs old....AND THIS IS THE BAD AND SAD PART....THE LIL GILR ALREADY HAD BRAIDS IN HER HAIR...THE BRAIDS WERE IN HER HAIR FOR 3 MONTHS..THEY WERE SO TANGLED...AND HER MOM WANTED HER TO GET HER BRAIDS DONE ALL OVER..I MEAN HER HEAD WAS SO TENDER SHE WAS CRYING HER EYES OUT THE WHOLE TIME( LADIES I FELT HER PAIN)...AND MY BRAID LADY WAS BENNG REALLY GENTLE...

BUT BECAUSE SHE WAS TAKING OUT HER ORIGINAL BRAIDS AND GETTING THEM DONE ALL OVER AGAIN..HER HEAD WAS TENDER..I MYSELF AS AN ADULT WOULD NOT TAKE OUT BOX BRAIDS AND GET THEM DONE ALL OVER AGAIN IN ONE DAY...

THIS LIL GIRL WAS SO PRETTY...AND SHE WAS CRYING SO MUCH I FELT BAD FOR HER SO I STARTED TO HELP TAKE OUT HER BRAIDS AND I TOLD MY BRAID LADY TO CALL HER MOTHER AND TELL HER IF SHE COULD WAIT A WEEK OR 2 B4 PUTTING THE BRAIDS BACK IN HER HAIR...THE MOTHER RESPONSDED NO SHE COULDNT...BECUZ SHE WOULDNT HAVE THE TIME( THEY WERE FROM JERSEY AND HAD DRIVEN 2 HOURS TO GO TO MY BRAID LADY)

MY MAIN POINT IS HOW COULD HER MOTHER DO THAT TO HER...IF YOU GUYS HAD SAW THE LIL GIRL( SHE LOOKED LIKE A LIL EBONY PRINCESS) AND HOW MUCH SHE WAS CRYING AND SHE WAS ORIGINALLY TRYING TO HOLD BACK HER TEARS...AND BE STRONG BUT IF THAT WAS ME I WOULD HAVE WAITED AT LEAST A WEEK B4 PUTTING BOX BRAIDS BACK IN MY HAIR...PLUS THE MOTHER HAD LEFT HER ORIGINAL BRAIDS IN FOR 3 MONHTS SO THEY WERE VERY...I MEAN VERY HARD TO TAKE OUT...AND THEN TO GET THEM DONE OVER..THAT IS PURE TORTURE TO ME...WHEN I SAW THE MOTHER I TOLD HER HOW MUCH THAT HURT ME TO SEE HER DAUGHTER CRYING SO MUCH AND THAT A 8YR OLD SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT MUCH PAIN AT ANY TIME...

My daughter has always had the thickest curly locks. Like the sister on Half and Half. I would leave it out and curly. People asked why. She is 7 and natural now. It is beautiful and down her back. She is super tenderheaded anyway. I jist make sure its oiled and open. I hate to see little girls with hair ballies on so tight its pulling out the hair follicle.

I may sound harsh but this is how I feel: when a woman chooses to have a baby & has a girl, it's mom's job to learn how to do that girl's hair (whatever texture it is) & if she can't put some love & care into making her own child feel beautiful & loved, she's a SORRY SO-AND-SO.

I've seen too many lazy, sorry, trifling women & the pain they create in their children by not taking a little time out to get educated about hair. I know everyone is not a "hair person" but learning how to braid is not that hard; if you can cornrow, even better. I'm not saying you gotta learn how to do styles like Alicia Keys', just simple little girl styles. I have a 7 year-old & we're both natural & plan to stay that way & I tell my dd all the time how beautiful her hair is & how lucky she is to have it. I'd never send my dd to a salon at this age.

BTW, I don't know if this is worse than the time I saw a ONE YEAR-OLD getting braid extensions or not.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
That's why I do my daughter's hair myself!

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish I had done that with my daughter, but I had to learn the hard way. My kids are bi-racial and their hair is a different texture from mine and always frizzed out I would do her hair every morning befor school and when I picked her up in the afternoon, she looked as if her hair hadnt been combed in a week or two. When my daughter was six I
had a relaxer put in her hair, it reached down to her butt. It was so pretty. But then it started to break off because I found out that the hair dresser didnt wash out the relaxer as good as she should have(another person that this happened to told me when I mentioned my daughters hair breakage.) now my daughter is fifteen and her hair has never grown back the way it was its only about shoulder length. I wish I could get her interested in LHCF, but she has no interest in hair at all. To this very day I am still angry with myself for allowing this to happen to my little girl.
mad.gif

Back