I used Bigen to permanently dye my greys black...

zzirvingj

...three weeks ago, yet it looks like the color has "washed off". :perplexed

I mean, it looks as though the same greys are popping up..they just look a tad bit darker or "bronzy". It appeared to be a perfect dye job at first.

What gives?? :nono::sad:

Hmmm, that's strange. Bigen is supposed to be permanent. I planned on using it this upcoming weekend because my hair is a washed out black because of the sun and chemicals.

Grey hair is very stubborn to dye and if your hair is natural and healthy it may make it even harder. Also product on hair like butters etc can affect the depositing of the color as well. If you apply it again use Porosity control or something with a lower ph to insure it covers evenly. Also wash with cool water instead of warm or hot it will extend the life of the color.

This is one of the reasons I stopped using Bigen. I loved the first week but after that the color changed to brownish instead of Oriental Black. I just scooped up Revlon Color Silk and have used it ever since :D

Note: It works great on greys :D

This is one of the reasons I stopped using Bigen. I loved the first week but after that the color changed to brownish instead of Oriental Black. I just scooped up Revlon Color Silk and have used it ever since :D

Note: It works great on greys :D

I'm gonna have to give this a try.

My mom has been dying her grey with bigen for yrs and has never had a problems..she retouched every month..i wonder why urs washed out..hmmm..interesting..

Same thing happens to me OP and I have a LOT of grays.
I haven't had any problems with Bigen but would like to try another brand.
Still thinking about henna+indigo...

She talks about why this is not a good product
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO38tOdK-XE

Thanks for the link!

I also found this info online (so even if we think we are not using ammonia we are still using hair dye with same ph level as ammonia, I didn't know that)
I saw this at Paula Begoun's website (the cosmetic cop) and thought I'd share. I've seen this website (www.robertcraig.com) and thought it sounded great, so I'm glad that Paula checked it out!

Dear Paula,
Robert Craig hair color claims to be the only dye that does not harm hair (www.robertcraig.com) because it doesn’t contain ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, fragrance, or alcohol. However I have read on your Web site that in order to permanently change hair color, some of the chemical process that takes place always causes some amount of damage. What do you think of Craig’s hair-color claims? Below are the ingredients in one of his colors: 2,6-Diaminopyridine Sulfate; 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene; m-Aminophenol Sulfate; bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate; p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate; Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate; Sodium Perborate; Sodium Silicate; Xanthan Gum.

Sarah, via email

Dear Sarah,
At first I was fascinated at the notion someone might have really developed a permanent hair color that didn’t use hydrogen peroxide. From everything I’ve ever read and from every hair-care chemist I’ve ever interviewed, it seemed improbable. Hydrogen peroxide is irreplaceable, as it is the only ingredient that can remove some (or a lot) of the color inside the hair shaft in order to make room for the hair-dye molecules. Other products often boast that they don’t contain ammonia but that claim isn’t of any significance, because most hair dyes don’t use it anymore, having replaced it with other substances (typically triethanalomine) that have the same effect on hair, but without the odor. Ammonia or triethanalomine both have a high pH, which opens the hair shaft, allowing the hair-dye molecules to penetrate. It is the combination of hydrogen peroxide and a high-pH ingredient that allows permanent hair dye to work. But not using hydrogen peroxide? Now that would be a horse of a different color.

I went to the Color by Robert Craig Web site and sure enough, there it was, the claim that his hair dye “is the all-new permanent hair color that delivers gorgeous, natural results without a trace of harmful peroxide, ammonia, alcohol or perfume. Plus, built-in conditioners
leave the hair silky, luminous and shining with health.” As colorful and hair-healthy as this sounds, at best the entire claim can be described as sneaky. In reality, it is just blatantly false. Here’s why:

What this product does contain is an ingredient called sodium perborate. When mixed with water, sodium perborate reacts, releasing hydrogen peroxide (in fact, a lot of hydrogen peroxide). Sodium perborate is frequently used in laundry detergents and other products as a way to keep hydrogen peroxide stable. Not as surprising, however, is the fact that this product contains no ammonia. Yet it still has a very high pH, also due to the sodium perborate, which releases borax as part of the same chemical reaction with water. So, while this product doesn’t technically contain peroxide or ammonia (and they are not listed on the ingredient list), just add some water to the formula as directed and voilà! you get hydrogen peroxide and an ingredient that raises the pH of the product to the same level ammonia would. You also get a hair dye that is just as problematic for hair as any other.

A few more points: Perfume isn’t harmful to hair in the least, though it can be irritating to skin; also, alcohol is not used in most hair-dye products. But in terms of harmful ingredients, as is true for all hair-care products, this one contains an assortment of p-phenylenediamines and 4-amino-2-hydroxytoluene. There are safety concerns about these ingredients, but as far as hair dyes go, if you want to change the color of your hair for any length of time, and in a controlled manner (so that you can, to some extent, rely on the color you will be getting), no other options have yet been developed, although Craig seems to have left that part of the information out of his marketing copy.

I almost forgot: If there are built-in conditioners in this product, they aren’t on the label, because none of the ingredients listed there are conditioning in the least.

Grey hair is very stubborn to dye and if your hair is natural and healthy it may make it even harder. Also product on hair like butters etc can affect the depositing of the color as well. If you apply it again use Porosity control or something with a lower ph to insure it covers evenly. Also wash with cool water instead of warm or hot it will extend the life of the color.

I never knew the bolded information. I have natural gray hairs at the temple and I use butters. Thanks for the info.

I used Bigen a few times but didn't like it too much.... It seems lots of the colors wear off after 2-3 washes... :nono:

Although I don't want permanent color it still didn't last long like I though it would.. :ohwell:

When covering gray the best coverage is when you use a red filler first, esp with a blue black. so meaning dye it red first then used the black on top. It gives a much better coverage.hth

I use Bigen to cover my grays as well and have noticed that it doesnt last as long as I'd like.. I dont want to go the 'permanent' route.. off to click these links above :D

I used Bigen about 2 weeks ago, and the color held up well after about 3 or 4 washes. However, within a couple of hours I did have an irritation on my forehead right at the hairline (the only area that I applied the dye). It was itchy, sore and kind of red--a bit smaller than a dime. It's hard to describe the pain, but it felt like a large pimple would surface. I used neosporin and it went away in a couple of days. Needless to say, I won't be using it again.:nono:

I mean, it looks as though the same greys are popping up..they just look a tad bit darker or "bronzy". It appeared to be a perfect dye job at first.

same thing happens to me. my grey I call "white"...it is VERY resistant. I've found Bigen to be the best at coloring grey though. I know I don't leave it on long enough because I am scared, but I also know that because I use a lot of oil that it doesn't penetrate as deep as it should. I've used it on clarified hair before a DC and it is solid and lasts. You might try that.

This is so true.

You have to check out that Youtube link. The vlogger talks about how though it's labeled permanent, there is no way it can be permanent. She explains the product, it's ingredients, and what it really does quite well.

I would like to see it, where is the link?

eta: nevermind I found it.

On the box and on the website, it says that Bigen is permanent. But when you go to the FAQs it says

Is Bigen a permanent hair color?
Yes, it is a permanent hair color that features a depositing action only. It does not rub off, and its color stays 4 to 6 weeks.

If it only stays for 4 to 6 weeks, it can't be permanent. Weird.

Are you sure it washed out? Perhaps your hair grew? Hair grows on average 1/2" a month so after a few weeks you should be seeing some greys again at the roots.

I used to use Bigen and it colored my hair permenantly. I stopped using it though, it gave me headaches and I just didn't think it was good to use long term.. I now switched over to ColorGems Demi Permenant.

Back