i want to start oiling my scalp

CarLiTa

i did a little experiment this week. a couple months after i joined LHCF, i started to not get breakage anymore (yay!) but since May 05, my hair has been shedding a lot more, since the day i got my relaxer May 30th... my scalp is starting to really really hate relaxers or something. Maybe it has to do with how long i stretch perms or whatever, i'm not sure. Anyway, yeah I shed a lot... too much in my opinion. so i'm always thinking that I need an extra trim, but some things don't work for me, like Vaseline on ends, bcause i seem to pull out more hair or whatever.

i figured that it was dry scalp (possibly from getting relaxers) that was causing the shedding and that if i kept my scalp moisturized, then I would have no shedding or at least minimal shedding. I did a little experiment a while back, and it worked well. I oiled my scalp and i didnt get shedding.
I did it again this week, this time with some castor oil, and even though it stunk, i was like 'oh freaking well'... it's funny though, this girl was next to me and she kept saying that she was smelling hotdogs... i told her i had food in my band bag... i would never say 'oh no, it's my hair'

ok, so i oiled my scalp a little bit with the oil and i oiled my hair too, and i've been keeping it in a clip this past week. I co-washed last Saturday, and I plan to clarify tomorrow and do a porosity control treatment. I've noticed that my hair hasn't shed at all, i'm really thinking that it's from having the oil on my scalp, because i sweat at band practice and that really dries out my scalp after a while.
right now though, my scalp itches like a ****!!! i really need to wash my hair! lol i got used to this twice a week stuff, lol...

but anyway, which oils do u think i should use? i was thinking of oiling twice a week after each wash.

CarLiTa said:
i did a little experiment this week. a couple months after i joined LHCF, i started to not get breakage anymore (yay!) but since May 05, my hair has been shedding a lot more, since the day i got my relaxer May 30th... my scalp is starting to really really hate relaxers or something. Maybe it has to do with how long i stretch perms or whatever, i'm not sure. Anyway, yeah I shed a lot... too much in my opinion. so i'm always thinking that I need an extra trim, but some things don't work for me, like Vaseline on ends, bcause i seem to pull out more hair or whatever.

i figured that it was dry scalp (possibly from getting relaxers) that was causing the shedding and that if i kept my scalp moisturized, then I would have no shedding or at least minimal shedding. I did a little experiment a while back, and it worked well. I oiled my scalp and i didnt get shedding.
I did it again this week, this time with some castor oil, and even though it stunk, i was like 'oh freaking well'... it's funny though, this girl was next to me and she kept saying that she was smelling hotdogs... i told her i had food in my band bag... i would never say 'oh no, it's my hair'

ok, so i oiled my scalp a little bit with the oil and i oiled my hair too, and i've been keeping it in a clip this past week. I co-washed last Saturday, and I plan to clarify tomorrow and do a porosity control treatment. I've noticed that my hair hasn't shed at all, i'm really thinking that it's from having the oil on my scalp, because i sweat at band practice and that really dries out my scalp after a while.
right now though, my scalp itches like a ****!!! i really need to wash my hair! lol i got used to this twice a week stuff, lol...

but anyway, which oils do u think i should use? i was thinking of oiling twice a week after each wash.

Carlita,

What a coincedence! I went to buy isoplus castro oil at Walmart yesterday. I like the smell. Anyway ,I used it on my little girl's 4a thick long hair, and it worked wonders! Her hair was soft and shiney when I picked her up from school today. Her hair usually look like I haven't combed it in a week, but today it was fresh looking and shiney. I used water, little bit of shea butter, and castrol oil, and it worked good for her natural hair. I plan on using a little bit on my hair. My mother- in- law has beautiful hair and that is what she use. Her hair is always shinning, even when it isn't combed.

I am definitely going to give this isoplus castrol oil a whirl!

yeah, that ispolus castor oil is great. I like to use it for touch-ups, but now that you mentioned your little theory, I may try to use it more often.

CarLiTa said:

Hey girlie!
I definitely think it's a good idea to start oiling twice a week. The salt left behind from sweating in your head can cause mucho shedding. I experienced this first hand and for the longest I couldn't figure it out. Then this "hair stylist" that I was going to last year was like, "You need stop working out because your head is shedding." I looked at her like she had 3 heads! :eek: I was like :nono: My health is WAY more important than being vain...so I tried oiling my scalp before working out and it whipped my shedding problem into shape. I like to use Wild Growth oil or jojoba oil depending on how much new growth I have.

HHG!!! :grin:

thanx for the replies guys!! i will start oiling soon... tomorrow i'm going to the BSS, i love looking at beauty supplies now, :lol: and if I find the Wild Growth Oil, i might get it depending on the smell and thickness. My mom ordered some oils from Haiti for me but the lady who's buying them isn't back yet and i'm getting impatient! this is a vital part of my regimen, lol. I'm going to ask my dad if i could use his credit card and order 2pounds of shea butter online, i'll stay it's for my sunburnt skin, lol, since he'll think i'm being vain about the hair thing.

i might use jojoba oil or avocado oil, since i read that both are very penetrating.

Thanks Carlita, I just order some Shea Butter, and Mango Butter. It didn't say how long it would take. Have you ever order from Crabapple before? If so, how long does it take?

Hey guys, especially Carlita,

I have to suggest Qumet Biologics (spelling?) Alma Oil Nourishing Pomade -- honestly, it is the BEST and BEST SMELLING OIL I have ever oiled my scalp with!!!!!!! So you know I couldn't read this post without sharing the wealth. :D My hair really doesn't seem to like grease, it just sits ontop of my hair and somehow manages to make it dry yet greasy at the same time. Castor oil (the real, liquid kind) does work pretty well, but it does smell bad and leaves my hair a tad sticky. But this Alma oil pomade soaks in perfectly -- what I used to do is oil my scalp section by section, brush it through my hair, and braid it up at night. Now, I can't figure out when to use it though because I've been doing wash and gos every morning... but I will figure out a system. Either way, the Alma oil pomade stays!

Back