I want to get my hair braided. Can y'all help me ?

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I want to get my hair braided. Can y\'all help me ?

I want to get my hair braided in a corn row style with synthetic hair. Similar to this one:
cat6838.jpg
Can you tell me what to do before I get them in? How do I care for them?

I had these same braids before and tried washing them. When I took them out it was like I had put elmers white glue in them!!!!
swearing.gif
A LOT of hair came out because it had hard globs in it
frown.gif
. I thought I had rinsed well. How do I avoid that? Is there a specific shampoo or conditioner I should use? Thanks in advance for all of your input. PLEASE HELP!!!
Rose.gif

PS. NY PEEPS. How much should I pay for this style? Last time I paid $70. I felt robbed!

Re: I want to get my hair braided. Can y\'all help me ?

iam a male with shoulder lengh hair and i used to have conrows for like 1 year all i can tell u make sure u get a professional braider cause with these u wont get hair commin out cause they dont pull to tight and they know how to braid properly.....when i had cornrows the only thing i used was water and coconut oil in a spray bottle and i sprayed at nite and thats all i needed no extra stuff so try that out.

My braider will prob charge you less for this style...and do a superb job..the salon is Destiny hair studio..on 233rd st in the bx...#2 train will take you right there..pm me if you want more info...

Make sure you wash and condition the braids on a regular basis. Dilute the shampoo in a cup of water. I wash and condition at least once a week and apply a leave in conditioner. Some people use stocking caps to combat frizz. Use some sort of braidspray daily to help with moisture and make sure you wrap you hair in something silky or satiny every night.

hey, that's a cute style. I had my hair done similar to that a few months back, but I couldn't keep it because the top got fuzzy so fast, and I didn't wash my braids I usually deep condition/treat before and after getting extensions. In between, I clean my scalp with ORS herbal cleanse, essential oils mixed with a little lime juice, or some of my skin toner I use on my face (witch hazel is good too)

All you gotta do is wash and condtion your hair. And oil your scalp every two to three days. And use braid spray in between.

that style is really cute mly3e where did you get the pic? i might be trying that soon
smile.gif
here's what i do when i wear braids- every wk or so i clean my scalp with witch hazel(i was scared to wash them b4 because fear of the braids loosening, but next time i get braids i will try washing them) every two days i will spray the BRAIDS NOT SCALP with infusium 23 leave-in and African Royale braid spray. I spray my scalp with the Infusium once a week after cleaning it with the witch hazel(ONLY ONCE A WEEK TO AVOID BUILDUP) I usually try to wear my braids for 6wks only
smile.gif
Also when taking them out, fill a spray bottle with water and some African Royale braids spray, spray this mixture on braids and let it saturate. After that proceed to taking them out VERY carefully by sections. Clip each section into place to avoid tangling. Also b4 you get braids i will suggest using a gentle cleansing shampoo(Creme of Nature, the Professional Formula)for your hair, and proceed to deep condition for about 2 hrs with LeKair Cholesterol mixed with a little olive oil. Wet set with a leave-in of your choice with braids. Since my hair is almost natural, i find this to stretch my hair making it easier for the braider to braid. You could also rub a little Vitamin e on your hairline every couple of days when in braids to help with any tension or possible thinning. I hope this helps

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You all for your advice.
weird.gif
! I will combine it all and use witch hazel to clean my scalp, a braid spray that contains coconut oil, and try to wash it once a week with diluted shampoo. I always use a satin scarf, but I may need to sew 2 together for this amount of hair I will try to post pics.
spinning.gif
. Thanks again!

that style is really cute mly3e where did you get the pic? i might be trying that soon

I have this book in my house, so I did a google search on the title. I have had this style before last summer, but didn't have it long (2-1/2 weeks) because I didn't know how to care for it.
nuts.gif

mly3e check your pm...;o)

I was just about to ask a similar question. I too am preparing for braids and want to strengthen my hair before i get them. i have a month and a half before i get them so i was going to do condition washes and protein treatments to strengthen it. i wanted to soften up the new growth before i get it braided, so can when i wash it can i put s-curl spray and coconut oil to soften it before i put on the braids?

would that be too much for the hair? would it cause buildup? i just want the hair to be soft so the lady wont be hacking through my hair. plus i am hoping the condition washes will help. is it good to do a condition wash before you put on braids? again will that cause buildup?

last question (sorry for hijaking this thread) when people say they do condition washes with braids are they doing it to the entire scalp or just the ends? how are you preventing buildup??

(obviously i am concerned with buildup) TIA. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Azul,
It is ok to do protien treatments but not to many, they will make the hair brittle if over done. I suggest about every 4-6 week on that. You can co all of that conditioning up until the day before you have it braided but you don't want a lot of product on your hair when it is being done. It will make the braids slip. If you have done all of these things up until braid time and wash and condition your hair the night before it should be soft.

It sounds like you are concerned with buildup. It takes a long time before product builds up on your hair. Might I suggest a clarifying shampoo when needed. You can usually tell when it is time to do this because your hair doesn't respond the same when product is built up on it.

I do conditioner washes now daily with my braids and my new growth is exceptionally soft. I put my conditioner in a cup and fill it half way with water and swish around. Then I pour it all over my scalp and hair and massage in. After I take my braids out I will do a clarifying shampoo to combat buildup.

You don't have to use a creamy conditioner on your braids. You can use Infusium like EgyptianSand mentioned. If your hair is in good condition when you get the braids (do a deeeeep conditioner and don't relax 3-6 weeks beforehand), the leave in will help you maintain the condition if you don't wear them longer than 2 months. Also, use braid spray every day. Concentrate on the area of the braids where your own ends are.
Some braid sprays are sticky so I try to get Better Braids and that helps. You should definately dilute your shapoo especially if it is thick like CON, and try to concentrate on cleansing your scalp, not your braids. The witch hazel worked for me too, but I prefer a little shampoo and water. The fuzzies have never been a big prob for me. This will all help minimize the build-up issue. See what your scalp likes best.

Don't let them braid your hair too tight! There should be NO wrinkles and your scalp should not feel or look excessively tight. Don't try to be brave and suffer through too-tight braids. If it looks and feels like it's pulling your edges out, it probably is. And don't worry about
a few fly-aways. You should be able to smooth them down later.

Back